Has The Body of Richard III Been Found?

Comments

• collitcollit Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Still sick to bury him there.:D And no, they ain't. My husband used to live there - I been many times. Gary Lineker is probably the most civilised thing ever to come out of Leicester.:p

What an utterly foolish statement.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    They have matched the DNA with that of a bloke descended from Richard's sister, Anne.

Umm, DNA is not 100% even with fresh DNA, so DNA from bones from that long ago will start to break down. How do they know that the bloke is descended of anything to do with Richard?

where are the other graves, if there was a church there?
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    They should hang his body from the nearest lamp post for what he did to those two little boys. I'm literally in tears as I write this. I'll always maintained that pets are kinder than humans. RIP little angles :(:cry::(:cry:
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    treme wrote: »
    They should hang his body from the nearest lamp post for what he did to those two little boys. I'm literally in tears as I write this. I'll always maintained that pets are kinder than humans. RIP little angles :(:cry::(:cry:

I'm in tears of laughter imagining you doing that:D
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks for the comic post treme.....:D
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the Queen paying for this?

And will Richy get a Royal reburial at Windsor?
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No & no.

The people of Leicester will probably foot the bill, as he is being buried in their cathedral....
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member

no he is to be re-interred at Leicester Cathedral
  • collitcollit Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leicester Cathedral is only 100 yards from where he was found. There is already a memorial in there for him. There are also roads and pubs named after him and a statue in the Castle Gardens. He was well liked in Leicester and spent his last night here, and the last 500 years. It's the obvious place for him to be reburied.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where's his wife buried? I'm sure next to her is where he'd really want to be.
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    How do they know that the bloke is descended of anything to do with Richard?

Because, as already explained, he is descended from Richard's sister Anne. That's how family trees work - you can see from a family tree who somebody's parents were, and their grandparents, and their great-grandparents etc etc etc. So, trace back far enough from Michael Ibsen's immediate parents (specifically his mother), and you get back to Anne of York, Duchess of Exeter.
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So let me see. The man lost his horse and the someone whacked him over the head!
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Yes. They are struggling for tourists, I guess. Think we said before it is like the wrangling for saints' bones you get in 'Cadfael'. But after the evidence of all the obscene ways Leicester people treated his body - it is pretty awful he is not being laid to rest at York.:eek:

No surprise. Leicester is a total ****-hole, a city that has shown almost no interest in preserving its past. It's ugly, ugly, ugly, stuffed with grim post-war buildings and shopping malls. The 'cathedral' has only existed since 1927, a glorified parish church much altered by the Victorians. Apart from that fact that Richard III stayed there before Bosworth and was buried there afterwards, Leicester has no claim on the remains at all. There should be a dedicated monument constructed at York Minster, in the Perpendicular Gothic style. A new chantry chapel, the first for 450 years. But no, Leicester has the bones and the vile councillors and mayor are seeing £££ signs flashing before their grasping eyes. Sad but no different to the squabbling over the bones of medieval saints. Everything comes down to money. I doubt most people in Leicester have even heard of the Wars of the Roses.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Where's his wife buried? I'm sure next to her is where he'd really want to be.

Anne Neville is buried in Westminster Abbey, not some grotty little parish church like Leicester 'cathedral'.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anne Neville is buried in Westminster Abbey, not some grotty little parish church like Leicester 'cathedral'.

My heart says York Minster, but my head says he would have liked to have been buried next to his wife. I have nothing against Leicester, btw.
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone is welcome to the piss up at the Blue Boar Inn Leicester tonight @ 20:00.... medieval (out of date) food available courtesy of Tesco
    :D
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because, as already explained, he is descended from Richard's sister Anne. That's how family trees work - you can see from a family tree who somebody's parents were, and their grandparents, and their great-grandparents etc etc etc. So, trace back far enough from Michael Ibsen's immediate parents (specifically his mother), and you get back to Anne of York, Duchess of Exeter.

You can only trace as far back as records go and then they have to be accurate and even our own census is only as accurate as the people who fill them in.

If they said they got the DNA from his wifes body and tested it i may be a bit more trusting and think maybe they are right.

i wonder how long it will be before someone comes up and say it was fake or the DNA was wrong.

it happens a lot, where things have proved wrong over the years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone is welcome to the piss up at the Blue Boar Inn Leicester tonight @ 20:00.... medieval (out of date) food available courtesy of Tesco
    :D

"My kingdom for a horseburger..." :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because, as already explained, he is descended from Richard's sister Anne.

So the DNA belongs to someone related to the family - i.e. someone related to Anne but it's not necessarily Richard.

*Starts conspiracy theory* :cool:
  • hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard III bones confirmed...ATOS say`s fit for work..discuss
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member

And if they discover they were not murdered?

Should we hang you up?
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest it does all sound a bit too good to be true. But if they allow all their findings to be peer reviewed then it should sort it out for sure.
  • GurglesGurgles Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D:D: this can't be serious - can it?
    collit wrote: »
    Leicester Cathedral is only 100 yards from where he was found. There is already a memorial in there for him. There are also roads and pubs named after him and a statue in the Castle Gardens. He was well liked in Leicester and spent his last night here, and the last 500 years. It's the obvious place for him to be reburied.

Those are my sentiments. I'm so glad he's been found and that he can now have a proper burial.
    "My kingdom for a horseburger..." :D

:D:D:D: Genius!!!
  • Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He won't work. He's a lazy bones.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Hehe, comment on the Guardian live blog:
    Whoever the skeleton turns out to be, Atos will immediately declare him fit for work.

:eek: :p