The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sw2963 wrote: »
    Interesting stats. MBB declining due to Sat repeat ? Pointless beating The Chase . EE holding up altho' nothing happening!!

I dunno, I'm not an MBB hater, I've watched every episode so far, and at the start it was a guilty pleasure, but I think it's already starting to look a bit tired. Some of the jokes in last weeks episode were older than the hills. It's certainly not a prog they want to overdo IMHO.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expected a bit more from Dancing on the Edge. But with Richard III running over the exact same slot... iPlayer it is.
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sw2963 wrote: »
    Interesting stats. MBB declining due to Sat repeat ? Pointless beating The Chase . EE holding up altho' nothing happening!!

I think it's because Miranda wasn't on before it. I think a lot of people (including me) kind of assumed that both finished the same week. It'll probably add a lot on iplayer.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few BBC One AI's from W/C 28/01/13:

Africa - 95 :eek:
    Mrs Brown's Boys - 91
    Miranda - 89
    Death in Paradise - 88

Thanks to DanMicky77

I can't remember the last time I saw a show get 95 out of 100 in the AI scores. Well done Africa. And audiences love Mrs Brown's Boys.
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great rating for C4 last night, the news programmes gave it a huge boost. I hadn't realised the press conf. was Monday. Nice rating for EE still above 8m. Dancing On The Edge opened well, I can see it losing viewers though week by week, though it was entertaining..

I forgot Miranda had ended, the dip in Mrs Brown's Boys could be for many reasons, but a likely explanation is less chance for viewers to timeshift it due to BBC2 & C4 shows ending at 10.30.
  • ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't know why C4 haven't dumped Face the Clock yet. Yesterday:

Countdown 451k (6.1%)
    Face the Clock 369k (4.3%)
    Deal or No Deal 1.07m (9.3%)
    Four in a Bed 1.15m (8%)
    Come Dine with Me 1.15m (6.7%).
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Special programme ''Goodbye Television Centre'' on BBC1 March 15.
    Wonder if it'll be anything like that "Goodbye Pebble Mill" programme years ago.

Great ratings for Corrie last night.
  • kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »
    Abysmal performance from Channel 5 at 9pm last night. Only 600,000 for Rory & Will.

There are only so many things people can watch at any one time, there was about 6 different things on at 9pm last night that I wanted to watch thank goodness for +1 Channels/I Players/recording devices/ repeats
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    Great rating for C4 last night, the news programmes gave it a huge boost. I hadn't realised the press conf. was Monday. Nice rating for EE still above 8m. Dancing On The Edge opened well, I can see it losing viewers though week by week, though it was entertaining..

I forgot Miranda had ended, the dip in Mrs Brown's Boys could be for many reasons, but a likely explanation is less chance for viewers to timeshift it due to BBC2 & C4 shows ending at 10.30.

Thats probably why the second ep of Dancing on The Edge is on tonight to get people hooked before it goes weekly next week.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    There are only so many things people can watch at any one time, there was about 6 different things on at 9pm last night that I wanted to watch thank goodness for +1 Channels/I Players/recording devices/ repeats
    I think the main problem with Champions of the World is it's basically the same as the previous show Rory did with Paddy. It's not original enough.

At least C5's share was back up to 4.2% yesterday despite the horrific 9pm performance. Up on last Monday's 3.9% and the highest since Wednesday's 4.3%.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    I think the main problem with Champions of the World is it's basically the same as the previous show Rory did with Paddy. It's not original enough.

At least C5's share was back up to 4.2% yesterday despite the horrific 9pm performance. Up on last Monday's 3.9% and the highest since Wednesday's 4.3%.

Is Rory doing anymore of his Time Team digging type programme I liked those.
  • Andrea_ParmaAndrea_Parma Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Lewis got no uplift from lack of Miranda, it dropped to 5.8m. Back to 2 hours on Sunday or Wednesday please...

It's still doing better than last year on Wednesday.

The overnights were:
    5.21m +320 (on +1)
    5m +330
    4.85m +320
    5.01m + 352
  • Wozza20Wozza20 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The overnights were:
    5.21m +320 (on +1)
    5m +330
    4.85m +320
    5.01m + 352

Yes, but these are facts about an upturn in audience for an ITV programme, which has come with better scheduling of the show. But don't let facts like this get in the way of yet another random ITV rambling from Robbie. :rolleyes:

You see, when BBC1 moved Countryfile from morning programming to primetime programming, as the audience increased, this was a stroke of genius from the then BBC1 controller of programming. :D

You've not been on this thread for long I see, but you will get used to these inconsistencies from our Robbie...
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member

The overnights were:
    5.21m +320 (on +1)
    5m +330
    4.85m +320
    5.01m + 352

While I disagree with Robbie and think the show is doing fine , it should be noted that those ratings are for Wednesdays in April/May against The Apprentice and not Mondays in January with a lead in of nearly 10m from Corrie.

