Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• StockingfillerStockingfiller Posts: 3,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike1948 wrote: »
    It goes with the job. You cannot put yourself on the public stage and wish to be anonymous.

Doctors are expected to help in an emergency when they are off duty.

Off-duty police officers cannot walk past while a crime is being committed and take no action.

I agree but can't fathom why people who have seen actors onstage for say two hours then expect them to stand signing bits of paper etc in the freezing cold maybe for another two hours until about 1am. Also, asking for autographs when people are having a meal or are with their children or crowding around yelling.That would intimidate anyone. Then there's the following and shouting when people are trying to film.What's the point of it all ? Where is the line drawn- nowhere ?

If people like someone, why not show that by not being in their face when it's not appropriate ? Many fans are clearly really considerate. Some aren't.

There are people who get in the way of doctors , police, ambulance drivers, medics, firefighters and so on. They think it's a spectator sport. Commonsense and some good manners would help.

Having said all that, I think the funniest celebs are the ones who glare at you in the supermarket when you were actually looking at a shelf and hadn't recognised them at all until you noticed some odd bod staring at you, furiously. That's happened to me about four times. I just got my stuff and walked on ! :)
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I agree it is part of the job, but people in the public eye are still, surely, entitled to be treated with respect. Some people can be enormously rude and even aggressive when asking for autographs.They seem to think it`s their right and can`t see that, sometimes, it`s actually not appropriate to ask.
  • Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VideoNicey wrote: »
    Adrian Edmondson - Friend of mine went to see the Bad Shepherds, Edmondson snubbed ALL his fans and stood in a corner with a bunch of toffs sipping red wine. My mate asked him "Is there going to be another series of Bottom?", to which Edmondson sniffed "No, because it'll be s**t". Later that night the doorman told my mate that Edmondson had responded to a polite request for a dedication from a bloke whose wife had died with "F*** off, I don't do requests". Sounds a real charmer, doesn't he?

"So just like all the others then?" :D

I think Bottom demonstrated that comedy acting and comedy writing are two completely different skills, of which very few people possess

I've met Edmondson and he behaved in a similar way. He came to present something with video clips and got all huffy and expected the world from the technical crew. He also brushed people aside and wouldn't sign any autographs.
  • mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Misty08 wrote: »
    Yes, I agree it is part of the job, but people in the public eye are still, surely, entitled to be treated with respect. Some people can be enormously rude and even aggressive when asking for autographs.They seem to think it`s their right and can`t see that, sometimes, it`s actually not appropriate to ask.

There was an incident mentioned earlier in this thread of a Brit asking an American celeb for an autograph while they were in church. That was obviously inapproriate. However, the celeb told the person to **** off. Surely a refusal would have been better.

Celebs who do not wish to be recognised disguise themselves with the aid of sunglasses, hats, wigs, etc.
  • Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "So just like all the others then?" :D

I think Bottom demonstrated that comedy acting and comedy writing are two completely different skills, of which very few people possess

I've met Edmondson and he behaved in a similar way. He came to present something with video clips and got all huffy and expected the world from the technical crew. He also brushed people aside and wouldn't sign any autographs.

What a let down to be like that, funny thing is I've seen loads of pics and videos of Rik Mayall greeting fans with all the cheeky niceness in the world. And I always got the impression that Ade was the nicer of the 2, certainly not so now.
  • VideoNiceyVideoNicey Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Another one...

Neil Kinnock - Never actually met him but I was in a theatre audience with him, and he kept braying with loud "HWARR HWARR HWARR" laughter like a Welsh klaxon at every funny line - even the ones that weren't laugh out loud funny. It all seemed like a deluded exercise in letting the audience know that he was there - and sadly for him nobody gave a toss :D
  • VideoNiceyVideoNicey Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    What a great guy!

Indeed. A real diamond is Alice.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike1948 wrote: »
    It's amazing how many celebs seem unable to refuse a request for an autograph or an encounter with them without resorting to vulgarity. There is a polite way to reject an approach, such as "Sorry, but I do not have time.''

What I find disgusting is that these nasty 'celebs' seem to forget whose support and whose money keeps them & pays for their millionaire lifestyles. What is a few seconds of their time to just say hello or sign a scrap of paper?

Some of the people named here ought to be thoroughly ashamed of the way they treat people :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    What I find disgusting is that these nasty 'celebs' seem to forget whose support and whose money keeps them & pays for their millionaire lifestyles. What is a few seconds of their time to just say hello or sign a scrap of paper?

Some of the people named here ought to be thoroughly ashamed of the way they treat people :mad:
    Hmm, alot of autograph hunters are just collectors, and have most certainly not contributed anything to anyone`s fortune,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Double post.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    I agree but can't fathom why people who have seen actors onstage for say two hours then expect them to stand signing bits of paper etc in the freezing cold maybe for another two hours until about 1am.

If people like someone, why not show that by not being in their face when it's not appropriate ? Many fans are clearly really considerate. Some aren't.

