F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2013 Season

Comments

• jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiberian9 wrote: »
    Good to see the new thread, feels like the new season must be close.
    Anyway, I know history and tradition dictate the name of the thread, but why is it called The Verdict?
    Surely we cannot have a verdict until all the evidence has been presented.

Just asking. :D

Sorry to be really thick and boring by repeating this question, but I don't know why it's called 'the verdict' either! I'm sure there's a really good history to this thread, but as a relative newcomer (last year) I've no idea what that is!
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indycar or WRC confirmed on Sky are possible but I doubt the Sky F1 insider would be going on about either as 'Massive news', Most likely F1 related.

My guesses:
    Confirmation of HD OnBoard cameras or some other feature coming from FOM.
    New addition or change to the Sky F1 team.
    New features coming to Sky's F1 coverage.
    Final Barcelona test to have some sort of live coverage on SSF1.
    Exclusive inside access to a team or driver all year.

MotoGP for 2014 would be feasible. It's going to be rights related I know it.

MotoGP is up at the end of the season. Sky could easily snatch it. I don't know if Dorna want Free to air.

WRC and Indycar are the most likely. Maybe both. Would please you guy's allot.

Ken
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,395
    Forum Member
    tiberian9 wrote: »
    I know history and tradition dictate the name of the thread, but why is it called The Verdict?
    Surely we cannot have a verdict until all the evidence has been presented.

Just asking. :D
    Sorry to be really thick and boring by repeating this question, but I don't know why it's called 'the verdict' either! I'm sure there's a really good history to this thread, but as a relative newcomer (last year) I've no idea what that is!
    The verdict title goes back to the original thread, initial discussion was about everyone's thoughts/opinions of the F1 Digital+ service:
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=19146

BTW regarding the testing coverage on SSN, Like last year I plan on capturing everything through the day & putting together a compilation every night once they stop adding new content to the reports.
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,077
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't call that massive

Depends on who but even then, massive would surely be an understatement

It'd have to be really really good for me to call it massive

That'd be something close to massive as we've never had live testing coverage before

Not sure I'd class that as massive

New title sponsor coming on to replace Santander.
    Most definitely not massive, it's certainly nothing that fans would really give a monkey's about if we're honest
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It all started 11 years ago when Botty started a small little known thread asking for peoples Verdict on the new F1 Digital+ service.The thread grew and was popular, the name stuck through the ITV era into the BBC era and onto the present day. You could call it tradition, I say it's a good thread name.

I started reading 6 or 7 years ago and only started posting rather recently. As you can probably tell. :o

Ken
  • DuncanEmeryDuncanEmery Posts: 415
    Forum Member

DTM: Yawning already thinking about it, but ESPN is likely to be showing this again.

Rumour is ESPN will close down its UK channel at the end of football season so maybe just highlights on ITV4
  • gd49gd49 Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote: »
    2013 is the final year of the current deal.

Care to hazard a guess on what might happen next year?
    Funk You wrote: »
    Yeah I remember taping them races over night and then watching them back in the morning before school, CH5 used to have a strand most nights full of sport usually Champ/Indycars, Baseball, Football (usually German or Portugese if I remember correct) think they showed Bathurst highlights too. I remember a blonde girl presenting it a lot of the time in front of a screen in a cheap studio and she would run down the order of what was on every so often. It was a good thing they had going but like everything these days good things come to an end. I would much rather watch that then some boring poker shows.

Sadly I suspect the poker shows make more money from the few people desparate enough to ring in overnight than any advertising would - did they even show adverts in the breaks or was it just trailers for other shows?
    RedSnapper wrote: »
    There are two posts in the last couple of pages suggesting the BBC could get the rights to minor series and "show them on the Red Button".

I am struggling to understand why this is thought an option given that the BBC's support for motorsport is now somewhat suspect at the very least and the fact that the red Button service has been severely curtailed recently. Not to mention the red button will soon have looped coverage of season 2 of The Voice 24/7.....

I agree - given the BBC's current atitiude to motorsport, and the fact they didn't even show GP2/GP3 when they did have the rights, I'd be amazed if they started showing some minor motorsport.
    F1Ken wrote: »
    MotoGP for 2014 would be feasible. It's going to be rights related I know it.

MotoGP is up at the end of the season. Sky could easily snatch it. I don't know if Dorna want Free to air.

WRC and Indycar are the most likely. Maybe both. Would please you guy's allot.

Ken

Dorna preferred to stay with the BBC even though Eurosport's offer was better last time around, so think FTA is very important to Dorna. I agree can't see the BBC making much effort to retain it.
  • JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did it involve gentleman sausage!?
    Really?

