Kings Of Leon
  • TreyCTreyC Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Beyoncè or Miley? Anyway, here's how it should be IMO:

Best British Male:
    John Newman

Best British Female:
    Ellie Goulding though I wouldn't mind a win for Birdy either.

Best British Group:
    Arctic Monkeys though I think Little Mix have been hugely snubbed in this category.

Breakthrough Artist:
    Zzzzzzzzzz

Best British Single:
    Ellie Goulding - Burn however again, I think Little Mix have been snubbed in this category once again with their single 'Move'

MasterCard Best British Album:
    Rudimental

International Solo Male:
    Eminem

International Solo Female:
    Pink

International Group:
    Haim
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    British Male Solo Artist

John Newman
    Jake Bugg - Winner
    Tom Odell
    David Bowie
    James Blake

British Female Solo Artist

Ellie Goulding - Winner
    Jessie J
    Laura Marling
    Laura Mvula
    Birdy

British Group

Disclosure
    One Direction
    Rudimental - Winner
    Arctic Monkeys
    Bastille

British Breakthrough Act

Disclosure
    Bastille - Winner
    Laura Mvula
    London Grammar
    Tom Odell

Critics' Choice

Sam Smith - WINNER
    Ella Eyre
    Chloe Howl

British Single

Bastille - 'Pompeii'
    Calvin Harris Feat. Ellie Goulding - 'I Need Your Love'
    Disclosure Feat. AlunaGeorge - 'White Noise'
    Ellie Goulding - 'Burn'
    John Newman - 'Love Me Again'
    Naughty Boy Feat. Sam Smith - 'La La La'
    Olly Murs - 'Dear Darlin'
    One Direction - 'One Way Or Another (Teenage Kicks)' - Winner (Guarantied due to Capital vote)
    Passenger - 'Let Her Go' - What should win
    Rudimental Feat. Ella Eyre - 'Waiting All Night'

Mastercard British Album Of The Year

Rudimental - 'Home'
    Disclosure - 'Settle'
    Arctic Monkeys - 'AM' - Winner
    Bastille - 'Bad Blood'
    David Bowie - 'The Next Day'

International Male Solo Artist

Justin Timberlake - Winner
    Bruno Mars
    Eminem
    Drake
    John Grant

International Female Solo Artist

Katy Perry - Winner
    Lady Gaga
    Pink
    Lorde
    Janelle Monae

International Group

Daft Punk - Winner
    Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
    Haim
    Kings Of Leon
    Arcade Fire
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I hate about all award things is how some people tell you these are the best 5 now tell us who you prefer, why not just open the whole thing up to vote for whoever you want and then see the results
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    Smudged wrote: »
    All quite predictable. Probably the only surprise is the token nomination for John Grant. Although the love for Bastille and no nominations for Foals is a little surprising I suppose. The lack of female artists in the album category is disappointing. Laura Marling and possibly Laura Mvula should have been nominated even though they wouldn't have won.

Hopefully they won't be so predictable with the winners and we see someone other than Arctic Monkeys win group and album (Disclosure have a slight chance imo).

Bastille is no great surprise IMO - they have had a massive year and are one of the biggest indie/pop bands of the year. Foals by contrast are a bit more niche, though I think they were probably worthy of at least 1 nomination. I'm quite surprised by the lack of Biffy Clyro however.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My predictions (I don't really care who wins for most categories).

British Male Solo Artist:

John Newman

Ellie Goulding

British Group

Bastille

British Breakthrough Act

Bastille

Critics' Choice

Sam Smith - WINNER lol

British Single

It's definitely either of these two..can't pick which one

Ellie Goulding - 'Burn'

Arctic Monkeys - 'AM'

Bruno Mars

Lorde

International Group

Haim
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    STUNNED at nothing for Foals.

Very depressing, there was a lot of very good music released last year and not one bit of it is recognised in those nominations.

Very, very poor.
  • ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PINK SHOULD WIN. tired of this woman being recognised but not awarded. now that she's finally made the top 10 singles of the year, this is her chance. pleeeease.

however katy perry is performing and gaga is rumoured to be performing so i imagine they'll be favoured over pink if pink doesn't attend (which she rarely does).
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Weres the fake award cat that no direction won last year? Proves the brits are and still a sham.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Neither of those stats are true. For a start, it's only actually sold ~390k in the UK - and 13th best selling? Try around 40th, unless you mean British singles, in which case that "something by Disclosure" and "Dear Darlin" both outsold it. The tracks nominated are the 10 best selling British songs of the year. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of many of them, but it is the fairest way to determine the nominees.

lol well since you put it that way, I guess it's fair but I guess us the Sats fans were just hoping that this would be the year they would finally get the nom. Wishful thinking lol ;-)
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smudged wrote: »
    All quite predictable. Probably the only surprise is the token nomination for John Grant. Although the love for Bastille and no nominations for Foals is a little surprising I suppose. The lack of female artists in the album category is disappointing. Laura Marling and possibly Laura Mvula should have been nominated even though they wouldn't have won.

Hopefully they won't be so predictable with the winners and we see someone other than Arctic Monkeys win group and album (Disclosure have a slight chance imo).

as I have said, but seemed to have been ignored, why have any shortlists, open up all music for a vote and see what surprises we may get.
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,150
    Forum Member
    You know you're getting past it when you don't know who most of the nominee's are:D

I hope Daft Punk don't win though. Random Access Memories was a shockingly bland album, and not a patch on their previous work. It was like elevator music.
  • bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depressing list. I know Bastille are popular, but they are one of the worst live acts I've ever seen. Lady Gaga being nominated is ridiculous, her first album was excellent, but the subsequent two have been awful. Truly the biggest example of style over substance in this generation of music. Only consolation is she hasn't a hope in hell of winning. I would love Janelle monae to win, an absolutely cracking talent.