There are people who get in the way of doctors , police, ambulance drivers, medics, firefighters and so on. They think it's a spectator sport. Commonsense and some good manners would help.
    :)

I'm sorry so let me get this straight. So I have paid to see you and at the end of the night you will be the richer out of either of us. But you are complaining because I have asked you for a signature or a photo after a show, bearing in mind I may never see you again, and you expect me to miss my opportunity. all celebrities have to do is sign a few signatures and take a few pickies - there are nurses, doctors, firefighters all the above professions you mentioned have more to moan about than any celeb regardless of how long their show is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ghettodemi wrote: »
    I'm sorry so let me get this straight. So I have paid to see you and at the end of the night you will be the richer out of either of us. But you are complaining because I have asked you for a signature or a photo after a show, bearing in mind I may never see you again, and you expect me to miss my opportunity. all celebrities have to do is sign a few signatures and take a few pickies - there are nurses, doctors, firefighters all the above professions you mentioned have more to moan about than any celeb regardless of how long their show is.

I don't think there's an entitlement - no. To think so perhaps is to assume that there's something really, really important about getting oneself, into the picture both literally and metaphorically. Why, is it so important ?

Being part of an audience means buying a ticket, enjoying the show and hopefully getting good value for money. That's, what's been paid for. Access to actors etc shouldn't be assumed, to be part of the ticket price. If at a sports' event amongst thousandsand thousands of people...could everyone assume that they had a right, to a photo and an autograph ?

Yes, other people have more justification for 'moaning about it' if they were asked but it doesn't make it sensible to do it.

Having said that there's no excuse for celebs who are really rude.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member

Being part of an audience means buying a ticket, enjoying the show and hopefully getting good value for money. That's, what's been paid for. Access to actors etc shouldn't be assumed, to be part of the ticket price. If at a sports' event amongst thousandsand thousands of people...could everyone assume that they had a right, to a photo and an autograph ?

Having said that there's no excuse for celebs who are really rude.

I find this a bit one sided. I understand shows give something back to an audience i.e. you have a cracking time, but I recently went to see James corden's show because I am a fan of his work and not only this but he actually asked his fans to come down and support him with their wallets. I can't tell you how many times I've been lured to watch something because of my adoration for a perticular cast member.
    As well as this you're forgetting that fans are actually willing to wait ages come rain or shine (I know I have) for a meeting with their idols. If anyone in this situation is being put out then its the poor fans who have had to wait in the rain. Autographs and photos only take a few seconds.

I don't see it as a sense of entitlement and would be embarrassed to stop a celeb while they were having dinner for an autograph or during their "downtime". However after a show that has earned you more than what I make in year - you bet I want an autograph.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waiting in the rain ? Seems a bit pointless to me but each to his or her own ! It is voluntary, though.

Some years back was waiting for booked taxi at the National Theatre. When a taxi arrived, we'd been waiting for ages..about half an hour and the driver called out my name I answered clearly and loudly, " Yes, that's us". Neil Kinnoch and Glenys his wife who were with some friends and were all standing right next to us. They'd not long got there...just a minute or so.

With that, Glenys strode forward towards the taxi. " Come on ! ", she said to the friends. " Oi !", I said loudly. " You know, that's not your taxi !". She ignored me. Neil Kinnoch called her back. " No, Glenys. We'll call a cab or walk back ". I thanked him. I'm Welsh as well but she'd have left anyone, there !

I met her on a few other occasions and thought that she was very fond of herself indeed. He however didn't have any airs and graces.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IAs well as this you're forgetting that fans are actually willing to wait ages come rain or shine (I know I have) for a meeting with their idols. If anyone in this situation is being put out then its the poor fans who have had to wait in the rain. Autographs and photos only take a few seconds.

I don't see it as a sense of entitlement and would be embarrassed to stop a celeb while they were having dinner for an autograph or during their "downtime". However after a show that has earned you more than what I make in year - you bet I want an autograph.

You decide to wait in the rain- no one has told you to do it. So, if you go to a show at Wembley Stadium you think you and everyone else there is entitled to an autograph afterwards?
  • FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member

And still the celebs are only human, and might have something important to get to, might not be feeling well, or any perfectly good reason for not signing autographs, and wish not to reveal these reasons to the public.

I still remember one occasion when Jennifer Connelly was promoting some movie, did what she were supposed to do at the premiere/party or whatever it was, but left early. One man (I forgot who) made a huge issue out of this (maybe jokingly), and said, that he had so much wanted to see her, and ended up ripping up JC's picture (jokingly) as a sign of his disappointment. It turned out, that JC's father had recently passed away, she wasn't feeling well in general, so she left after her promo duties were done.

In the end of the day, when we go to see a movie/play we pay to see that movie/play. The actors are not required to interact with the audience if they don't want to. Some actually are not comfortable in personal encounters with people, and try and avoid these situations. That doesn't make them rude or unpleasant people.

