New Sky HD EPG Single Feed Mode Doesn't Work.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    i have single feed mode set to ON, and I still have to set a dummy recording just like i did with the old EPG.

So i have 1 question, what the hell is the point of the single feed mode?

If i delete the dummy recording, then the box will not switch channel, and just doesn't start recording full stop. It doesn't even record input 2's no signal, nothing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    deanos63 wrote: »
    i have single feed mode set to ON, and I still have to set a dummy recording just like i did with the old EPG.

I have exactly the same and it is working. It's as if they've added single feed mode as an option and forgot that it should tell the box to behave differently.
  • russdprussdp Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    mondo75 wrote: »
    I have exactly the same and it is working. It's as if they've added single feed mode as an option and forgot that it should tell the box to behave differently.
    I think the one difference single feed mode does make, is that the full 7 days worth of EPG data is maintained and downloaded properly. Before I switched single feed mode on the EPG data was few and far between - a complete nightmare.

That said - the glaring omission on Sky's behalf - is that hey have marketed it as being able to record things with a single feed, when they clearly haven't made provisions for this.

If Sky can't be bothered to sort this out after this many years then I wish they give us the option to have the "Sky+" features switched off and waive/discount the monthly charges.
    Forum Member
    I e-mailed this to Sky...

"I have one feed and have been using a dummy recording every day to ensure other recordings don't fail. I received the new EPG today and enabled one feed mode using your instructions. However, the box is still behaving as if it has two feeds. If you are watching TV, or leave the box on, and a recording is due to start on a different channel, it stays on the channel and you find later that the recording failed without a warning that it was due to record and a clash would happen.

Even with single feed enabled, the clash message only appears if you set to record two things for the same time, then try to set a third for that time, ie, like it has two feeds. Using standby doesn't always work either, as when two things are set to record back-to-back, it records the first one, but the second one fails, I assume because it's trying to use input 2. Can you advise when improvements will be made to the EPG so that single feed mode will work as it should? I look forward to your reply."

Long-winded but clear, I think. Here's their reply...

"Thank you for contacting Sky Help Centre regarding Sky+ recording problem.

I am happy to confirm that Sky has developed a twin recording facility for Sky+.

Please follow the procedures below for recording and using your dual recording function:

1. Go into your TV Guide, available from your Sky+ system. Select the programme you wish to view, if it a series of programmes and you do not want to miss one use the green button to activate the series link.

2. To record the programme, press the small red “R” button on the left hand side of your remote control unit and this will enable the recording feature.

3. To dual record you would do Steps 1 & 2 twice, then make sure that you are on one of the channels that is going to be recorded, if you are not your dual record function will not work.

4. If you are recording two programmes at night when you turn off your system, make sure your Sky+ box is on one of the channels that will be recorded or again your dual recording feature will not work.

If your equipment is not able to dual record, your Sky+ system will need to be updated at this time. Please contact our Sky+ Technical Team on 08442 410 800, where one of our advisors would be happy to assist you.

I trust this information is of assistance to you. Should you require further assistance, please contact me at the email address above or call our Customer Service team on 08442 41 41 41 where one of our advisors will be able to assist.

Thanks Anju"

So they've missed the entire point of my e-mail. And they talk about the green button for series link, clearly missing the fact I'm talking about the new EPG, which has an easier method of setting up series link.

Maybe if more of us contact Sky about this, they may get a clue at some point. For the time being, a dummy recording is the way to go. I can confirm I have single feed on and have had a dummy recording set to repeat daily and it has worked for the past two days and all recordings have been successful. So at least the workaround is still viable...for now, at least.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They didn't read your email - a bot simply keyword stripped it and replied with the most likely response from a series of canned answers.

Unfortunately a lot of larger companies do this.. it cuts down on the amount of work support have to do, but leads to frustrated customers (my favorite is TomTom who have an entire sequence of scripted emails you have to go through to get support.. I started sending them nursery rhymes and other random stuff to get through it :p).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    I e-mailed this to Sky...

Maybe if more of us contact Sky about this, they may get a clue at some point. For the time being, a dummy recording is the way to go. I can confirm I have single feed on and have had a dummy recording set to repeat daily and it has worked for the past two days and all recordings have been successful. So at least the workaround is still viable...for now, at least.

could you clarify one thing for me

i also have a single feed for my sky hd and i also use the dummy recording trick. but i set it manually every day to start from 9am to 8.59am the following day.

can you actually set it for more than one day at a time and how would you do that ?

cheers
    Forum Member
    could you clarify one thing for me

i also have a single feed for my sky hd and i also use the dummy recording trick. but i set it manually every day to start from 9am to 8.59am the following day.

can you actually set it for more than one day at a time and how would you do that ?

cheers

Hiya

One of the options when setting up a manual recording is frequency. Just set that to daily and your box should keep adding a 9am - 8:59am (or whatever time you prefer) recording each day, working similarly to a series link. I hope that helps. Cheers.
    Forum Member
    Hiya

One of the options when setting up a manual recording is frequency. Just set that to daily and your box should keep adding a 9am - 8:59am (or whatever time you prefer) recording each day, working similarly to a series link. I hope that helps. Cheers.

but if i did that and box was on standby wouldn't the dummy recording actually record ?
    Forum Member
    but if i did that and box was on standby wouldn't the dummy recording actually record ?

