Welcome to the World of Weight Loss - BBC2 - 9PM Wednesdays

PrincessEssexPrincessEssex Posts: 1,414
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is anyone watching this? What are your thoughts on it?

Thought the purpose was about weight but they seem to be focusing on this Penelopes money and her designer clothes for some reason.

Not sure if they are trying to prove or disprove slimming clubs. Bit of a confusing one for me.

Comments

• 5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I joined a club (Scottish Slimmers) through work in Feb, I've lost getting towards 5 stone so far and a target of total of 8 by the end of the year.

The club was only the first 6 weeks, it only works if you are really, really strict and don't cheat as you only cheat yourself, since the the club stopped I've been using myfitnesspal and that keeps me motivated. Listening to the woman listing her diet diary, no way is she going to lose weight over the long term, it's about changing your whole relationship with food.
  • PrincessEssexPrincessEssex Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I joined a club (Scottish Slimmers) through work in Feb, I've lost getting towards 5 stone so far and a target of total of 8 by the end of the year.

The club was only the first 6 weeks, it only works if you are really, really strict and don't cheat as you only cheat yourself, since the the club stopped I've been using myfitnesspal and that keeps me motivated. Listening to the woman listing her diet diary, no way is she going to lose weight over the long term, it's about changing your whole relationship with food.

WOW Well done you!! Very good. Good luck with the rest.

As for this documentary I am just not sure what it is trying to show or is that kind of the point - we make our own mind up.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am watching it. Currently doing Slimming World, used to do WW. Never done RC. When I was on WW I was like that woman that read out her food diary. Used my points to eat what I liked but justified it because it was on my allowance. Didn't matter that it wasn't balanced and healthy.

I am not going to preach that SW is the best as different people find different plans suit them, but I have had the most success on Slimming world and eat far healthier. My diet consists mainly of lean meats and fresh vegetables with some carbs - mainly potatoes and brown rice (which are both free on SW) as I am really not a pasta fan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite like this documentary, its allowing the women to put across their story (given its edited), without lots of drama, weeping in a fairly straightforward way.

Its also quite realistic about how people do diet.
  • DimsieDimsie Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the programme. I don't need to lose weight myself, but my sister-in-law is overweight and always saying she's going to diet but somehow she never actually does it. I've suggested trying a slimming club to her, but she seems very reluctant to go, says she might be the fattest one there which I think is nonsense, she's overweight but not obese. I think she'd go if she'd someone to go with, but none of her friends are overweight. She tries to diet, but just starves herself for a while and then binge eats and feels worse than ever. She lives alone and I suspect she lives mostly on takeaways, crisps and chocolate. :(
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was watching it too, not too bad for a first episode. Such a world way from the flashy plush adverts on TV. Interesting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member

As for this documentary I am just not sure what it is trying to show or is that kind of the point - we make our own mind up.

The World of Weight Loss.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was interesting to hear the stories of the dieters. The lady with the child with learning difficulties moved me to tears, and the one with body dismorphia was also a sad tale.

The nurses made me laugh, as did Sharon - "I'm in control, just not right now" (I mean laugh in a good way :))

It was a bit hard to know whether the interviewer was sympathetic, or taking the piss.

I wonder if it's the same people next week, or a new set.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it a series? I thought it was a one off.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »

I don't know - an earlier post said it was a first episode, so I went with that. :)
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It reminded me of why I don't do slimming clubs, I just can't abide the cliques and the death stares. If death stares from those who gained or maintained at those who had lost melted fat there would be no reason for scales. But it was an interesting introspective that made me grumble at the telly and realise that we're all human and have the same issues if we have any weight issues.

I did go, to SW and lost a stone, but I find that I was constantly directed to the supermarket and I don't use them, too much temptation and too expensive. I buy local but it's hard to find similar things. It's not my thing at all and caused me undue irritation with the complicated set up and I can't find the patience in WW with it's high salt, e numbered own brand food. I just do it myself now with dog walking, kettle bells and sensible food and it's stayed off. Rosemary Conley looked the better of them, at least it included exercise.
  • 5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thank you, it really is a lifestyle change, but the change is just so worth it, not being breathless walking up stairs, having more energy generally, moobs going back to pecks, having a waist instead of a belly.

Generally I don't see the results as much as other people, that is until I realise I can wear clothes I hadn't been able to get into for 10 years and having to buy new clothes because the old ones look ridiculous.
  • PrincessEssexPrincessEssex Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know - an earlier post said it was a first episode, so I went with that. :)

Oh possibly just a one off! I just caught it on an off chance.

To the sarcastic but correct comment of saying it was showing the world of weight loss. I am glad we cleared that up :rolleyes:
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    myss wrote: »
    I was watching it too, not too bad for a first episode. Such a world way from the flashy plush adverts on TV. Interesting.
    I thought it was interesting to hear the stories of the dieters. The lady with the child with learning difficulties moved me to tears, and the one with body dismorphia was also a sad tale.

The nurses made me laugh, as did Sharon - "I'm in control, just not right now" (I mean laugh in a good way :))

It was a bit hard to know whether the interviewer was sympathetic, or taking the piss.

I wonder if it's the same people next week, or a new set.
    Gogfumble wrote: »

It was a one-off. And very good it was too.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched this and it's nice that the interviewer remained impartial and just let the people in the programme tell their stories.

I was dissapointed with the lady who felt guilty about having scampi and chips during an 8 mile walk, since she had nothing to be guilty about. As long as your diet is healthy in general, having the odd treat is perfectly fine and even normal. It also stops you from having 'issues' with some food, all food should be enjoyed, you just need to eat more of the low calorie, low fat and no sugar stuff.