/and end of rant. :D
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Most celebs will, if possible, try to sign a few autographs at the Stage Door, but there is no contractual obligation for them to stand there for several hours signing autographs for everyone, nor is a meeting/autograph included in the price of your ticket for the event. All your ticket entitles you to is entry to the venue and a seat (or place in the standing area).
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised to see negative comments about Norman Wisdom. My old boss and his wife went on a cruise, and Norman was on the same cruise. (He was there as a passenger, not as an entertainer.) They said he was absolutely lovely, very nice with everyone who came up to him, and had time for them all.

Sorry to hear that Ade Edmondson is not as nice in real life. I always thought that he seemed such a lovely guy. Obviously, he must be a good actor!!

Someone I know met Toby Stephens. They had just seen him on stage in a play and waited to meet him at the stage door afterwards. They said he was lovely, humble, and signed lots of autographs, and chatted with the people there. :)
  • SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waiting in the rain ? Seems a bit pointless to me but each to his or her own ! It is voluntary, though.

Some years back was waiting for booked taxi at the National Theatre. When a taxi arrived, we'd been waiting for ages..about half an hour and the driver called out my name I answered clearly and loudly, " Yes, that's us". Neil Kinnoch and Glenys his wife who were with some friends and were all standing right next to us. They'd not long got there...just a minute or so.

With that, Glenys strode forward towards the taxi. " Come on ! ", she said to the friends. " Oi !", I said loudly. " You know, that's not your taxi !". She ignored me. Neil Kinnoch called her back. " No, Glenys. We'll call a cab or walk back ". I thanked him. I'm Welsh as well but she'd have left anyone, there !

I met her on a few other occasions and thought that she was very fond of herself indeed. He however didn't have any airs and graces.

I happened to see them out and about once. They were in a bookshop and while Neil wandered about looking at what was on the shelves, Glenys spent about half an hour arguing with the customer assistant because they wouldn't accept her card for some reason. It amused me because the guy looked pretty young and probably had no idea who they were. Always thought she seemed a terrifying person.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I happened to see them out and about once. They were in a bookshop and while Neil wandered about looking at what was on the shelves, Glenys spent about half an hour arguing with the customer assistant because they wouldn't accept her card for some reason. It amused me because the guy looked pretty young and probably had no idea who they were. Always thought she seemed a terrifying person.

In earlier days before she got a political post, she just used to sit there saying nothing, looking nervous. Then her persona changed ! Not scary- just up self ! :)
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    glaschelle wrote: »
    A couple of months ago, mum and i were in the Kelvingrove Art Gallery here in Glasgow.

As we came round the corner into one of the galleries, I saw a woman that I thought looked familiar. I couldn't place her, but thought that she was an actress.

Before I knew what was happening, my mum's voice boomed out "I know your face, where would it be from?" The woman was a wee bit taken aback, but told us that she was an actress - what would we have seen you in? Well, she says, I've done theatre, film, and TV - including Heartbeat!!!!! Mum's favourite!

When she said that, both me and mum remembered that she was the police woman who kept chasing Phil Bellamy!!!! We discussed what a lovely show Heartbeat was, and how much mum missed it but always watched the repeats on ITV3.

The lady's name is Georgie Glen and she was very gracious with us despite having her pleasant cultural afternoon disturbed by a Heartbeat fan!

PS on the way out of the gallery, mum was talking about how lovely she was and how it had made her afternoon meeting her. But - mum confessed that she nearly said "I know your face - where from? - Do you go to the bingo in Parkhead!!!!!"

She's in Waterloo Road now isn't she? I happened to see a bit of it and she's s teacher who's (wrongly, I think) accused of bullying. She crops up in quite a few things and I do think she has 'presence' in whatever she does.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone ever met anyone from the QVC shopping channel? Would be interested to hear what they are like off-screen.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    I taught Gemma Bissex when I was training - she was very nice but she did try to sell her autograph for 10p on the playground! She had just got the part in EE at the time.

I nearly killed Stephen Fry at the Embankment station - it was Gay Pride and I was looking for my friend. I thought if I went on the bridge I would have more chance of spotting him. It worked, but in my haste to get back down the stairs I pushed into Mr Fry, almost sending him backwards. I was firstly apologetic and then startstruck, he seemed rather amused.

Then there was the time I saw a woman I thought I knew in the Disney Store. I couldn't quite place her, thought she might be a friend of my mum. I went up to her and said hello etc. She turned and said hello, looking a little confused. It then dawned on me that it was Pauline Quirke!

Oh, and I stepped on Dean Gaffney in a nightclub. He was laying on the floor at the bottom of the stairs. I remember my flatmate and I had a row about who he was in EE. We were a bit worse for wear!

Another one - Nigel Havers picked me up and gave me a kiss when I fell over a chain link fence. I was three at the time. He was playing golf at the course where my dad worked. I still have a bit of a crush on him.
  • wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Has anyone ever met anyone from the QVC shopping channel? Would be interested to hear what they are like off-screen.....

I thought this thread was about celebrities :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    I knew Kimberley Walsh pre-Girls Aloud and she was an absolute bitch. She was the class bully at school.