The Phantom Pain (AKA Metal Gear Solid 5?)

The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
Forum Member
Check it out

and follow up here

Thoughts?

Seems like MGS5 is the most logical answer. I hope to god they ditch the Big Boss distractions and give us back Solid Snake proper (the story has already been to weirder places than any explanation for his re-youthing could take us). It'd be nice if the hook hand was part of the bluff too rather than another rubbish Kojima gimmick to revolve gameplay around.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check it out

and follow up here

Thoughts?

Seems like MGS5 is the most logical answer. I hope to god they ditch the Big Boss distractions and give us back Solid Snake proper (the story has already been to weirder places than any explanation for his re-youthing could take us). It'd be nice if the hook hand was part of the bluff too rather than another rubbish Kojima gimmick to revolve gameplay around.

Snake Eater was a fantastic game and that was big boss, Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes is big boss and looks incredible, i don't see what the problem with big boss

In terms on this gameplay footage, it looks incredible and i'd eat my hat (if i had one) if this wasn't either Metal Gear Solid 5 or at least featured Old Snake in a prominent role

The future looks amazing for the metal gear franchise with now 3 (possibly 2) games to look forward to
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    It's not so much that I find Big Boss games to be bad per se (though they're not the best) I just find his story far less interesting. The broad strokes have long been done, everything else we get from him is just padding now. We've had Solid Snake for only two full games, one of which had him gimped by the ridiculous premature ageing idea.
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    A game about liquid?
    Forum Member
    Highly unlikely (wrong arm among other things) but my god I would give anything for it to be that.
  • Gizmo210688Gizmo210688 Posts: 4,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got to say, after watching the trailer, the main character bears a very striking resemblance to either Solid Snake or Big Boss.

It could be MGS 5, could be another spin off game, could be something totally different. Whatever it is, I'll be keeping an eye on it!
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phantom pain - isn't that a condition amputees can suffer from

That was my pointless contribution to the thread. :o
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    It could be a metal gear solid version of life on Mars, Snake/Big Boss goes into a coma and goes back to 1939. He is in constant conflict with his command team (The Cobra Unit) because he has modern ideas and they have traditional ideas, Has he gone back in time?, Is he dead? or is he in a Coma.
  • Gizmo210688Gizmo210688 Posts: 4,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Link here :D

Thought this would be a perfect time to bump this thread, seeing as though it is now official that Metal Gear Solid 5 is happening.

Looks pretty sick, I just hope that it doesn't require a playthrough of Peace Walker to get the jist of everything (as it looks like it could be set after Peace Walker), as I really can't seem to get into that.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    After watching that trailer, it heavily references the events of PW, also, bastards, we spend a wjole game building up Mother Base only for them to go and destroy it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Looks awesome, however if the rumors i'm hearing about Konami dumping David Hayter are true then i'm considerably less interested, seeing Snake and not hearing David Hayter's distinctive voice would be an experience killer for me. I'd still end up buying it because i'm a Metal Gear Solid junkie, but it just wouldn't seem right without him.
    Forum Member
    It's apparently Richard Doyle doing the voice of post Coma Big Boss, which makes sense, he was the voice of Big Boss in MGS4, so age wise, he had to slowly change to that voice, most people who played PW will know how David Hayter's Big Boss sounded really harsh and rough compared to earlier games, so the intro alone is set a couple of years after PW, then include that Nine Year Coma!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    must admit it does look pretty decent interesting to see more content.
  • yoyo_ninja_girlyoyo_ninja_girl Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    David Hayter has confirmed on twitter that he's not doing the voice, absolutely gutted it definitely won't be the same
    Forum Member
    Really though, I can't be the only one who has to stifle a yawn every time yet another Big Boss game is announced.
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never played a Metal Gear Solid game so if I play this I won't have a clue, from what my brother tells me it doesn't make much sense anyway lol. But i'd like to have a go at the older games first. Is there a good order to play them? Including handheld games, I have a Vita so that's not a problem.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    Joydtiq got Konami on record saying PP and ground zeroes are separate games - still not convinced they won't be sold as one game though, could have been translation confusion.
    Phantom pain - isn't that a condition amputees can suffer from

That was my pointless contribution to the thread. :o

not really pointless, he is shown with a mechanical arm after all.
  • PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    I've never played a Metal Gear Solid game so if I play this I won't have a clue, from what my brother tells me it doesn't make much sense anyway lol. But i'd like to have a go at the older games first. Is there a good order to play them? Including handheld games, I have a Vita so that's not a problem.