Sadly, the dummy recordings will always be a flawed compromise, so, yes, that can happen. There is one way to avoid that, which is by having a recording taking place during the split between dummy recordings.

Right now, for example, I have mine set up to start at 1:10pm each day, ending at 1:09pm the next, then repeating, because I have series linked The Office at 1pm every day on Comedy Central.

This then allows me to leave the box on standby secure the dummy recording won't take over.

Another option would be to set it up from, say, 5am to 4:59am daily, then also set up a manual recording from, say, 4:57am-5:02am daily, to ensure the dummy recording never actually records with the box on standby. You'll end up with four minutes recorded of whatever channel you set in your manual recording, but it's easy enough to delete along with the failed dummy recordings each day.

I hope that makes sense. Until Sky get the single feed mode sorted, having one feed will always involve some form of faff and inconvenience.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    russdp wrote: »
    I think the one difference single feed mode does make, is that the full 7 days worth of EPG data is maintained and downloaded properly. Before I switched single feed mode on the EPG data was few and far between - a complete nightmare.

This is incorrect. I have single feed mode on and my EPG updates are pretty scarce. You have to put the box in standby else you don't get any updates. What's worse is if the info is not in epg the system does not go and get them when you advance through the epg.

Chris
    Forum Member
    Sadly, the dummy recordings will always be a flawed compromise, so, yes, that can happen. There is one way to avoid that, which is by having a recording taking place during the split between dummy recordings.

Right now, for example, I have mine set up to start at 1:10pm each day, ending at 1:09pm the next, then repeating, because I have series linked The Office at 1pm every day on Comedy Central.

This then allows me to leave the box on standby secure the dummy recording won't take over.

Another option would be to set it up from, say, 5am to 4:59am daily, then also set up a manual recording from, say, 4:57am-5:02am daily, to ensure the dummy recording never actually records with the box on standby. You'll end up with four minutes recorded of whatever channel you set in your manual recording, but it's easy enough to delete along with the failed dummy recordings each day.

I hope that makes sense. Until Sky get the single feed mode sorted, having one feed will always involve some form of faff and inconvenience.

cheers for the info when i'm around i don't mind having to set the manual recording but sometimes i forget.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Instead of opening yet another thread, I thought I'd ask my fellow single-feeders.

I have received my pack through the mail today and was surprised to see an extra, single sheet "Important information for customers living in flats", giving single-feed information and also mentioning "Once rebooted, Sky Anytime will be unavailable. It can be switched back on, but this may result in a reduced amount of TV listing being displayed in the Guide".

Has this leaflet been sent out with all packs? Or is that something new - that sheet looks like a bit of afterthought to me?
    Forum Member
    Quark wrote: »
    Instead of opening yet another thread, I thought I'd ask my fellow single-feeders.

I have received my pack through the mail today and was surprised to see an extra, single sheet "Important information for customers living in flats", giving single-feed information and also mentioning "Once rebooted, Sky Anytime will be unavailable. It can be switched back on, but this may result in a reduced amount of TV listing being displayed in the Guide".

Has this leaflet been sent out with all packs? Or is that something new - that sheet looks like a bit of afterthought to me?

I got one - I think it is sent to all customers known to use a communal system in flats. It's definitely not sent to everyone!

Chris
    Forum Member
    Quark wrote: »

I never got anything like that when mine arrived.
    Forum Member
    desserts wrote: »
    This is incorrect. I have single feed mode on and my EPG updates are pretty scarce. You have to put the box in standby else you don't get any updates. What's worse is if the info is not in epg the system does not go and get them when you advance through the epg.

Chris

No Chris its not incorrect, after all, I'd know, its my Sky HD box and TV, unless you've been breaking into my home to check periodically. :D

To clarify for other readers of this thread:

Chris please don't take offense at this but, the EPG is downloaded and maintained if the box is in standby for at least a few minutes everyday. Your situation seems to be unique in that you refuse to put your box into standby at any point. The only people I can see who would never switch their boxes off are those boxes that are supplying hotels etc - and they wouldn't need to access the EPG anyway.

