Ice Warriors missing episodes to be animated - confirmed.

Comments

• CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speaking as one who generally has no use for animations of missing episodes, I must say this looks promising. They have really captured something about Troughton... the little thing he does with his eyelids when he says 'human beings instead of computers'.
  • BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Good to have confirmation.

I am left wondering why they waited to announce this, though, given that they announced The Tenth Planet and its animation AFTER announcing The Ice Warriors. Why the wait [especially with the "an announcement is coming..." comments - why hype up something that we'd all assumed already]?
  • JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to it. I'd like them to animate all of the missing episodes if they could.

Does seem strange announcing Tenth Planet first, maybe they felt it was a better announcement for a convention or maybe the different companies involved made a difference.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Brilliant news.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    Although it initially looks more basic than the reign of terror animation aftewr a couple of watches seems a hell of a lot better for some reason...
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, the Crusades or Underwater Menace next? The latter would seem a better choice seeing as there is an unseen episode to include as an additional selling point.

Or is 50% animated a higher ratio than they want to go? So far the maximum is 33%.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Speaking as one who generally has no use for animations of missing episodes, I must say this looks promising. They have really captured something about Troughton... the little thing he does with his eyelids when he says 'human beings instead of computers'.

They have. Very good. I like this sort of souped-up-Captain-Pugwash style. As you say - it's in the eyes.
    Forum Member
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    So, the Crusades or Underwater Menace next? The latter would seem a better choice seeing as there is an unseen episode to include as an additional selling point.

Or is 50% animated a higher ratio than they want to go? So far the maximum is 33%.

Perhaps the Moonbase Tom. I think they are beginning to realise that fans want everything out that is classic Doctor who, certainly a way to continue the range now that the complete serials are nearly all out.
    I for one would welcome full story animations, so much more involving than just audio or telesnaps.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the holy grail is Power of the Daleks done fully? I reckon this will happen one day, when there's nothing else they can release.
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the holy grail is Power of the Daleks done fully? I reckon this will happen one day, when there's nothing else they can release.

Far too expensive on a DVD budget
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Link doesnt work for me, the article doesnt show :(
  • ShaunieboyShaunieboy Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Savage... Not sure why.. Seems to work here... Could be me tho! Could try googling starburst who re: animation. Worth a look, interesting read :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shaunieboy wrote: »

However Dan Hall (who is executive producer of the dvd range) has stated the limit on a dvd budget is 2. The budget for reign of terror was pretty much pushed to its limits.He has appered at a couple of conventions and at both he said there are absolute NO plans to animate power or masterplan as there are too many episodes missing and its far too expensive on a dvd budget. BBC Worldwide (who release the dvds) could finance animation on the lot but they would lose money and as BBC Worldwide is the buisness arm of the bbc and a buisness is there to make money its unlikely to happen.
    Forum Member
    Seem to remember hearing that there would be no more animations after Invasion as it was too expensive... So you never know! :)
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    fantastic news, hope all the missing serials get animated one day
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seem to remember hearing that there would be no more animations after Invasion as it was too expensive... So you never know! :)

Maybe the calculation is different if you're thinking more in terms of 'how many new Doctor Who DVDs can we have on the shelves for the anniversary'? Either that or computers have made animation even cheaper than they had already...

Possibly we could help out by animating a few key episodes in flipbook animation and submitting them to the BBC?
    Forum Member
    TEDR wrote: »
    Maybe the calculation is different if you're thinking more in terms of 'how many new Doctor Who DVDs can we have on the shelves for the anniversary'? Either that or computers have made animation even cheaper than they had already...

Possibly we could help out by animating a few key episodes in flipbook animation and submitting them to the BBC?

Yep :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I always thought that the no more animations quote was more about animations from cosgrove hall than no more animations period.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »

There is no guarantee it will get picked though. The multitude of private projects that Ian Levine has had turned down is sign of that
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I find that this article gets it completely backwards in this paragraph:
    But the Recons have pretensions towards authenticity, taking as they do the bona fide available elements and creating something as close as possible to the original experience in its absence. Without the actual actors’ performances, though, the Recons can become even more distancing than a cartoon representation of the episodes. You know that old favourite maxim about androids beloved of science fiction storytellers, that it’s the approximation of humanity without its authenticity that is so disturbing? The same can be true of Loose Cannon’s product: it’s as close as can be achieved to the original experience, and yet without the participation of real human beings instead of merely photographic representations of them, there’s something a little chilling and alienating about the result. The animations create a very definite boundary of unreality between the story and its telling, that makes the experience of watching them – watching from a shared and ‘agreed’ distance between the viewer and the viewed – that much more palatable and easy to enjoy.

Personally I find a cartoon far more 'chilling and alienating' because that's what 'approximates humanity without its authenticity'. The telesnaps are most certainly not made 'without the participation of real human beings'. It is the real actors! Television images of actors, whether still or moving, are always 'merely photographic representations of them'. And at no time do Loose Cannon ask you to accept something artificial as being a human face.

Someone will have to work a lot harder to make me prefer cartoons over telesnap recons, particularly when the surviving film clips have been perfectly integrated. Loose Cannon's work has moments that make me feel I am actually watching the real episode, and no animation could ever achieve that.

/end of grumpy rant/
    Forum Member
    I find that this article gets it completely backwards in this paragraph:

Personally I find a cartoon far more 'chilling and alienating' because that's what 'approximates humanity without its authenticity'. The telesnaps are most certainly not made 'without the participation of real human beings'. It is the real actors! Television images of actors, whether still or moving, are always 'merely photographic representations of them'. And at no time do Loose Cannon ask you to accept something artificial as being a human face.

Someone will have to work a lot harder to make me prefer cartoons over telesnap recons, particularly when the surviving film clips have been perfectly integrated. Loose Cannon's work has moments that make me feel I am actually watching the real episode, and no animation could ever achieve that.

/end of grumpy rant/

I know what you mean Coal, after watching the newer loose cannon recon felf as though i had watched the proper thing, but watching Reign of terror animated recently helped me to become more involved than in the recon. I think a good quality recon with clearer pictures helps.
    Forum Member
    fantastic news, hope all the missing serials get animated one day

Me too.