New start time perhaps

Davetherave70Davetherave70 Posts: 553
Forum Member
✭✭
Given the decision to move The Voice to 8:20 from Sat 20th, do you think Dr Who will be getting a later start time?

Comments

• F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope so because sice starting at 615 I only catch the last 10 minutes of it, I'm going to miss the whole thing this week with the 6pm start time.

I miss when it was on at 645 or 7pm It feels more natural.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's on at 6.45pm that week. Ironically no doubt this will lead to endless whining about it partially clashing with BGT inspite of it doing rather well in the same slot when A Good Man Goes to War aired there.

That said, half an hour difference is neither here nor there.
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    It's on at 6.45pm that week. Ironically no doubt this will lead to endless whining about it partially clashing with BGT inspite of it doing rather well in the same slot when A Good Man Goes to War aired there.

That said, half an hour difference is neither here nor there.
    The trailer says its on at 6:00
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    The trailer says its on at 6:00

we are talking about the 20th april if you read the op.....;)
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's on ridiculously early. It doesn't feel like time to settle down for the evening in front of the box when it's on so I tend to record it and watch it at about 8
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »
    It's on ridiculously early. It doesn't feel like time to settle down for the evening in front of the box when it's on so I tend to record it and watch it at about 8

you say that, but in the hayday of the classic series it used to go out before 6pm! ;)

Personally I think people get a little too fixated on the 7pm slot. It was re-launched in that slot and started gradually moving away from it once it was established. And as you rightly note, Doctor Who fans watch the show at their own convenience on a saturday and will continue to do so. The xmas special going out at 5pm was probably a bit on the early side, but still just about okay for xmas day, but really any time after 6pm is fine.
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    we are talking about the 20th april if you read the op.....;)

Oh sorry
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,618
    Forum Member
    The later the time slot the higher the overnights go generally. I think Doctor Who benefits from a later time if people are still working or its around a busy family tea time. It was given a crediable 7pm start at the beginning and it needs to have that again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    The later the time slot the higher the overnights go generally.

I don't think that is really conclusively supported by the data, tbh A number of factors can influence overnights to a degree, but I think any increase is fairly marginal.

The show continues to maintain the same viewing figures now as it did when it launched, but the way people watch the show has changed, it's unlikely they are going to change back if the show is suddenly shown marginally later. Indeed, the autumn run last year, when it typically aired later didn't impact on overnights significantly.

Like I said, people are way to fixated on the 7pm slot like it's some kind of mystical holy grail.
  • GaladrielGaladriel Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't put it past the BBC to change the timings so that Doctor Who clashes with BGT and The Voice does not! :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Galadriel wrote: »
    I wouldn't put it past the BBC to change the timings so that Doctor Who clashes with BGT and The Voice does not! :o

Well actually both shows will overlap BGT. As I noted though, when A Good Man Goes To War was in a similar position it didn't impact on it's overnight ratings much if at all. The point is that BGT and The Voice will have a much bigger overlap of audience than BGT and Doctor Who.
    Forum Member
    Saturday 20 April
    BBC ONE

Doctor Who - Hide
    Confirmed for BBC One on 20 April at 6.45pm to 7.30pm

The Voice UK
    Confirmed for BBC One on 20 April at 8.20pm to 9.20pm

Source
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Doctor Who now has a far bigger overlap with BGT than The Voice?

Those who wanted a later start time...be careful what you wish for.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Callous wrote: »
    Those who wanted a later start time...be careful what you wish for.

Like that time in 1989 when we wished for a later start time to avoid the clash with Coronation Street and the BBC said 'how about 16 years later?'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    6:15pm is too early! I understand it's a kids show and so younger viewers need to tune in but I would like Doctor Who to become more established in primetime television. A 7.30pm start wouldn't be too bad but I'm sure many would complain about that too.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,618
    Forum Member
    Its Doctor When nowadays and that's increasing timeshifting and I player figures. The bells of st john was 6.15pm and got 8.4 million in the end so I guess it right that it really doesn't matter where they place it as it can still do well in this day and age. But I personally think 7 pm is a bit of a grail as appointment viewing can sometimes happen if viewers know a programme is at a fixed time. Id rather see it broadcast on a Sunday evening now even it it was 6.30. I just hate the way they move it around all the time and I dont know how it will fare against BGT. I also wish this series had been prepared for the first part of the year. Theres nothing better than seeing Doctor Who at the top of the ratings.
  • snakecharmer37snakecharmer37 Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    6:15pm is too early! I understand it's a kids show and so younger viewers need to tune in but I would like Doctor Who to become more established in primetime television.

I do wish people would not say that rubbish. For the last time, and try to make it sink in to those mouldy brains. Doctor Who is NOT a kids show.
    And I quote, 'Doctor Who is a British science fiction television programme produced by the BBC.
    It is not aimed at kids specifically, the show is for family viewing.'
    People might not think that, with the way Moffat is writing at the moment, but those are the facts.
    If you want kids programmes, go and watch cbeebies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do wish people would not say that rubbish. For the last time, and try to make it sink in to those mouldy brains. Doctor Who is NOT a kids show.
    And I quote, 'Doctor Who is a British science fiction television programme produced by the BBC.
    People might not think that, with the way Moffat is writing at the moment, but those are the facts.
    If you want kids programmes, go and watch cbeebies.

It's rather childish the way you drag Moffat in to everything for a quick bash in totally unrelated threads.

Anyway, the reality is that many people have for many years (i.e since it started) have viewed Doctor Who as a children's programme. It's not an unusual viewpoint. Personally, I see it as a family show, but it's a purely subjective opinion.

I think the only reason it grates with some people is that they personally don't like the idea of anyone thinking they watch a show aimed at children, but like it or not, it's a show that is at least has always seen children as a key part of it's demographic.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes the time should change..... to winter when its dark earlier... its hard to get 'scared' when birds are twittering their spring songs and its daylight outside.

dark murky wintry evenings add so much more to the atmosphere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    I misinterpreted the thread title as "time for a new start" :o
    ...interesting idea nevertheless. :cool:
  • C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member

De Nile is a river in Egypt. Watch the classic series without rose-tinted glasses and you'll see just how bloody childish it is. Family viewing? Yes. Officially. Biggest and most influencial audience being kids? Definitely.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Doctor Who being on at Saturday teatime...thats where it was for the best part of 20 odd years!

For the first time this week, I sat down with my whole family to watch, just like I used to back in the 70s rather than having to watch it much later because it clashed with getting 4 kids ready for bed!
  • owlycherriesowlycherries Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it should go back to 7pm :) That's always been the time I associate with Doctor Who. Anything earlier is just too early imo.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it should go back to 7pm :) That's always been the time I associate with Doctor Who. Anything earlier is just too early imo.

The time associated with Doctor Who for the majority of its long term run was between 5 and 6!
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    The time associated with Doctor Who for the majority of its long term run was between 5 and 6!
    I remember it well. It became, simply, what was always “on after Grandstand“. :D