Job Centre "customer compliance interview"

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 528
Forum Member
✭✭
Can anyone help me out here please?
I have been claiming income support and disability living allowance since the end of 2008. My husband also gets carers allowance.
My problem is not a physical problem though so to an outsider it may seem that all is fine, I have severe mental health problems.

Anyway, yesterday I received a letter from the Job centre inviting me to a customer compliance interview with the compliance officer as a "query" has arisen with my claim.

A google search found that the wording of the letter tends to mean there has been an accusation made against me but they do not have enough evidence to take it further.
The only real info I managed to find though was from single parents having to prove that they are still single and not part of a couple.
I could not find any information from people in receipt for disability reasons.

Can anyone help me out with what to expect? I hardly slept last night through anxiety about this interview.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The same thing happened to me, the letters are very harsh sounding and they sent me into a panic when they sent one to me too. And I had to wait almost a week for my interview. However in most cases it really is just to go over your claim, for me it was that I am registered self employed but not earning from my self employment right now, so I was filling in a form at every signing to declare how many hours I'd worked and what (if anything) I'd earned, and because I was submitting them all the time with no wage on them they wanted to ask about it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Your google search is just about correct, although it is not necessarily that someone has made an allegation against you. These types of cases have normally been passed to the fraud section first but it has not met their scoring criteria for whatever reason so they pass it to compliance.
    My advice, as someone who used to conduct these interviews, is just to be honest........
  • JinnyJinxedJinnyJinxed Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just had my Compliance Interview and honestly, don't panic about it. If you are honest, you have absolutely nothing to worry about, its just a routine check for them.

For me, the officer told me it was because I was a long term claimant, but in addition to this, someone had apparently seen me leave the house for a few hours, 3 times a week and called in. Even though this was not indicated in the initial letter, I did bring evidence with me to say that this was for my physiotherapy/gym sessions. I also had evidence to say that my father had recently deposited money into my bank account to pay for house roof repairs, and the letter from the roofing company and insurance company, to back this up. I had letters for doctors appointments, and letters for mental health therapy appointments, with me too. The interviewer laughed at the amount of evidence I had with me, as everything she questioned, I whipped out another bit of paper, to back up what I was saying. She said it saved a lot of delay and waiting for information, although she also said it was a little concerning that I felt I needed to defend myself so meticulously against the DWP.....that was until I told her about all the troubles I have encountered with them, during every unfortunate time I've needed their assistance.

For me, she went over my NI number, name, contact details, who lives with me, how long I've claimed for, and why I claimed initially. What I am doing about finding work, and what websites I use to do so, etc. They read my bank statements, and questioned 2 transactions that were not made in a supermarket, but with a gift company (both were for less than £8, and made weeks apart, so I thought it was a cheek to question it really) but I had the invoices of the purchases with me that showed the items bought, and both were obviously gifts. I should add that you don't need to go that far - it's just me and my 'they want to stop my JSA' paranoia kicking in!. She asked for evidence of my 3 a week appointments, and evidence that on those days, I was still actively seeking work (showed her the the job book and a couple random application emails corresponding to the dates that I also had the physio sessions) and also I had a selection of copies of rejection letters with me too, just to prove I was applying for work. She didn't ask to see those, but I shoved them at her anyway. Lol. After that, I was sent off and told to attend my next sign on as normal. It took about 45minutes in total for me, but the chap before me had been there over an hour apparently. The chap on the next desk got a telling off from his compliance officer because the appointment was for his wife, and he decided she should stay at home and look after the kids, and he would attend instead. He said she was disabled, and then said she is unable to leave the children, and unable to speak english, so he was there instead. They insisted that she must come in as they are unable to discuss details with anyone other than the claimant. A shouting match ensued from the customer side, and security was called - so if getting there is an issue for you, make sure you contact them via the telephone number provided in advance of your appointment!

Just be honest, try to pull all your own paperwork together, that supports your claim and don't worry about a thing. You have nothing to hide, so you don't need to worry. The main reason they conduct this interview is because you are a long term claimant apparently.

Hope the above helps ease your mind, and best of luck with your appointment. It really isn't as bad as it sounds.