Setting up a TV with Freesat box

Basically here's the situation:

I've just ordered a new LCD TV which is going to be delivered in the next couple of days. Currently my TV is connected to a Freesat box, which connects to the dish outside. The box is connected to the TV with a SCART lead and is controlled by it's own remote control.

The new TV only comes with a Freeview tuner built in. What I'm wondering is, is there a way of tuning the new TV when it arrives so that the Freesat channels appear on the main TV EPG etc, rather than having to select the Freesat box as an external input then using another remote to navigate the channels?

Comments

• stylostylo Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    topdog2006 wrote: »
    Basically here's the situation:

I've just ordered a new LCD TV which is going to be delivered in the next couple of days. Currently my TV is connected to a Freesat box, which connects to the dish outside. The box is connected to the TV with a SCART lead and is controlled by it's own remote control.

The new TV only comes with a Freeview tuner built in. What I'm wondering is, is there a way of tuning the new TV when it arrives so that the Freesat channels appear on the main TV EPG etc, rather than having to select the Freesat box as an external input then using another remote to navigate the channels?

It'll be exactly the same usability / procedure as your current setup.
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only way, would have been to choose a tv that has freesat built into it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah, I agree with the above posters.

It will continue working in the same way........ you will have to use the separate freesat remote control to change channels......

you could use an aerial connection (the tv will have built in freeview) but there will be fewer channels to chose from.

it is possible to buy a tv with inbuilt freesat, but its too late for that now, unless you want to send back the tv.

also, do you know what freesat box you have? it might support HD and have a hdmi out socket, enabling you to watch high definition programmes on your new TV.

SCART is a bit of an old fashioned connection, and will not have the best picture quality these days.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only way it might be possible to control the Freesat box from the TV is if both have something like what Panasonic call Viera Link. This uses a control channel on the HDMI to send commands from the TV to the device on the other end of the lead.

However reading a random Panasonic manual I can't see any mention of using Viera Link to change channels on an attached unit. So perhaps that sort of function isn't supported. And of course if the Freesat box and TV don't talk a compatible control language or there is no HDMI link then such control may not be possible anyway.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a freeview enabled TV (Samsung) and a freesat box. Yes, I do have to use the freesat remote to access it but it is no hardship. I actually turn the freesat box off as we only used it to get channels not on freeview and also when we had problems with Rowridge transmitter before it was upgraded. In windy weather the freeview picture broke up but that is all fixed now.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,427
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    The only way it might be possible to control the Freesat box from the TV is if both have something like what Panasonic call Viera Link. This uses a control channel on the HDMI to send commands from the TV to the device on the other end of the lead.

However reading a random Panasonic manual I can't see any mention of using Viera Link to change channels on an attached unit. So perhaps that sort of function isn't supported. And of course if the Freesat box and TV don't talk a compatible control language or there is no HDMI link then such control may not be possible anyway.

No Freesat boxes support CEC HDMI, the proper name for what Panasonic call Viera Link (co-invented by Sony/Panasonic) - which in any case doesn't provide channel changing on a remote unit, there's really no need.