HTC Desire

TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
Forum Member
✭✭
Google e-mail account set up on the phone but not by me or any other member of the family

Surly these cant just appear on your phone..:confused:

Comments

• alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Did you put your Google username/password in when you set your phone up initially?
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't use the phone without a google account.
    Well, you can if you want no updates and never want to add any apps.
    GMail app is part of the standard ROM.
  • TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Did you put your Google username/password in when you set your phone up initially?

No. As I never use the internet on my phone as I have no need to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    You can't use the phone without a google account.
    Well, you can if you want no updates and never want to add any apps.
    GMail app is part of the standard ROM.

To be honest Im not one for using the Apps it's just a phone to me if that makes sense.

I understand that GMail is part of the standard ROM. but where did it get the adress from if Ive never set an account up.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    TheMask wrote: »
    No. As I never use the internet on my phone as I have no need to.

It's nothing to do with the Internet - when you get a new Android phone the initial setup asks for your e-mail address and password. You must have input it there and then Google will keep a record of it which is why Gmail know your e-mails address.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with the Internet - when you get a new Android phone the initial setup asks for your e-mail address and password. You must have input it there and then Google will keep a record of it which is why Gmail know your e-mails address.

I see what your saying but the e-mail address that was showning was not my adress never seen it before
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused: Can I get clarification on what you are saying please?

Is this a phone you have which has an existing email account on (i.e. that is not your gmail account)?

Do you want to use your account instead but it it is already showing a gmail account?
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosetech wrote: »

Is this a phone you have which has an existing email account on (i.e. that is not your gmail account)?

Do you want to use your account instead but it it is already showing a gmail account?

Also the other suspect is, is this a new phone or second-hand and if it is new can you be sure it was not a returned item to the place you brought it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rosetech wrote: »

no its not my GMail account ..I dont have one..it appeared on my phone about 3 weeks ago
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    Also the other suspect is, is this a new phone or second-hand and if it is new can you be sure it was not a returned item to the place you brought it.

I have had the phone over a year and the address has never been on there before..Yes it was a new phone
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it hard to conceive how you could not have a Gmail account. Have you ever used the maps or done any updates to the existing apps?
    If you forget your pin or unlock pattern, you can login with your Gmail account, so if you don't have an account then you will. R stuck if you forget the pin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it hard to conceive how you could not have a Gmail account. Have you ever used the maps or done any updates to the existing apps?
    If you forget your pin or unlock pattern, you can login with your Gmail account, so if you don't have an account then you will. R stuck if you forget the pin.

Sorry to disapoint but I dont have a GMail account. To answer your question Ive never used the maps or upgraded the apps
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From manage apps, what version of Google Play Store do you have? And what version of GMail?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From manage apps, what version of Google Play Store do you have? And what version of GMail?

Sorry but you have lost me..:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Home\menu\manage applications
    From there, you should see a list of apps. If you select Google Play Strore, at the top of the next screen it will say the version. What is yours (same for GMail).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Home\menu\manage applications
    From there, you should see a list of apps. If you select Google Play Strore, at the top of the next screen it will say the version. What is yours (same for GMail).

Im sorry but are you sure were talking about the same phone

None of my buttons bring that up..
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    You can remove the account if you don't like it.
    Looks like you're quite a novice. Go find settings from the app drawer... Or have we lost you already?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can remove the account if you don't like it.
    Looks like you're quite a novice. Go find settings from the app drawer... Or have we lost you already?

I have removed it but it would only go with a full reset..tried removing through settings but that was a no go.

the confusing thing is how it got there
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK HOME > MENU, and then tap Settings, then Applications.
    p196,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Google mail version 2.2
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    Google mail version 2.2
    Latest version I can see on my Nexus 4 is 4.2.2.

Try creating a new gmail account to replace the unknown one. Also, even a year ago this phone was getting on a bit. Are you sure it was brand new?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Latest version I can see on my Nexus 4 is 4.2.2.

Try creating a new gmail account to replace the unknown one. Also, even a year ago this phone was getting on a bit. Are you sure it was brand new?

Think there is a misunderstanding here. I dont want a GMail account Im just trying to find out how the one on my phone came about in the first place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google mail version 2.2
    The latest version for you is 2.3.6.
    So that means
    i) You added it at the beginning and just didn't remember
    ii) If you have teenagers, they added it but are keeping quiet
    iii) Something rogue happened but as you rarely connect to the internet, not sure how.

What was it that alerted you to the email account?
    What do you use the phone for? What apps do you use? That might give a clue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The latest version for you is 2.3.6.
    So that means
    i) You added it at the beginning and just didn't remember
    ii) If you have teenagers, they added it but are keeping quiet
    iii) Something rogue happened but as you rarely connect to the internet, not sure how.

What was it that alerted you to the email account?

1. Never had any sort of e-mail on my phone

2. children all grown up and left home.

3 I have never to this day used the internet on my phone.

I pressed google mail app by mistake and there it was

do you know I dont even know why i gotr this phone all I do is text and make phone calls..I dont even use the apps..the phone was recomended to me when I was due to upgrade
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have not connected up the phone to the internet, then there isn't a way for a rogue app to do anything (at least not without a lot of manual intervention).
    So that leaves the initial setup. When you first got the phone, there would have been a lot of screens to go through before it was configured for use. One of these is to setup a google account. I suspect that you did do this, but didn't realise that it also relates to gmail. Since you haven't connected to the internet, then you wouldn't get any communications, so the fact that you only noticed 3 weeks ago isn't conclusive, since there would have been no activity to suggest the account have been there all the time.
    Without being able to see the phone, not sure I can be of any more help on this one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has somebody else had access to your phone? It seems likely either you did it and forgot or someone else has done it.