David bowie best album? It really is overrated, but has received bewildering recognition due to his name.

Bet Robbie Williams is really annoyed hahaha. Totally snubbed. Would quite like John Newman to win that one.

Not overly bothered by anything else, the brit awards has become a drab soulless affair in recent years. Who is getting outstanding achievement?
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Katy Perry
    Lady Gaga
    Pink
    Lorde
    Janelle Monae

Literally the only one I care about. I doubt she'll win, but extremely happy to see her nominated. :D
  • HelenW82HelenW82 Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    Could Little Mix have been snubbed because they were so focused on the rest of the world last year? I know that Ed Sheeran and One Direction where also heavily promoting themselves in America for a bulk of last year, and the One Direction nomination is the charity single they did for Comic Relief?

Is it just because they are a band from the UK that people feel they should be nominated or is it because they have sold better than the other nominated acts?
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damn, I know I'm only echoing what the rest of the net is saying, but what an unbelievably boring cluster of noms. Are the Brits bad, or is it just British Music?
  • zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am just wondering where are those 1D fans who were furious when everyone else was saying that Brit's Global Success award was made up for them. Because guess what, that award isn't given this year.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't been a bowie fan for long but think his new album is the worst material he has done in his 40 something year career. I wonder if those who have purchased it actually liked it, or brought it because of a long absence since his last album. Oh well. I'll get over it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    as I have said, but seemed to have been ignored, why have any shortlists, open up all music for a vote and see what surprises we may get.
    This is how it works:

"The Voting Academy is made up of over 1,000 music enthusiasts representing every sector of the music industry: record labels, publishers, managers, agents, media, NUS Ents officers and, introduced last year, the nominated artists or Award winners from the previous year. The list of eligible artists, albums and singles is made available to the Academy members via a secure online Voting Academy website where they will select their top five choices in each category, and this will result in the short-list of nominees". - read the full blurb here.

If you're suggesting a public vote for every award I think that would result in an even less varied set of nominations/winners and an even poorer representation of British music.

Semierotic wrote: »
    Damn, I know I'm only echoing what the rest of the net is saying, but what an unbelievably boring cluster of noms. Are the Brits bad, or is it just British Music?
    Well, try to come up with some alternatives for each category. The number of artists you can come up with should answer your question ;).
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    British Male Solo Artist

John Newman
    Jake Bugg :)
    Tom Odell
    David Bowie
    James Blake

Ellie Goulding :)
    Jessie J
    Laura Marling
    Laura Mvula
    Birdy

British Group

Disclosure
    One Direction
    Rudimental
    Arctic Monkeys
    Bastille :)

British Breakthrough Act

Disclosure
    Bastille :)
    Laura Mvula
    London Grammar
    Tom Odell

Critics' Choice

Sam Smith - WINNER
    Ella Eyre
    Chloe Howl

British Single

Bastille - 'Pompeii'
    Calvin Harris Feat. Ellie Goulding - 'I Need Your Love'
    Disclosure Feat. AlunaGeorge - 'White Noise'
    Ellie Goulding - 'Burn'
    Naughty Boy Feat. Sam Smith - 'La La La':)
    Olly Murs - 'Dear Darlin'
    One Direction - 'One Way Or Another (Teenage Kicks)' >:(
    Passenger - 'Let Her Go'
    Rudimental Feat. Ella Eyre - 'Waiting All Night'

Rudimental - 'Home'
    Disclosure - 'Settle'
    Arctic Monkeys - 'AM'
    Bastille - 'Bad Blood':)
    David Bowie - 'The Next Day'

Justin Timberlake :)
    Bruno Mars
    Eminem
    Drake
    John Grant

Katy Perry
    Lady Gaga
    Pink :)
    Lorde
    Janelle Monae

International Group

Daft Punk :)
    Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
    Haim
    Kings Of Leon
    Arcade Fire

Bold are the ones I think will win. Smiles against ones I want to win. I am a massive Bastille fan and I am pleased they are up for some awards. I hope they get best album because I love it , if not atleast one would be good, they have had a great year

OD just because its a public vote and they will win the single title
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What shocking nominees. Really highlights how bland mainstream British music is.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depressing list. I know Bastille are popular, but they are one of the worst live acts I've ever seen. Lady Gaga being nominated is ridiculous, her first album was excellent, but the subsequent two have been awful. Truly the biggest example of style over substance in this generation of music. Only consolation is she hasn't a hope in hell of winning. I would love Janelle monae to win, an absolutely cracking talent.

David bowie best album? It really is overrated, but has received bewildering recognition due to his name.

Bet Robbie Williams is really annoyed hahaha. Totally snubbed. Would quite like John Newman to win that one.

Not overly bothered by anything else, the brit awards has become a drab soulless affair in recent years. Who is getting outstanding achievement?

bib1 :Agreed. Katy Perry will probably win though (especially as she is due to attend)

bib2: No Lifetime Achievement award again this year.
  • RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bib1 :Agreed. Katy Perry will probably win though (especially as she is due to attend)

bib2: No Lifetime Achievement award again this year.

Do we know this for sure? they might not reveal it until the night? shame though if they don't include this again as i don't understand why they have dropped it.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't been a bowie fan for long but think his new album is the worst material he has done in his 40 something year career. I wonder if those who have purchased it actually liked it, or brought it because of a long absence since his last album. Oh well. I'll get over it.

Been a Bowie fan since the early 70's and for me it's one of his top 5 albums
  • tim18tim18 Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bowies latest album was fantastic and one of his best.

i really want P!nk to win. She has done awesome as usual with sales and tour smashes to back it up.

Anyone think she will ? (Watch how katy wins :(. )