Brit Awards - Nomination Criteria

mooneusmooneus Posts: 543
Forum Member
✭✭
Can anyone clarify what the criteria is for a Brit Award Nomination? As far as I was aware an artist needs to have released an album in the previous year to be nominated,i.e. this year all nominated artists should have released an album in 2013, with the exception of the 'Best Single' category where the song should have been released in 2013.

However, I see that many artists who have released albums in 2012 have been nominated such as Ellie Goulding and Pink. Can anyone please clarify why they have been nominated? I'm fine with Burn being nominated for Best Single but why has Ellie been nominated for Best Female when Halycon was released in 2012. I didn't think that re-issued albums counted.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because they've been prominent in the charts... Pink had the biggest selling album by a female artist in America or something i read somewhere with TTAL
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    I think it may also have something to do with the fact that neither Pink or Ellie were nominated last year for their most recent albums, hence they have effectively been 'carried over' as the panel have now realised they got it wrong last time. ;-)

It's the Brits, it's not supposed to make sense is it?
  • SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it was nominations go to those that might turn up on the night
    Winners are those that will turn up on the night :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    Their criteria is if there's a chance you can attend the actual awards then you get a nomination! Should you actually attend & even perform then you're almost guaranteed to win your catagory!
    That's just how it works at the Brits. Artists like Britney & Christina who have both had huge success in the UK have barely ever been nominated because they favour the US award shows!
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the qualifying period is the calender year (i.e. start of Jan to end of Dec).