What to watch after Breaking Bad?

Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Up until recently I have been slightly obsessed with "Breaking Bad" :o and now that I have watched it all I'm looking for another show. I have tried to start on the "Wire", but neither the acting nor the writing compares to the phenomenon that was "Breaking Bad". Can anyone recommend any shows of similar quality?

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    the wire is pretty much universally acknowledged as one of the best written and acted shows that has ever been.

and if you don't think the wire was well written or acted there seems to be little hope for you. i could accept that you didn't enjoy it. it's not everyone's cup of tea but to criticise the acting and the writing is absurd.

however take a look at the sopranos, west wing, the shield, buffy, southland
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    Try Justified :)
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    the wire is pretty much universally acknowledged as one of the best written and acted shows that has ever been.

and if you don't think the wire was well written or acted there seems to be little hope for you. i could accept that you didn't enjoy it. it's not everyone's cup of tea but to criticise the acting and the writing is absurd.

however take a look at the sopranos, west wing, the shield, buffy, southland

To be fair, I have only seen the first episode. It was OK, but there's too much "lingo" and it didn't look like my cup of tea.
    Forum Member
    Xela M wrote: »
    To be fair, I have only seen the first episode. It was OK, but there's too much "lingo" and it didn't look like my cup of tea.

perhaps you should watch a couple more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    I'm with you - the wire is massively over-rated by critics and people like flagpole! I hated it, but loved breaking bad.

I do agree that the Sopranos, southland, the shield are all very good though I don't think they're all on Netflix.

Walking Dead, Dexter, six feet under, 24 all worth watching if you've not already seen them.
  • kylesmithkylesmith Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Homeland, Southland, Prison Break, Hostages, The Walking Dead.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not that it effects the writing or overall story but some of the directors who worked on Breaking Bad have had stints on, or are currently filming on, Game of Thrones... Also, the editor from BB (the one who did the official podcasts) is now working on Walking Dead... So you might want to check them out (they're good, anyway)
  • WeetibixWeetibix Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started watching The Sopranos after Breaking Bad and have thoroughly enjoyed it....great story and some great characters.
    Breaking Bad is still my number one favourite though.

Homeland is also excellent
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen (and liked) The Sopranos, but I haven't watched any of the other shows mentioned in this thread.

Someone I know recommended House of Cards. Has anyone seen it?
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me and I stress this is all just IMHO, THe Wire is the modern day emperor's new clothes. I watched the whole of season one and couldn't stand it.

Like you I love Breaking Bad (just finished it myself). Have you tried Oz?

PJ
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone I know recommended House of Cards. Has anyone seen it?

Yup. Watched it all and, despite a couple of low points, overall loved it. Spacey and Wright are excellent but most folk in it give very good performances.
  • Dannielle_HowelDannielle_Howel Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weeds (Although it has more of a comedy aspect) is great, I actually prefer it too BB - I won't go into why because last time I did on here I was ridiculed.

Other really great shows include: Orange is the new black, American Horror Story (Also think is better than BB) Pretty Little Liars (Yes, really... It's my favorite show, I wish more people would give it a chance) The Walking Dead, Homeland, The Sopranos, Nurse Jackie or if you want something a bit sweeter and something that will pull on your heart strings I fully recommend The Big C.

Get a Netflix account if you haven't already, there's some really great shows on there :)
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weeds (Although it has more of a comedy aspect) is great, I actually prefer it too BB - I won't go into why because last time I did on here I was ridiculed.

Other really great shows include: Orange is the new black, American Horror Story (Also think is better than BB) Pretty Little Liars (Yes, really... It's my favorite show, I wish more people would give it a chance) The Walking Dead, Homeland, The Sopranos, Nurse Jackie or if you want something a bit sweeter and something that will pull on your heart strings I fully recommend The Big C.

Get a Netflix account if you haven't already, there's some really great shows on there :)

I loved Weeds too :)
    Forum Member
    dbramley wrote: »
    I'm with you - the wire is massively over-rated by critics and people like flagpole! I hated it, but loved breaking bad.

I do agree that the Sopranos, southland, the shield are all very good though I don't think they're all on Netflix.