There's a HD editon out with MGS2, 3 and Peace Walker, then you can just go onto MGS4 :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a HD editon out with MGS2, 3 and Peace Walker, then you can just go onto MGS4 :D

Right I have an action plan, I got 2 and 3 with Ps plus and I will buy Peacewalker. My brother has 4 so I'm set. I just hope i'm not crap at it now lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This game not having David Hayter is a bit jarring and i sense that there is more to this story than meets the eyes, i mean this is the David Hayter that convinced Konami to get the original cast to reprise their roles for twin snakes but now they just drop him without so much as a thank you for your work call

I get that they would want Richard Doyle to play an old version of Big Boss like he did in MGS4, but why couldn't David Hayter play the younger Big Boss I.e the Ground Zeroes footage we have seen

I mean David Hayter played Big Boss in MGS3, or are we to believe that Big Boss has a case of the Ted Mosey Voice Infection that will just change his fully developed adult voice for no reason (Josh Randor to Bob Saget)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right I have an action plan, I got 2 and 3 with Ps plus and I will buy Peacewalker. My brother has 4 so I'm set. I just hope i'm not crap at it now lol.

Don't forget to download MGS1 as well :p

Also if you really want to start from the beginning, then MGS3 will have the first two games from when it was just metal gear
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have a problem with Hayter not being in it. He is a fantastic voice actor but if we're seeing an older Naked Snake (and it does look it from the screen shots/footage) then Naked Snake must start to look and sound more like Solidus Snake and less like Solid Snake young and old.

I'm just glad the game isn't rehashing Solid Snake after the events of MGS4.
    Don't even bother playing MGS4 if you haven't played the others. You won't fully appreciate it and you'll miss a lot of the in-game jokes and referrences to previous events.

If you've played the others and enjoyed the story then MGS4 becomes an amazing game as it wraps up storylines from the previous games. It really is a game for fans of the franchise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Don't forget to download MGS1 as well :p

Also if you really want to start from the beginning, then MGS3 will have the first two games from when it was just metal gear

How many games are there exactly? I'm starting to think this is going to be a mammoth task lol.
    Forum Member
    How many games are there exactly? I'm starting to think this is going to be a mammoth task lol.

Main Games:

Metal Gear Solid (Available on PSN)

MGS 2 (HD Available on PSN/XBL)

MGS3 (HD Available on PSN/XBL)
    - MGS Portable Ops (PSP Only, not VITAL but covers the issue of how Big Boss gets the funds for Soldiers Haven)
    - MGS Peace Walker (Third Big Boss game, very important, Ground Zeros is a direct sequel to this, HD Available on PSN/XBL)

MGS4 (PS3 only)

Spin Offs
    - Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel
    - Metal Gear Ac!d
    - Metal Gear Ac!d 2
    -- Metal Gear Rising (but story is canon)

MSX titles (Only really for backstory on Solid Snake, his confrontation with Big Boss, not extremely important for newcomers right away):
    - Metal Gear

- Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake

NOW, timeline order (again, not important for first timers, this is more an interesting way to play for fans of the series):

- MGS3 (1963)
    - MGS PO (1971)
    - MGS PW (1974)
    --- MGS Ground Zeroes (1975)
    --- MGS V: The Phantom Pain (1984)
    - MG (1995)
    - MG2 (1999)
    - MGS1 (2005)
    - MGS2
    -- Tanker Incident (2007)
    -- The Big Shell Incident (2009)
    - MGS4 (2014)
    -- MGR (2018)

Hopefully that clears things up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    Main Games:

Metal Gear Solid (Available on PSN)

MGS 2 (HD Available on PSN/XBL)

MGS3 (HD Available on PSN/XBL)
    - MGS Portable Ops (PSP Only, not VITAL but covers the issue of how Big Boss gets the funds for Soldiers Haven)
    - MGS Peace Walker (Third Big Boss game, very important, Ground Zeros is a direct sequel to this, HD Available on PSN/XBL)

MGS4 (PS3 only)

Spin Offs
    - Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel
    - Metal Gear Ac!d
    - Metal Gear Ac!d 2
    -- Metal Gear Rising (but story is canon)

MSX titles (Only really for backstory on Solid Snake, his confrontation with Big Boss, not extremely important for newcomers right away):
    - Metal Gear

- Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake

NOW, timeline order (again, not important for first timers, this is more an interesting way to play for fans of the series):

- MGS3 (1963)
    - MGS PO (1971)
    - MGS PW (1974)
    --- MGS Ground Zeroes (1975)
    --- MGS V: The Phantom Pain (1984)
    - MG (1995)
    - MG2 (1999)
    - MGS1 (2005)
    - MGS2
    -- Tanker Incident (2007)
    -- The Big Shell Incident (2009)
    - MGS4 (2014)
    -- MGR (2018)

Hopefully that clears things up.

Wow thank you for taking the time to do that. I think i'll go with the main games in the order they were released, so MGS, 2, 3, Peacewalker then 4.