I think the show had better overnights on Sundays over the years and those ratings are slightly misleading for Lewis. The show only aired on Wednesday's for one series -2012 and that was only to dent the Apprentice.
    Wozza20 wrote: »
    Yes, but these are facts about an upturn in audience for an ITV programme, which has come with better scheduling of the show. But don't let facts like this get in the way of yet another random ITV rambling from Robbie. :rolleyes:

You see, when BBC1 moved Countryfile from morning programming to primetime programming, as the audience increased, this was a stroke of genius from the then BBC1 controller of programming. :De...

But the facts are that it did do better in the overnights on Sundays which is mostly Robbie's point.
    It is also worth remembering that last year Above Suspicion in the same slot currently occupied by Lewis was achieving similar ratings and is now axed.
  • ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being Eileen began with 2.5m (17.1%).

Mrs Brown's Boys launched in that slot with 2.6m (16.4%).
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lesley Joseph was on Loose Women today talking about the return of the 'Birds of a feather' stage version on tour this year. It ran on tour across the UK last year and was successful enough to take it to further towns in 2013.

She confirmed that a pilot script for a return to TV had been completed and they should know within a week or two if a new series has been commissioned.

Did not say what channel ( ie BBC or Gold - I assume the likely options).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Lesley Joseph was on Loose Women today talking about the return of the 'Birds of a feather' stage version on tour this year. It ran on tour across the UK last year and was successful enough to take it to further towns in 2013.

She confirmed that a pilot script for a return to TV had been completed and they should know within a week or two if a new series has been commissioned.

Did not say what channel ( ie BBC or Gold - I assume the likely options).

Interesting to say the least. Maybe Birds of a Feather and Mrs Browns Boys as the two big comedy shows for Christmas Day? (I doubt we will have a Miranda special this year. She seems in no hurry to make new episodes)
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You see, when BBC1 moved Countryfile from morning programming to primetime programming, as the audience increased, this was a stroke of genius from the then BBC1 controller of programming. :D

You've not been on this thread for long I see, but you will get used to these inconsistencies from our Robbie...

I was only pointing out that whereas the expectation was that without Miranda the last Lewis two parter may see a ratings uplift, instead it fell.

Some chippy ITVistas around today... :rolleyes:
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting to say the least. Maybe Birds of a Feather and Mrs Browns Boys as the two big comedy shows for Christmas Day? (I doubt we will have a Miranda special this year. She seems in no hurry to make new episodes)

Cohen's priorities should be to secure a 45 minute Miranda special and another McIntyre Comedy Roadshow to bookend the already confirmed MBB. With an EE lead in, Downton has no chance against that.

In return for delivering one special this year, he could give her until autumn 2014 to deliver series 4.
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    Outnumbered repeat flops with 3.6m and knocks MBB down to 6.43m

How is that a flop? It's a repeat. Obviously not as good a lead-in as Miranda but that's still good for MBB, will still consolidate well.
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    ronant wrote: »
    Being Eileen began with 2.5m (17.1%).

Mrs Brown's Boys launched in that slot with 2.6m (16.4%).

I'd be interested to know at what point Disney Channel (UK) peaked at yesterday, particularly because they showed the first episode of a new series of a show which they had been trailing in mostly every ad break.
  • BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »
    I think it's because Miranda wasn't on before it. I think a lot of people (including me) kind of assumed that both finished the same week. It'll probably add a lot on iplayer.

Yeah I thought MMB had finished last week too. Only realised it was on after I seen someone comment about it on FB then had to catch up on iplayer
  • Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    dullagj2 wrote: »

January overnight averages for the Big Three:
    Corrie: 9.16m
    up 30k y-o-y

EastEnders: 8.27m
    down 690k y-o-y

Emmerdale: 7.23m
    down 330k y-o-y

Thanks for these dullagj2. So Corrie is marginally up y-o-y. That's excellent when you consider at the same points last year featured Becky's exit and the start of the Frank trial (so bigger stories IMO compared to the Kirsty/Tyrone stuff).

Emmerdale down about 300k whilst EE falls a huge 700k. That's not great for January especially considering the awful weather we've had last month.

As for last night. Stand out rating is for Richard III on C4 IMO. That's a HUGE figure with 3.7m inc +1. MBB ended farily low but lost the lead out from Miranda. Why didn't BBC1 just move it to 9pm? Surely starting at that junction would have made more sense. Corrie continues to pull in some really strong figures although the ridiculous scheduling for the Wednesday episode at 21.30 could stop the momentum for the rest of the week now.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have an awful feeling that promoting Countryfile was actually a Jay Hunt idea:eek:
  • rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Demographic Information for BBC1 and ITV for Monday 28th January to Sunday 3rd February: http://i46.tinypic.com/ke92lv.jpg

Top programmes for the week among 18-49 year olds from that list (excludes soaps and news) were:

1. Miranda: 11.3
    2. Mrs Brown's Boys: 10.2
    3. Call The Midwife: 8.0
    4. Splash!: 7.9
    5. Take Me Out: 7.9
    6. Six Nations: England v Scotland: 7.7
    7. Dancing on Ice: 7.6
    8. Africa: 7.4
    9. The Jonathan Ross Show: 6.1
    10. Ripper Street: 6.0

Note: Each number indicates the % of the UK 18-49 population. For e.g. 11.3% of 18-49 year olds living in the UK watched Miranda
This discussion has been closed.