I can see why you're annoyed that the box does not dynamically pull the EPG down - this would involve Sky having to develop a setting to switch mini-TV off completely whilst in the EPG. Something I'm sorry to say, they will most probably never ever do, as I doubt there is anyone else that has their box switched on 24/7 365.
    Forum Member
    i'm finding the signal feed option workable

i'm still using the dummy option and its working so i'm happy

i set a recording as well as the dummy one and left it on sky news it told me the program was starting and turned to the channel to record. It would be ideal if the dummy recording wasn't needed but i'm happy as it is.
    Forum Member
    No Chris its not incorrect, after all, I'd know, its my Sky HD box and TV, unless you've been breaking into my home to check periodically. :D

You stated that with single feed mode on one is guaranteed a complete 7 day EPG service. If you turn single feed mode on, and leave your box switched on - not in standby - 24 hours a day you will not get a complete 7 day EPG service.

Therefore your statement about one benefit of single feed mode is incorrect.

** single feed mode on AND box never in standby = incomplete EPG **

Chris
    Forum Member
    You stated that with single feed mode on one is guaranteed a complete 7 day EPG service. If you turn single feed mode on, and leave your box switched on - not in standby - 24 hours a day you will not get a complete 7 day EPG service.

Therefore your statement about one benefit of single feed mode is incorrect.

** single feed mode on AND box never in standby = incomplete EPG **

Chris

Thats exactly what I've written in my post...
    But here's another equation for you:

** single feed mode on AND box never in standby = only Chris **

But joking apart, my post was aimed at regular single feed users, everyone that does switch their box off for a few minutes, i.e. everyone but you.

Here is my original post:
    russdp wrote:
    Note, it doesn't mention leaving my box on 24/7 365 (nor does anyone else's post in this thread apart from yours). If you don't switch single feed mode on, the listings are sporadic at best.

Therefore my statement about one benefit of single feed mode is *correct*.
    Forum Member
    Thats exactly what I've written in my post...
    But here's another equation for you:

** single feed mode on AND box never in standby = only Chris **

Your talking bobbins.

OLD EPG and box always on = 7 days of listings.
    New EPG in single feed mode and box always on = 12 hours of listings.

Single feed mode does not guarantee I get 7 days of listings. I used to get 7 days of listings on the old EPG. Therefore new EPG in single feed mode does not ensure (I quote) that the full 7 days worth of EPG data is maintained and downloaded properly

There are plenty of good reasons for leaving my box on all the time - 1 for my dummy recording technique to work. 2 maybe one wishes to log on remotely to watch it, using a PC or play-TV on a ps3. 3 maybe I wish to record something using a different device than Sky+. Or maybe someone else just left it on, or I was watching it overnight when auto standby would have kicked in.

Chris
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    ok just read through this thread and im still confused.

Is it possible to set it up exactly how it was on the old guide. ie dummy recording so get clash notice and be able to switch it to standby without it recording the dummy.

Can i just turn single feed mode off then setup a dummy recording to do that?

I have anytime switched off so not bothered about that.
    Forum Member
    nawo69 wrote: »
    ok just read through this thread and im still confused.

Is it possible to set it up exactly how it was on the old guide. ie dummy recording so get clash notice and be able to switch it to standby without it recording the dummy.

Can i just turn single feed mode off then setup a dummy recording to do that?

I have anytime switched off so not bothered about that.

I recommend single feed mode on and use dummys. You will have to experiment to find what works.

Chris
    Forum Member
    I recommend single feed mode on and use dummys. You will have to experiment to find what works.

Chris

I did that this morning put the box in standby and when i got in the dummy was recording.

What is the benefit of single feed mode?
  • Jodie98Jodie98 Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    I only have a single feed but have left my SPS1 Priority Switch connected and so far it seems to be working just fine.

Got the new EPG somewhere between 7.30am and 8am this morning, only had one item in Anytime this morning and this afternoon find that another show has been added.

Now I was under the impression that the SPS1 Switch didn't work with the new EPG but this proves it does, AND I'm also getting Anytime updates as well.

So, so far so good!! Not sure how long it will last working seamlessly but I will enjoy it while it does.
    Forum Member
    nawo69 wrote: »
    I did that this morning put the box in standby and when i got in the dummy was recording.

What is the benefit of single feed mode?

I titled this thread 'single feed mode doesn't work' for a reason!!!

Chris
    Forum Member
    I titled this thread 'single feed mode doesn't work' for a reason!!!

Chris

Yip fair enough but why are you using suggesting I turn on single feed mode then?

So far since I switched single feed mode off and set-up a dummy recording my box is behaving how it was with the old guide with the added benefit of having the full 7 day listings (had only 2 days worth when i switched if off last night).

I have set-up a few recordings this afternoon while I'm at work so will see how they go.