Chivalry and Betrayal: The Hundred Years War

moondewmoondew Posts: 565
Forum Member
✭✭
This is on tonight at 9pm on BBC4. I love these historical programmes, they're fascinating, and even better when presented by Janina Ramirez - she really brings the subject to life, imo.

Comments

• ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up - nice timing for the BBC with Richard III poping up in that car park sparking an interest in things medeaval - maybe the lovely Dr. Janina can do a follow up series on the wars of the roses:D
  • moondewmoondew Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up - nice timing for the BBC with Richard III poping up in that car park sparking an interest in things medeaval - maybe the lovely Dr. Janina can do a follow up series on the wars of the roses:D

That's a good idea. Hopefully someone at the Beeb will have thought of it. ;)
  • Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It certainly would have sparked interest, had R3 "popped up".

I suppose the HYW is the last time the French won anything in the end. :D
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw Janina telling us about this on Twitter the other day. Will definitely be tuning in as I enjoy her documentaries.
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,140
    Forum Member
    moondew wrote: »
    This is on tonight at 9pm on BBC4. I love these historical programmes, they're fascinating, and even better when presented by Janina Ramirez - she really brings the subject to life, imo.

Thanks for that...I will definitely record it.
  • yosemitesamyosemitesam Posts: 869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that, hadn't realised it was going to be on, looking forward to this.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's repeated on BBC HD on Saturday evening.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this

BBC4 really is an oasis in the desert...............:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Looking forward to this

How true. :D

The prog is the first of a 3-part series, and is repeated on thursday at 11pm.
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,116
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Looking forward to this

Too true. I notice Channel 4's showing another one of their "Let's laugh at gypsies" programmes again:yawn:
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    That's when I'm going to watch this....a long wait.:(
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    That's when I'm going to watch this....a long wait.:(

Difficult choice - the one she did on manuscripts was well worth watching in HD but if this is more monuments and battle fields it may not be. Mind you my telly is fairly small by modern standards so I dont gain much from HD. (At least I think I watched it in HD - so many good documentries on BBC4 :o)
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    Difficult choice - the one she did on manuscripts was well worth watching in HD but if this is more monuments and battle fields it may not be. Mind you my telly is fairly small by modern standards so I dont gain much from HD. (At least I think I watched it in HD - so many good documentries on BBC4 :o)
    They're better in HD....:cool:

I can wait.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a brilliant programme - now that's how to give a history lesson :D

Great to see the old walled city at Carcassonne. I went there many moons ago - you really get an idea of what life was like in medieval times when you walk along the streets, and look round the old buildings.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great to see the old walled city at Carcassonne. I went there many moons ago - you really get an idea of what life was like in medieval times when you walk along the streets, and look round the old buildings.

packed with tacky souvenir shops, over priced restaurants and hoards of tourists.
    (half) joking aside it is a lovely city in beautiful countryside with a fascinating history. An area where we have spent much time over many years.
  • guenevereguenevere Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gramercy (medieval, from "grand merci"), BBC, for bringing back La Ramirez so soon in another feast of visuals and good historical analysis. Now, instead of the deplorable unavailability of "Illuminations" (out of print at the British Library in this, a coronation jubilee year - 2 June 1953) . . . . can we have a DVD of this one, please? She is arguably the best TV historian since Michael Wood. They'd make a great team on some kind of special.
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent stuff; a king I knew very little about, beautifully conveyed. BBC4 is wonderful.

One small puzzlement - she described herself as a 'cultural historian' tonight. I'm sure when she did the Anglo-Saxon treasures series, she described herself as an art historian.
  • Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The HYW is one of these subjects we all learn about in school, so this was most interesting in putting everything in context, including the separate national identities.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,274
    Forum Member
    I loved her programme about the Icelandic Sagas on BBC4 a year to two ago. I've still got it on my Sky+! I'll have to catch the repeat of this on Thursday, I forgot to record it. Dr Janina is very interesting and enthusiastic about the subjects she's talking about and I seem to take more of it in!
  • Radical JoeRadical Joe Posts: 15,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A great watch, and must see TV for anyone interested in medieval history. There was also another historical doc on BBC4 an hour later (why couldn't they schedule them together?) about the logistics involved in English/Britsih military campaigns, presented by Nigel Saul which touched on the Hundred Years War.
  • merlinsmummerlinsmum Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »

Thanks for that as I missed it.:) Plus i notice the film 'The Kite Runner' is on before it from 9.00pm. Will record that too as the book was one that has stayed with me since reading it a few years back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The HYW is one of these subjects we all learn about in school, so this was most interesting in putting everything in context, including the separate national identities.

Not in my state school in the 90s it wasn't! So much of English history tends to be missed from the curriculum - I've had to read up on it myself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    geoveo wrote: »
    packed with tacky souvenir shops, over priced restaurants and hoards of tourists.
    (half) joking aside it is a lovely city in beautiful countryside with a fascinating history. An area where we have spent much time over many years.

I didn't mind the tourists, it's a sign of how popular the place is :D You're lucky to have been there a lot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not in my state school in the 90s it wasn't! So much of English history tends to be missed from the curriculum - I've had to read up on it myself.

I taught Medieval history to Y7 from the 1980s right through to the mid 21st C. National Curriculum.but the kids always said they looked forward to the Tudors because I promised them sex as well as violence with that lot!

Sure you didn't sleep through those years????;).I suppose some of my lot probably did..you can't grab 'em all:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizaj wrote: »
    I taught Medieval history to Y7 from the 1980s right through to the mid 21st C. National Curriculum.but the kids always said they looked forward to the Tudors because I promised them sex as well as violence with that lot!

Sure you didn't sleep through those years????;).I suppose some of my lot probably did..you can't grab 'em all:(

Strange - we definitely didn't do it at our school - we joined secondary in year 8 though. I only did history up until the end of year 9; maybe if I'd chosen it as a GCSE option (instead of geography), it would have been on that syllabus.

No I was a top student :p - definitely didn't sleep through any lessons!