game violence in news again

CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
Forum Member
A 13-YEAR-OLD thug slit the throat of another schoolboy after an argument about violent video games they had been playing.

The pair had met a few months earlier while playing Xbox game Gears of War 3 online.

But they had an apparently trivial fall-out that ended with the 14-year-old victim being brutally slashed.

A judge was told yesterday police believe 18-rated games such as Gears of War could have been “a factor” in the attack.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/xbox-live-gears-war-3-1866681

came across this story while going through the paper this morning, no mention in the story apart from one sentence at the end saying it is an 18 game and children shouldnt be playing it. no blame for the parents buying their kids a game that they shouldnt be playing and to be honest no actual link to the game being the cause of the violence except the police's opinion.

Comments

• PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a little **** that kid is.

Yeah, no mention of parents or that. The kid sounds like a right nasty little shit, the sort of person that society wouldn't miss at all if he just didn't exist, heck society would probably gain. I remember when I was really young getting chased by a teen with a knife around my local street, I was terrified, but that sounds horrific, feel sorry for the kid who got hurt.

Computer games are an easy scape goat, always have been always will be.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's more the upbringing of the kid and his mental state, games always get slated for this.
  • Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If parents took a bit more responsibility for what their kids were playing, maybe even, shock horror, sitting down and supervising them as they were playing, perhaps this sort of thing would happen less often.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go again....
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I do love these articles. LOVE THEM !!

Given that I love my games so much, it makes me laugh how people think they contribute to these killings.

LOVE IT !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    I do love these articles. LOVE THEM !!

Given that I love my games so much, it makes me laugh how people think they contribute to these killings.

LOVE IT !

I'm so glad Scotland is quite a far bit away from Kent, cos that's quite a worrying statement :o
  • MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Little known fact Jack the Ripper was a huge GTA fan.
  • rory rrory r Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Better stop them watching Tom and Jerry cartoons also then.
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MsLurker wrote: »
    Little known fact Jack the Ripper was a huge GTA fan.
    Careful Keith Vaz might quote you....:eek::
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redlight79 wrote: »
    I'm so glad Scotland is quite a far bit away from Kent, cos that's quite a worrying statement :o

Don't worry, i'm from Scotland too, and i'm an absolute sweetheart. But i did once have a female stalker from Gravesend, so...swings and roundabouts, really. :D
  • BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least it's not GTA getting the blame for once.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny how they never blame racing games for boy racers/bazza boys
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard on the news that the murder rate is at its lowest in decades, so thats with increasingly violent video games! Something doesn't add up. Ok, better detection methods used by police might be the biggest factor.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I blame the news and people and Keith Chegwin, All three need to be eradicated and banned before it's too late.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    redlight79 wrote: »

Oops that may have came across as a little psycho.

I don't love the killings .... but I enjoy people stupidly blaming games for them. Their stupidness makes me laugh.

I'm not in Britain anymore, you're all safe
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    If it was the violence in the games or on the televisions fault, then we would all be out murdering people.