Blu-ray Disc " Skyfall" Will Not Play

I have just purchased the "Skyfall" Blu-ray DVD Digital Disc and the Blu-ray disc will not play on my Samsung Blu-ray player. I get the 20thCentury Fox logo introwith sound, then nothing. On my machine it says play but every which way I try I can't get the disc to play.
All the other Blu-ray discs in my collection play automatically with no trouble, as I have checked some of them.
Am I missing something or have the Blu-ray discs changed?
My Samsung model is: BD-P1500 and it is five years old.
I have returned the first disc to Amazon thinking it was faulty and received a replacement, but the replacement is just the same.
Any help would be gratefully accepted

Comments

• evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Find someone with a blu-ray player and see if Skyfall plays on it, then you'll know. Try a cleaning kit on yours. Probably it's the first sign that your player is on the way out, so a new one would be a good idea.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most likely needs a software update.

Click on firmware link here.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/BD-P1500/XEE-downloads
  • banbury_oddballbanbury_oddball Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skyfall won't play on my media pc via TotalMedia 5. All other blu rays play fine on it and just says 'cannot play this disc'. It will play fine via my PS3 which isn't linked to the interweb either so a bit odd.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got a copy yesterday and have only just had a quick try so far, not watched it all.

I've got a Sony BDP-S350 so not exactly brand spanking new bleeding edge technology. It did take a while to get past the MGM logo at the start and several skips forward to bypass all the adverts and other junk at the head of the disk. But eventually got the main menu and selected PLAY. And it played OK, or at least the first few seconds anyway.

But I get the impression that even those few seconds are more than some have managed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Got a copy yesterday and have only just had a quick try so far, not watched it all.

I've got a Sony BDP-S350 so not exactly brand spanking new bleeding edge technology. It did take a while to get past the MGM logo at the start and several skips forward to bypass all the adverts and other junk at the head of the disk. But eventually got the main menu and selected PLAY. And it played OK, or at least the first few seconds anyway.

But I get the impression that even those few seconds are more than some have managed.

I have the same player, watched the whole movie yesterday evening. No problem other than the slow load times you refer to.
  • gottiegottie Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Just done a complete software update. Now works a treat!

Many thanks for the advice and feedback.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    My advice was dreadful! Sorry about that. Good for grahamlthompson, got it spot on! My NTSC blu-ray of Skyfall also played OK but took ages to get past the MGM logo on my Samsung BD-C5900.
  • PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edit: it's ok, was being stupid
  • tom558tom558 Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a Panasonic DMP-BD77 Blu ray player and am having problems with Skyfall.

It loads up then starts at a still frame from within the film,often at the point where I last stopped the movie,the only way I can watch Skyfall,is to 'rewind' to the start,then it plays OK.
    Anyone got an idea of why that should be?, have the latest firmware,and have even exchanged my first copy for another,thinking that was the problem.

Not had Blu- ray for long,so don't know much about it,but all my other Blu-rays play just fine.

Should add,that the first time I played it,there was no problem,it's just since then?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tom558 wrote: »

It loads up then starts at a still frame from within the film,often at the point where I last stopped the movie,the only way I can watch Skyfall,is to 'rewind' to the start,then it plays OK.
    Anyone got an idea of why that should be?, have the latest firmware,and have even exchanged my first copy for another,thinking that was the problem.

Not had Blu- ray for long,so don't know much about it,but all my other Blu-rays play just fine.

Should add,that the first time I played it,there was no problem,it's just since then?.
    Maybe there is some sort of "auto resume" mode?

As I posted above at the time I only played a few seconds of the beginning of the movie as a test. A couple of days later when I had a chance to watch the entire film I put the disc in and my Sony instantly went to the point I had stopped it previously and offered me the choice of playing from that point or gong back to the start.

Maybe your player is doing something similar but without the play options?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe there is some sort of "auto resume" mode?

As I posted above at the time I only played a few seconds of the beginning of the movie as a test. A couple of days later when I had a chance to watch the entire film I put the disc in and my Sony instantly went to the point I had stopped it previously and offered me the choice of playing from that point or gong back to the start.

Maybe your player is doing something similar but without the play options?

I don't think there is that option,did think a factory reset may clear memory,and cure it,but not keen on that as the issue,is only on Skyfall.
    Thanks for the input.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member

This disc is endcoded with an Auto Resume feature which is probably why it goes straight to the last scene you stopped at.
    Not all Blu Ray discs have Auto Resume encoded which is why youve not noticed it on your other discs.
    'Rewind'. Can you not just press the Menu/PopUp or similar button on your remote to bring up the popup menu then select Top Menu or select Search and select scene 1?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    This disc is endcoded with an Auto Resume feature which is probably why it goes straight to the last scene you stopped at.
    Not all Blu Ray discs have Auto Resume encoded which is why youve not noticed it on your other discs.
    'Rewind'. Can you not just press the Menu/PopUp or similar button on your remote to bring up the popup menu then select Top Menu or select Search and select scene 1?

