DVD Rental by Post

NEWLINEtvNEWLINEtv Posts: 5,420
Forum Member
Hi, I was just wondering, are there any DS members still renting DVDs by post from lovefilm?, if so, is there service any good these days?, has it improved off 2 years ago, when I was a customer of lovefilm some DVDs arrived cracked, snapped or scratched beyond use, maybe it was just bad luck for me?

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,272
    Forum Member
    NEWLINEtv wrote: »
    Hi, I was just wondering, are there any DS members still renting DVDs by post from lovefilm?, if so, is there service any good these days?, has it improved off 2 years ago, when I was a customer of lovefilm some DVDs arrived cracked, snapped or scratched beyond use, maybe it was just bad luck for me?

I had a free trial years back, out of the ten free films, one never arrived, one they claimed never got back to them, and one had the totally wrong film in the DVD box.

I thought 30% failure rate, in an area with an EXTREMELY good postal service was pretty pathetic :D

But apart from that, my major concern was not having enough time to watch the films.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    I have been back using Lovefilm for the best part of a year and have had no problems whatsoever.
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to use blockbuster and they were quite fast but every now and then a dvd would be dispatched and returned without me ever seeing it.
    Forum Member
    Hopefully there'll be more than just mine, in terms of relevant responses to the OP's question.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it works well for me,1 day to return,next day allocated,day after recieved
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    it works well for me,1 day to return,next day allocated,day after recieved

Same with me, for the most part. If I return one on Monday, I'll have a new one on Wednesday. I have probably close to 50 items on my list, and I I receive the newly released Blu Rays often. Nothing but good things to say about their service.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,474
    Forum Member
    Just had one disc that LF say they did not get back. But no problem with them accepting that I had posted it back. *But* the main problem is the state of some of the discs after they have been mis-handled by other users. Using a Brillo-pad to clean them is *not* a good idea guys! :eek:
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if the disc is damaged you can report it and get a free extra disc , I always did .
    Forum Member
    Indeed. But that adds to the delay and spoils the enjoyment of watching a film unhampered all the way through.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    Been using for about a year, watching at least 2 a week. Always a speedy service apart from once, the dvds were 2 days later than expected. They credited me with £5 without even me complaining.

My priority films are always sent too.
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to always wipe down the discs before putting them in my dvd player.

If anything I was doing the rental company a huge favour as the discs would always go back to them in prestine condition.
  • MooWow!MooWow! Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    i used to use easycinema who use lovefilm for all there movies without a single problem :)
    Forum Member
    Fowl Fax wrote: »
    If anything I was doing the rental company a huge favour as the discs would always go back to them in prestine condition.
    Depends what you use to wipe them with and how you wipe them.
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have a free monthly trial with Lovefilm, you have to watch them like a hawk. They have some rather sharp practices. At the start of the 4th week, remove everything you have left in your list that they've not dispatched, and send back any discs you have pronto. Come the start of the final week of your trial, any films you have left in your list that are still to be sent won't be dispatched until the last day of your trial. You then have their discs in the first month of the chargeable period and they'll debit you for a full month even if you've cancelled the service.
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Used Lovefilm for going on 5/6 years and not had single problem, so i can't fault them.
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Never had a problem with them when it comes to discs being shipped/returned.

They're more than a bit thick when you e-mail them though. Person the other day said they have no record of 'Skyfall' when I asked about it being unavailable to rent.
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    Never had a problem with them when it comes to discs being shipped/returned.

They're more than a bit thick when you e-mail them though. Person the other day said they have no record of 'Skyfall' when I asked about it being unavailable to rent.

So, you can't rent Skyfall from LoveFilm? Cracking business model, Gromit. I take it LoveFilm still doesn't stock Universal titles either?

With Blockbuster having gone to the wall after putting all the small town independents out of business over the last 10 years, I guess it's all aboard the Pirate ship.
  • jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave up on love film when they continued to send blu ray disks way down my list instead of things in my top 5 or 10 plus they would not have a large number of blu ray releases at all, so I changed to blockbuster and things have been on the whole much better, a prioritise list in numbers rather then a simple colour coded most wanted, quick turn around and only 1 disk broken in around 40, I do have a long standing joke with them and this is regarding the disk that was broken, it was 300 on blu ray, I returned it as broken, this was Acknowledged, But they failed to ever send me a new disc, It's been 2 1/2 years now since that that disc and I have always had it top of my priority list, I emailed them about it but they just apologised and gave me an extra disc rental last month, I've found that the best way to get a release you really want that month is to wipe your whole list clean and only have that disc you want remaining when you return your disks so they will send it next instead if Substituting it for another down the list, Unless of course it's 300 as I seem to have broke the only disc available in blockbuster history :D
    Forum Member
    I tend to put one or two titles as high priority and the rest at normal priority and alway get the high priority title.
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped renting via post a few months back but never had any problems when I did.
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Theo_Bear wrote: »
    So, you can't rent Skyfall from LoveFilm? Cracking business model, Gromit. I take it LoveFilm still doesn't stock Universal titles either?

With Blockbuster having gone to the wall after putting all the small town independents out of business over the last 10 years, I guess it's all aboard the Pirate ship.

Universal films are available, but a month or 2 after release. A few others studios are like that as well.

Skyfall doesn't have a release date on the site, and neither does Taken 2, which is already out to buy.
  • Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Blockbuster, for games and films, £9.99 a month unlimited rentals, 2 discs a time........and they are quick and have plenty of choice.......... never had an problem

Not sure if they are taking on new accounts, but upto today, they are "allocating stock" so a phone call in the morning to find out what is going on......try get my account re-credited.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thumbs up for lovefilm, super service and very well priced. I only rent blu rays and the big bonus is you can see many of the new releases without buying them. So few films these days are worthy of rewatching so its a easy and cheap way of watching many films without having a big outlay and then the hassle of selling the movie on ebay.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I get the occasional disc that is unplayable but replacements are swiftly sent.

More annoying when you get halfway through the movie before it jams up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been with Lovefilm for about 6 months now. Discs usually arrive 2 days after you return one. No complaints, excellent service.