Windows Picture Viewer (Vista)

Is there a way of stopping the Windows Picture Viewer (when you click on a picture and press PREVIEW) from opening large every time I open a picture within it?

I am trying to set the box up so it sits beside another program on Vista (Word) but when I open a new picture (right-click, preview) it always opens up full screen.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only thing i can think of is when pic opens full screen click the middle button on top right hand corner to see if this set's the size next time you open a pic as this work's for a lot of app's.

Know you've maybe tried this ,apology's ,but have no pic's to try (use vista as well).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, gave that a try. It seems to decrease the size, but only to the middle of the entire desktop. I need it to resize to the last size I used before shutting it down. I'm sure I was able to do it before, but can't remember the method I used to make it stick.

Thanks for answering. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's strange, but I have been on numerous other websites (including a Windows expert site) and no one seems to know how to do it. My brother managed it on his Vista laptop, and doesn't remember what he did.

I'm beginning to think I imagined it. :eek:
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    i think the file association on for example .jpg looks something like this
    %SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll", ImageView_Fullscreen %1

a quick search on my win 7 machine shows for example shows
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\shell\open]
    %SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo Gallery\PhotoViewer.dll", ImageView_Fullscreen %1

so what i'm basically saying is that it's not that the app is forgetting it's location it's that windows, in addition to handing the file to photoviewer is also giving it the option 'ImageView_Fullscreen' -

so when you double click a jpeg in addition to windows saying right with a jpeg i pass that file to this program for viewing, it is also passing the command line option to view full screen
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there a way to stop it doing that?
    Forum Member
    Is there a way to stop it doing that?

i can think of a few things to try.

if you search the registry for ImageView_Fullscreen and modify the entries where you see it that should work.

it might work if you break the association with windows photoviewer by associating it with something else and then go back to windows photo viewer.

some kind of file types editor might work. actually i've just tried this and it's probably the easiest way i use this http://defaultprogramseditor.com/

go to file type settings
    context menu
    select the extension we are interested in eg .jpg
    the top command in bold is the one we are interested in. called Preview for images
    select it and click edit selected command
    on the drop down on the right click the little arrow and select command line
    remove ImageView_Fullscreen fromthe command line leaving the %1 bit
    click next and continue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the program. Once I have downloaded it, where do I put it when I unzip it?
    Forum Member
    anywhere. on your desktop is fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. Going to give it a try now. Appreciate the help. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Little problem... it won't open the pictures at all now.
    Forum Member
    Little problem... it won't open the pictures at all now.

oh dear.

right click an image
    open with >
    choose default program...
    and select the windows thing. be sure to check 'always use this program'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    oh dear.

right click an image
    open with >
    choose default program...
    and select the windows thing. be sure to check 'always use this program'

I had to put the Fullscreen part back in. It just wouldn't let me open a preview even when I chose the default program with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woke up this morning and it seems it worked regardless. Ressetting the registry through that program had the unknown effect of making the pictures come out as they were before.

Thanks flagpole.
    Forum Member
    so long as it worked.