0701 numbers

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is just on the off chance that it might be something dodgy.

I had a missed call on my mobile earlier this evening which was an 0701 number. When I rang it back it rang a few times and then I got a message saying please hold the line whilst we try to find your contact. I then got some hold music. I promptly hung up and the call lasted about 22 seconds. There was no company name on the introduction and I thought it sounded very iffy.

I was quite concerned that I wasn't expecting any business type calls and the number doesn't seem to resemble any companies I have had recent dealings with. I wondered if it was one of these ones where you are tricked into calling back and you hold on and get charged something crazy like £50 a minute for the call. Are 0701 numbers know for this? What is the best course of action if you have been caught out?

I would appreciate any advice anyone can give.

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    0701 numbers are the initial prefix of "find me anywhere" personal numbering services

I need to know the next 2 digits to identify exactly which telecoms company the number belongs to - not that it's really important

The fact that you were held waiting was that the call was probably trying various locations to obtain the person

Whilst these type of calls can be relatively expensive, rest assured it is nothing like £50 per minute
    The current maximum permitted call charge (using a BT landline - mobile/other networks may vary) is £1.50 per minute and that would be a premium rate number (Knowingly calling international numbers may be higher)
    A call to a "find me anywhere" number will be less than this :)

EDIT: Just identified the call charges for such a call using a BT residential landline
    Again to provide the exact cost I would need the next 2 digits of the number, but the maximum price would be 47.5p per minute (including VAT)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for replying Dawson.

The number is 0701 29*****
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be wouldn't it :(

That is a personal numbering service provided by a company called Band-X Limited and is charged at the maximum rate of 47.5p per minute (as corrected in my earlier post)
    Expect to pay more from a mobile

The BT costs are available from here (which details the tariff as pn2) and here (page 6 of pdf document)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that Dawson.

I may sound stupid for asking this but what does this find me anywhere service get used for? What type of people or companies would be using it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In simple terms it is one number that you can give to anyone, so they don't have to remember your home number, and your work number, and your mobile number, and your mother-in-law's number...etc

Depending on the service, the owner of the number is either able to divert all calls to the number where he is at the time, (e.g. home, work, on mobile, at mother in law's, etc), or alternatively, which it appears to be in your instance, it will try a sequence of numbers to connect you (e.g. it will first try work number, then home number, then mobile number, then mother in laws number...), possibly by ringing say 4 times on each number and then trying the next.
  • BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had an 07005 Personal Number from 1997 on-wards.

You could enter an initial greeting and also enable a caller identity request either on all calls or ones where the number is withheld, this just asks the caller to record their name, they then are asked to hold, whilst holding they will be able to hear my hold music and then the system will ring my home phone to see if I answer, if there is no answer within 30 seconds it then tries my mobile numbers, this sequence is called a hunt sequence. It must be noted that you are charged as soon as the call is picked up by the system.