✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I've never seen it on TV. I watched it at school :D

this

was pretty good too
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen the Lon Chaney version and the Malkovitch version on TV. Both are terrific, though in my opinion Burgess Meredith is better as George than Gary Sinise. So if you can only see one, go for the 1939 one. Of course it is out of copyright now, so you can download it legally I think.
  • wacky joewacky joe Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnbee gonna watch the 1939 version on utube.
    Cheers
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I watched it at school :D

Didn't every one? :D

Seriously though, I like the 1992 version of the film with John Malkovich and Gary Sinise (and also directed and produced by the latter) a lot. Malkovich made for an excellent Lennie. Shame it was something of a commercial failure inspite of being very well reviewed.

It's a terrific novel, the characters are just so strongly written.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got the DVD :D The 1992 version. Always makes me think of my GCSE days. :o
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I know this is a film board but Steinbeck's novel is well worth a read - one of his best.

'Tell me about the rabbits, George'
  • GellymissGellymiss Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is still a GCSE book....how many years on the trot has this been????
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gellymiss wrote: »
    This is still a GCSE book....how many years on the trot has this been????

From an english lit point of view it's a great educational tool because you can study what the characters are like in themselves, but also through their relations with other people and the wider society of which they are a part. The characters are also well defined and relatable, and the themes, while interesting, are not subtable.

For that reason it's always been a key part of the GCSE curriculum.
  • GellymissGellymiss Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    From an english lit point of view it's a great educational tool because you can study what the characters are like in themselves, but also through their relations with other people and the wider society of which they are a part. The characters are also well defined and relatable, and the themes, while interesting, are not subtable.

For that reason it's always been a key part of the GCSE curriculum.

Yep, I know I taught it. (But to younger students.) I just would like to see something else offered. On a plus note, my son will be sitting pretty for his Lit course. Before I knew it would be one of the books on the course, we watched the film and discussed it in depth.:o

On a film side, there was a fine television version made with Randy Quaid as George back in the early eighties.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gellymiss wrote: »
    Yep, I know I taught it. (But to younger students.) I just would like to see something else offered. On a plus note, my son will be sitting pretty for his Lit course. Before I knew it would be one of the books on the course, we watched the film and discussed it in depth.:o

well in fairness it's likely a new thing for the vast majority of students when they do it at gcse. And I think there are only a limited number of books that fit the bill so well.
  • *Cadhla**Cadhla* Posts: 1,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen the Sinise version on TCM a few times...I Skyplussed it from there last year or the year before. I have never seen it on terrestial tv.
  • SmartTIIamSmartTIIam Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    I saw it broadcast on Television but it was a fair few years ago.

"Tell me about the rabbits, George.."