Walking Dead, Dexter, six feet under, 24 all worth watching if you've not already seen them.

If you look a little closer you will see that not only did i not over rate The Wire, I did not rate it at all.
  • BrummiekevBrummiekev Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    The Blacklist is brilliant, best US show since Breaking Bad for me. Just love the acting especially from James Spader!!:)
  • satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    Up until recently I have been slightly obsessed with "Breaking Bad" :o and now that I have watched it all I'm looking for another show. I have tried to start on the "Wire", but neither the acting nor the writing compares to the phenomenon that was "Breaking Bad". Can anyone recommend any shows of similar quality?

Funnily enough, I was only asking the same thing. I might give The Wire a go.

Dexter is great as well, S1 and 4 were the best, but it's definitely worth a punt, even though the final series was a disappointment.
    Forum Member
    Brummiekev wrote: »
    The Blacklist is brilliant, best US show since Breaking Bad for me. Just love the acting especially from James Spader!!:)

He plays the same character as in the office.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As much as I loved The Wire I don't think it's something you can really compare to Breaking Bad, they're two completely different shows and both brilliant in their own right. It took me some time to warm towards The Wire tbh, it wasn't until about Season 3 that I thought "wow this is quite special", so stick with it OP!

Other shows I'd recommend are...

Six Feet Under
    Orange Is The New Black
    Dexter (but don't bother after Season 5)
    The Sopranos
    The West Wing
    Nurse Jackie
    House Of Cards

I need something new to watch too, I'm really trying to like Homelands at the moment but I'm just not feeling it. I miss Walt and Jessie :(
    Forum Member
    GOGO2 wrote: »
    As much as I loved The Wire I don't think it's something you can really compare to Breaking Bad, they're two completely different shows and both brilliant in their own right. It took me some time to warm towards The Wire tbh, it wasn't until about Season 3 that I thought "wow this is quite special", so stick with it OP!

Other shows I'd recommend are...

Six Feet Under
    Orange Is The New Black
    Dexter (but don't bother after Season 5)
    The Sopranos
    The West Wing
    Nurse Jackie
    House Of Cards

I need something new to watch too, I'm really trying to like Homelands at the moment but I'm just not feeling it. I miss Walt and Jessie :(

The shield
  • charger21charger21 Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recommend Sons Of Anarchy.

As for the wire I watched 3 or 4 episodes in a row but havent felt the urge to watch it again. It was rather boring
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    Weetibix wrote: »
    I started watching The Sopranos after Breaking Bad and have thoroughly enjoyed it....great story and some great characters.
    Breaking Bad is still my number one favourite though.

Homeland series 1 & 2 we're excellent but now it's turned into a daytime soap opera type dross.

Extremely disappointed with its direction.

They need yo work hard to make it the epic watch of the 1st 2 seasons. They won't manage it the season but they have got a season 4.
    But if Brody is killed off viewers will be lost in their droves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GOGO2 wrote: »

Couldn't agree more I just finished season 3 and it has really come into its own. I still don't think it's the best show ever. The writing and acting is superb and it seems really true to life.

Roll on season 4
  • Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weetibix wrote: »

I think it's been piss-poor this season. The show was fairly okay the first season but now it is just being milked. It's all about the Benjamins now.

If you liked Breaking Bad the first time around I would recommend watching it again from the beginning, you find plenty of little things you missed.
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    Surprised no one else has mentioned Justified. Such an underrated show :(

Also I will second Sons of Anarchy, it's fanatastic.
  • Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DarthFader wrote: »
    THe Wire is the modern day emperor's new clothes. I watched the whole of season one and couldn't stand it.
    PJ

I enjoyed season one of The Wire but I think it went down hill pretty fast from there.

The show was written by an ex policeman and a journalist which may explain a lot. Maybe the ex-cop had a story to tell and after he was out of his depth creatively.

Although each episode was usually scripted by a single person Breaking Bad had a fairly big writing team and they all sat around a desk to plot each episode. With big teams you get plenty of ideas.

I remember watching a program about the making of Roseanne which at one time was the number 1 show in America. There were 10s of writers involved, some of them were cock-a-hoop if they got a single line into the show.

But I digress.