Hdmi help please

jrkjrk Posts: 99
Forum Member
I have a sky account but do not have HD account. Just bought an LG DVD recorder,which works fine. I understand that there is free access to some HD channels via Freeview. I inherited an hdmi cable with my new tv. I am at a loss as to how to, for example, receive BBC HD service. I plug the cable in properly and select the input Hdmi and just get snow! No picture it is as if the connection was not made although the control on the TV recognises the connection. What am I doing wrong please, or am I expecting to much?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    jrk wrote: »
    I have a sky account but do not have HD account. Just bought an LG DVD recorder,which works fine. I understand that there is free access to some HD channels via Freeview. I inherited an hdmi cable with my new tv. I am at a loss as to how to, for example, receive BBC HD service. I plug the cable in properly and select the input Hdmi and just get snow! No picture it is as if the connection was not made although the control on the TV recognises the connection. What am I doing wrong please, or am I expecting to much?
    If your TV has a Freeview HD tuner, as distinct from a simple Freeview tuner, which many older TVs have, then tuning in in setup should get you the HD channels. Or are you expecting to receive HD on your new recorder? I think you need to explain your problem in more detail.
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm also a bit confused. What has your Sky account to do with your Freeview problem...and posted in the Freesat+ Recorders section?

You might get a better response in the Freeview forum.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    How exactly have you connected the DVD recorder to the TV?
    Can you see a picture with a DVD playing?
    What sort of tuner does your DVD recorder have?
    If its analogue then you won't get a reception at all.
    If it has a Freeview tuner then you need to tune it in, but unless it has a Freeview HD tuner then you will not recieve HD channels.
  • jrkjrk Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    From my request for assistance you should see that I am no expert.
    The recorder is connected to TV directly Via the sockets fitted to either.
    I was advised by the vendor that this way of connecting would allow access to HD.
    Why did I mention Sky! Because it is a newbies effort to anticipate questions that may be asked.
    Also the list of features in the recorder is lengthy, but includes HDMI interface and regular Freeview.
    If you ask me what point there is in mentioning Freeview well again that is my attempt to articulate my query.
    Obviously I know how to set up preview.
    If I am in the wrong forum I humbly apologise, one of the consequences of being inexpert and somehow misreading the forum group heading. Very intimidating asking questions in an 'expert' forum.
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you wanting to watch (say) BBC1 HD via your TV (Freeview HD),.via the Freeview tuner in your DVD recorder (unlikely to let you have it, but might be possible) or via your Sky HD box?

I would guess that the answer is via your Sky HD box - which is why people are questioning your decision to (1) mention your LG DVD recorder and (2) put this thread in the Freesat+ forum.

Connect your Sky HD box to your TV via HDMI. Select channel 143 (I think) on the Sky box. Select HDMI input on the TV. Watch BBC1 HD. That's it. Your LG DVD recorder doesn't come into it.

Actually, having looked at your second post in this thread, it seems that you are expecting your DVD recorder to be able to give you Freeview HD channels because it has come with a HDMI cable. I think you are expecting too much here. The HDMI cable is purely to connect the recorder to the telly in the same way that a scart cable does - it doesn't automatically give you high definition Freeview channels.
  • jrkjrk Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Thank you so much. Articulating these tech issues is not easy.
    I will try what you suggest and hope for something to happen. I think the vendor accidentally mislead me. Again "thank you".