Just appeared on the BBCB mux:

LCN 105 BBC THREE HD
LCN 73 CBBC HD

MHEG says "New service launching soon"

Comments

• NightdeamonNightdeamon Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok... why couldn't they put BBC Three HD on 107? Guess Channel 5 won't be launching medium term.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those LCNs are unfortunate, they break the link between the SD and HD channel numbers that has existed so far.

EDIT: but I do like 105 sticking two fingers up to Channel 5. They had their chance (twice) to be 105 and they preferred Sky's money.
  • IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Freeview EPG numbering is a total disaster anyway. I wonder if BBC Three HD will launch ahead of the Doctor Who 50th 3D special and show it to allow Sky 3D viewers to see it.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IanP wrote: »
    The Freeview EPG numbering is a total disaster anyway. I wonder if BBC Three HD will launch ahead of the Doctor Who 50th 3D special and show it to allow Sky 3D viewers to see it.

I thought it was going on Red Button HD and not BBC Three.
  • Reg_1994Reg_1994 Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    OwenSmith wrote: »

EDIT: but I do like 105 sticking two fingers up to Channel 5. They had their chance (twice) to be 105 and they preferred Sky's money.

That's exactly what I thought. Channel 5 can balls!
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Channel 5 had their chances. Its tough for them and rightly so. First come, first serve. No doubt 5 will use it though as a reason to bitch & moan.
    Glad to see the placeholders active, it means they are coming sooner than planned :D
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it a matter of months or weeks away then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    EPG information is a bit confused - my Sony TV is telling me that CBBC HD is currently "showing" Hancock's Half Hour, and BBC Three HD has Shelagh Fogarty on at the moment.

Those programmes are currently on BBC Radio 4 Extra and Radio 5 Live.

(They're only showing as the "now" programme, there's no "next" available. Full EPG is also missing)

Ian
  • leslie123leslie123 Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here in London on Crystal Palace we also have Al-jazeera HD on 108 currently running a promotion loop for a launch soon. Unlike BBC Three HD, this is being broadcast on a new multiplex on CH.33, BBC2's old analogue frequency, the original UHF channel here in the UK. Signal strength is slightly lower than the others as expected and predicted as no doubt that they are probably using the old pre DSO equipment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leslie123 wrote: »
    Here in London on Crystal Palace we also have Al-jazeera HD on 108 currently running a promotion loop for a launch soon. Unlike BBC Three HD, this is being broadcast on a new multiplex on CH.33, BBC2's old analogue frequency, the original UHF channel here in the UK. Signal strength is slightly lower than the others as expected and predicted as no doubt that they are probably using the old pre DSO equipment.

Is that a local mux or is it the national mux 7 or 8 from Crystal Palace?
  • GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leslie123 wrote: »

That looks like the new interim layer7 mux has fired up. No sign here from Winter Hill yet, though my scripts are checking for them, but WH isn't one of the first to start anyway as the install is more complex with transmitters being shipped in from Croydon.

What else can you see on the new mux?

(Edit: might be worth starting a new thread rather than mix in with this one.)
  • figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's weird. Al Jazeera wasn't there when I came looking for this thread (BBCs were) Now it's there. Anyone NOT from Crystal Palace receiving these?

FYI Al Jazeera is by itself and 1440x1080i
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So presumably, LCN 106 will go to BBC Four HD, with LCN 107 going to BBC News HD...
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jj20x wrote: »
    So presumably, LCN 106 will go to BBC Four HD, with LCN 107 going to BBC News HD...
    You're probably right, which would mean that Al Jazeera have got themselves a pretty decent slot at 108 and nicely ahead of anything CH4 offer. Fair play to them. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    You're probably right, which would mean that Al Jazeera have got themselves a pretty decent slot at 108 and nicely ahead of anything CH4 offer. Fair play to them. :)

Al Jazeera HD is one of the better things we could have got. I'd far rather have that than HD shopping or babe channels.
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Al Jazeera HD is one of the better things we could have got. I'd far rather have that than HD shopping or babe channels.

Shopping and adult chat channels are meant to get the viewer on the phone spending cash rather than staring at the screen, so, thankfully, they are more likely to go for the cheap, low bitrate, slots.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh joy, I can get the new low power HD mux from Crystal Palace perfectly down here in Sussex.
  • djmarkdjmark Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Poor signal here on Al Jazeera HD, only 2/10 signal quality. Is this the full power on this mux?
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djmark wrote: »
    Poor signal here on Al Jazeera HD, only 2/10 signal quality. Is this the full power on this mux?

Judging from the signal here right on the fringe, I would say almost certainly. Bizarrely, although the signal strength of the new mux on ch 33 is lower than the full power HD mux on ch 30, the signal quality shows significantly higher. On my Technika, which uses a much lower value for signal strength than my other receivers, the full power mux shows as about 75/75 and the low power mux at about 40/90.
  • GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    Judging from the signal here right on the fringe, I would say almost certainly. Bizarrely, although the signal strength of the new mux on ch 33 is lower than the full power HD mux on ch 30, the signal quality shows significantly higher. On my Technika, which uses a much lower value for signal strength than my other receivers, the full power mux shows as about 75/75 and the low power mux at about 40/90.

Perhaps it is in a more robust symbol rate and/or error correction to compensate for the lower power? Given this is likely to be under test at the moment, things may change.

Anyone else think this deserves its own thread and a changelog mention? I'm rather loathe to do it myself since I'm 200miles away and can't receive it.. I did suggest this to Leslie123 as the finder but have had no response.
  • timo_w2stimo_w2s Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not picking it up at all in south Bucks from CP. In the pre-DSO days I could get the HD mux but it would start to breakup if there was local interference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greebo wrote: »
    Perhaps it is in a more robust symbol rate and/or error correction to compensate for the lower power? Given this is likely to be under test at the moment, things may change.

Same config as channel C30 but 15dB lower (here in Herts). I would guess the low "quality" is possibly due to other transmitters sharing C30.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    figrin_dan wrote: »
    Same config as channel C30 but 15dB lower (here in Herts). I would guess the low "quality" is possibly due to other transmitters sharing C30.

I think you mean sharing C33.
  • Peter RheaPeter Rhea Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    kasg wrote: »
    Bizarrely, although the signal strength of the new mux on ch 33 is lower than the full power HD mux on ch 30, the signal quality shows significantly higher.

If CP is the only '600 MHz' transmiter running atm, there won't be any UK-based interference on ch. 33.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you mean sharing C33.
    No I was quoting a post that was quoting a post that said the quality of C33 was better than C30, even though the power was lower.