Please oh please just stop.
    Jp
  • Fergie1Fergie1 Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely the only 'massive news' to be announced on the first day of testing is some form of coverage?
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sky F1 Insider just tweeted that they have some MASSIVE news( their words not mine) for us tomorrow. I wonder what it could be...
    Probably nothing, just overhyping.
    Now you have said that the news will be. "SKY SPORTS WINS LIVE EXCLUSIVE F1 FROM 2018". To which I will cry my eyes out and shout "This wasn't supposed to happen now! NOOOOOOOO!" I would then have a breakdown and throw myself in front of my train set. God think of the injury there.

After rehab I would return to find:-

A) My wife has buggered of with my younger brother (Could happen! He's that kind of man you know)

B) She emptied the bank accounts (Even the one she doesn't know about!;) Shit shouldn't have said that) rendering my chances of buying a Sky Sports subscription totally stuffed.

As you can see I have a phobia of Pay TV. Having said that I have a phobia of paying for anything. :o

Sorry this post will go down as the weirdest most messed up thing you have ever read. See what happen when Ken doesn't have his medication.:rolleyes:

Ken
    This honestly just made me laugh Ken, at least I am not the only one on here that is a bit crazy. :D
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    Wouldn't call that massive
    This is what I think it is likely to be, since HD Onboards were mentioned last year.

Depends on who but even then, massive would surely be an understatement
    Who knows, we know Sky like to overhype themselves.

It'd have to be really really good for me to call it massive
    Could be, like the aforementioned HD onboards.
    Could be overhyping again.

That'd be something close to massive as we've never had live testing coverage before
    If it was this surely they would have announced it before the first day of testing. This would also be a massive cost to themselves as they would have to use their own equipment to film it.

Not sure I'd class that as massive
    Possible, but the team's wouldn't want too much filmed, they wouldn't want the things that are done behind closed doors to be broadcast to other teams.

New title sponsor coming on to replace Santander.
    Most definitely not massive, it's certainly nothing that fans would really give a monkey's about if we're honest
    Not massive, not likely to be the announcement either. It his barely news. Most people outside of this thread won't give a toss about who sponsors the coverage on SSF1.

gd49 wrote: »
    I agree - given the BBC's current atitiude to motorsport, and the fact they didn't even show GP2/GP3 when they did have the rights, I'd be amazed if they started showing some minor motorsport.
    It is not an attitude towards motorsport, but sport in general, they can't make Sport a priority as they have to provide for the public, not just the sports fans.

Pretty much all sports on the BBC are getting the same treatment, having the coverage cut on the BBC and shared with other broadcasters. Not ideal but it is better than them not being on FTA at all.
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,077
    Forum Member
    HD Onboards isn't something that I'd class as massive news to be honest. Nice, but not massive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HD Onboards isn't something that I'd class as massive news to be honest. Nice, but not massive.
    We are talking about a company that uses HD as a big selling point, and makes a point to say "Sky Sports F1 HD" every time they talk about themselves, when it would be simpler to just say Sky Sports F1.
  • LesterForbesLesterForbes Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the massive news could be......... F1 in 3D :eek: :eek: :eek: now that WOULD be massive!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the massive news could be......... F1 in 3D :eek: :eek: :eek: now that WOULD be massive!
    That would mean Bernie has spent money upgrading to technology before it has been around for 10 years :D

NOW THIS WOULD BE MASSIVE!
  • gillwgillw Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about something completely "left field"....like making SkySports F1HD available as part of the basic entertainment pack....

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillw wrote: »
    How about something completely "left field"....like making SkySports F1HD available as part of the basic entertainment pack....

And hell might freeze over :p
  • LesterForbesLesterForbes Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillw wrote: »

biggest laugh I've had all year!!
  • gillwgillw Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    biggest laugh I've had all year!!

Always happy to oblige :D:D:D
  • tiberian9tiberian9 Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    My punt is for a weekly F1 lifestyle program with Tamara Ecclestone visiting a different drivers 'crib' each week.
  • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eddie Jordan has signed for Sky.

That massive enough?
  • DuncanEmeryDuncanEmery Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    DanielF wrote: »

That massive enough?
    Source?
  • JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no, that would be depressing.
    Jp
  • dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DanielF wrote: »

That massive enough?

Wouldnt surprise me. Hope he doesnt, Suzi and EJ sounds too good to miss out on.
  • flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My verdict is sipmle please stop sky getting ther greasy hands on the Formula one coverage.
    and hey what right has the BBC (who we pay there wages) got to sell off the most important non football and tennis sport to a load of foreigners and cutthroats
  • mjrmjr Posts: 2,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My verdict is sipmle please stop sky getting ther greasy hands on the Formula one coverage.
    and hey what right has the BBC (who we pay there wages) got to sell off the most important non football and tennis sport to a load of foreigners and cutthroats

Would that be the same Sky in your services list on the left? Regardless the BBC vs Sky thing really has been done - see the links to the 2011 and 2012 threads in the first post.
This discussion has been closed.