Yes I was just pressing the,I think.top menu and this took me straight back to the start menu,and I could start from there,now even this does not happen,so I have to 'rewind' I know that sounds daft,like a video,but it's the only way to run the film.

The first time I played the film I got three trailers then,went to the start menu,as it should,but now this does not happen,its just a still frame from the last position I stopped it at.

I note that not all discs have auto resume,and suppose that is why my other titles have no issue ref this.

Anyway it's an interesting learning curve for me,like I say,only had my first Blu-ray player recently,and this is the first problem :). Thanks for the help guys.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    It could also quite possibly be a compatability issue with your player and may require a firmware update. As you say its got the latest then maybe give Panasonic a call and they may be able to investigate further to resolve the issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    It could also quite possibly be a compatability issue with your player and may require a firmware update. As you say its got the latest then maybe give Panasonic a call and they may be able to investigate further to resolve the issue.

Yes think I will do that,I feel if I could wipe the memory it would fix the issue,but don't really want to factory reset.
    It certainly has the latest firmware available,it was the first thing I did with it out of the box,and was easy,just over the net upgrade,no messing with discs,or even memory sticks.

Must say though,apart from this issue,am very pleased with the player,now have another way of watching the iPlayer,have Netflix and can download video content to a memory stick,and watch on the TV,very nice :)
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pity people who might have a Bluray player but don't have a broadband connection...

Would be a take-player-back-to-the-shop job for them..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes think I will do that,I feel if I could wipe the memory it would fix the issue,but don't really want to factory reset.
    Why not?

It should only just zap any user settings and whatever memory storage it uses for things like Auto Resume. It shouldn't zap the firmware back to any previous version.

All it should mean is that you'll have to put back any user config settings you put in when you took it out of the box.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not?

It should only just zap any user settings and whatever memory storage it uses for things like Auto Resume. It shouldn't zap the firmware back to any previous version.

All it should mean is that you'll have to put back any user config settings you put in when you took it out of the box.

I have accepted now that it is just the auto resume on Skyfall,and not,as I first though,some kind of fault with the disc.

Reading about auto resume it seems that many like this feature,I certainly don't,I am the sorts that likes to sit and watch a film from start to end,in one go.

From what I read,a lot of people like to watch a film,a bit at a time?,so like auto resume,maybe people just don't have the attention span these days?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have accepted now that it is just the auto resume on Skyfall,and not,as I first though,some kind of fault with the disc.

Reading about auto resume it seems that many like this feature,I certainly don't,I am the sorts that likes to sit and watch a film from start to end,in one go.

From what I read,a lot of people like to watch a film,a bit at a time?,so like auto resume,maybe people just don't have the attention span these days?.

Normally you are offered an option, resume or start again. Doesn't the top menu button return you to the Play all/Chapter selection screen ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normally you are offered an option, resume or start again. Doesn't the top menu button return you to the Play all/Chapter selection screen ?

Not with Skyfall on my player anyway,does it not depend on the disc?,maybe someone could comment who has the Blu-ray of Skyfall,if they have that option?.
    Just noticed your chapter selection comment,yes I can go back to the start that way.

When I first played the film though I saw three trailers,first,it's not that I 'want' to see them again,but do wonder why I can see them now.

Having said that once I powered down the box,with the disc in,and it did start again,including the trailers,but not been able to reproduce this.

My interest is technical,it's not that I want to see them,its just why can't I see them :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not with Skyfall on my player anyway,does it not depend on the disc?,maybe someone could comment who has the Blu-ray of Skyfall,if they have that option?.
    If you go back up a few posts you'll see that I did a quick test of the movie in my Sony. When I went to watch it properly the player went straight to the point I stopped it previously in the brief test play.

It paused at that point and a pop-up box appeared with options to play from where it had paused or go back to the beginning of the movie and play from there instead. I think it it might have offered the option to go back to the top menu of the movie as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you go back up a few posts you'll see that I did a quick test of the movie in my Sony. When I went to watch it properly the player went straight to the point I stopped it previously in the brief test play.

It paused at that point and a pop-up box appeared with options to play from where it had paused or go back to the beginning of the movie and play from there instead. I think it it might have offered the option to go back to the top menu of the movie as well.

Think I will try the factory reset :) if I put the disc in now, I get the film company logo with music,for a few seconds,then a short load screen,then a still picture of where I last left off.

So make of that,what you will,but I am confused :).

Anyway its not of great concern to me,I can get the film to play easy enough,and that's the main thing really.

See how I get on the next time I come across auto resume,have Argo on order,wonder if that one features it?.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm - with this much hassle, I think I'll rent and stream the film on Blinkbox...
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    alcockell wrote: »
    I pity people who might have a Bluray player but don't have a broadband connection...

Would be a take-player-back-to-the-shop job for them..

Or a friends house.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's nothing to do with attention span, sometimes you just want to be able to stop the disk and then start watching again, it could be a trip to the loo, to make a cuppa or answer the phone. Not being able to do this for all disks is probably the biggest single fault with the blu-ray spec.