Music videos that were never shown on TV

TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
Forum Member
Watching Vintage TV's 1970s compilation that's on now I'm struck by how many videos I don't remember ever having seen before. I don't remember the videos for Dan Hartman's Instant Replay or Sylvester's You Make Me Feel Mighty Real are new to me as was one for the Small Faces track (although as that wasn't a hit its more understandable that its unfamiliar).

It does bring home how reliant the music industry was on TOTP to show the videos. It also makes you wonder in terms of UK-only hits why it was considered financially viable to make videos then when they might never be broadcast.

Comments

• pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Music promos were around many years before the modern " Video " was invented.

Pink Floyd, The Beatles and The Stones regularly appeared on TV via these filmed items.
  • Dan-techDan-tech Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    I'm seeing many videos on Vintage TV these day's that I have never seen before from the 70s and 80s rock pop acts
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They don't make music videos like they used to !
    I'm thinking ZZ Top, The Cars, Michael Jackson, Dire Straits, ABBA etc
    It was like watching a short film rather than a product.
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    It also makes you wonder in terms of UK-only hits why it was considered financially viable to make videos then when they might never be broadcast.

Most videos were made very cheaply.
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Don't think polices very controversial :1981 song invisable sun which was about the 1981 Ira hunger strikes was ever shown know Totp banned it but as there was only 3 channels then
    Doubt it was ever shown