Unbelievable 3DS problem - help!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
Hi all. It's the young uns birthday today, so we bought her a 3DS. She's pokemon mad, so naturally we got her that to go with her brand new 3DS that we bought about six weeks ago. Of course it's been unopened until today for the big day.

But not ten minutes, TEN MINUTES, into play, the screens switched off. Poof, just like that without warning. The battery is fully charged.

And now the system will seemingly not switch on, though it looks like there's power as the blue light is on. All there is is two blank screens. What. The. F***?

A Google around reveals this to be a very common problem with this device. Does anyone know of a solution that doesn't involve me sending it back to either Game or Nintendo, and can offer a way to salvage this birthday?

Thanks guys.

Comments

• brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could take it back to Game and try to demand a new one, but since it's outside of their return period (around 1 month), they will probably tell you to just send it off to Nintendo under your warranty.

You could also call Nintendo's customer service team on 0845 60 50 247 - not sure if they work weekends though. Their site doesn't have opening hours..
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,418
    Forum Member
    Has it just locked up? Mine does that sometimes in sleep mode. If you hold the power button for ten seconds it will force it to switch off and then you can try turning it back on.
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kal_El wrote: »
    Hi all. It's the young uns birthday today, so we bought her a 3DS. She's pokemon mad, so naturally we got her that to go with her brand new 3DS that we bought about six weeks ago. Of course it's been unopened until today for the big day.

But not ten minutes, TEN MINUTES, into play, the screens switched off. Poof, just like that without warning. The battery is fully charged.

And now the system will seemingly not switch on, though it looks like there's power as the blue light is on. All there is is two blank screens. What. The. F***?

A Google around reveals this to be a very common problem with this device. Does anyone know of a solution that doesn't involve me sending it back to either Game or Nintendo, and can offer a way to salvage this birthday?

Thanks guys.

I'd try going to Game and kicking off big time to see if they will do it as a good will gesture.

Especially for the sake of the little un!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Lol @ jokerz! That was the plan! :D

Thanks all for your excellent replies. I had tried the old turning it off and on again using the method mentioned, but it didn't work.

Or did it? After an hours tears (mine, not hers), I just left the thing powered off. Then I said to the missus "you know, I bet I'll just pick that up at some point, press the power button and it'll come on". And guess what? That's exactly what happened next. I just clicked the button and it came on.

I checked the settings and did discover a large system update, which I did. It's still working so I'm hoping that it's fine now. Daughter happily playing Pokémon, so all is well. :)
  • darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    If it doesn't work, take it to GAME with your receipt and they will change it if it's broken.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just take it back with your receipt, they will just change it

whoever said its outside the return period is incorrect, it has a 12 month gtee

what model was it btw?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just take it back with your receipt, they will just change it

whoever said its outside the return period is incorrect, it has a 12 month gtee

what model was it btw?

Guarantee is NOT a return period. A return period is a period where you are able to return an item for a full refund/exchange - this is 28 days at Game. A Guarantee means that IF the item breaks within a set time frame (usually 12 months for electronics), as long as it is not broken due to neglect, Nintendo is obliged to repair it, and if that is not possible, issue a replacement.

Game themselves say:

3. Applications for repairs of equipment will only be considered where the work on the equipment is not covered by any supplier's, manufacturer's or repairer's guarantee.

The 3DS bought is outside of the 28 days, and is under Nintendo's guarantee. Game won't replace it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    Guarantee is NOT a return period. A return period is a period where you are able to return an item for a full refund/exchange - this is 28 days at Game. A Guarantee means that IF the item breaks within a set time frame (usually 12 months for electronics), as long as it is not broken due to neglect, Nintendo is obliged to repair it, and if that is not possible, issue a replacement.

Game themselves say:

3. Applications for repairs of equipment will only be considered where the work on the equipment is not covered by any supplier's, manufacturer's or repairer's guarantee.

The 3DS bought is outside of the 28 days, and is under Nintendo's guarantee. Game won't replace it.

op should have bought it from ASDA being honest.

i wouldnt buy a thing from Game, they are crap

regards the return, i would stand there until they changed it...

and i would make sure i got it
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kal_El wrote: »

Thanks guys.

u might have had the 3DS for six weeks (longer then the 28 days return period) but u didnt open the box til the kids birthday ... get it returned 2 game & demand a replacement or refund asap. :)

if i bought a ps4 on nov29th ... opened it @ xmas, realised it was bust & was told i wasnt eligible for a replacement / refund because id had it longer then 28 dayz they'd be hell 2 pay! :mad:

id have used Asda like G sez ... ive returned stuff months & months after ive bought it & never ever had a problem!!! ... asda are class imo! ;)
    Forum Member
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    u might have had the 3DS for six weeks (longer then the 28 days return period) but u didnt open the box til the kids birthday ... get it returned 2 game & demand a replacement or refund asap. :)

if i bought a ps4 on nov29th ... opened it @ xmas realised it was bust & was told i wasnt eligible for a replacement / refund because id had it longer then 28 dayz they'd be hell 2 pay! :mad:

id get my stuff from Asda like G sez ... ive returned stuff months & months after ive bought it & never ever had a problem!!! ... asda are class imo! ;)

I tend to agree with you. Lots of people buy things in advance of events, especially when there's an offer on. Like I say above, it seems to be working fine now. But I can guarantee that if it wasn't we'd be in that shop kicking up merry shit about it! Will check out Asda next time for sure. :)

It's a Mettalic Red original 3DS by the way. Gdjman asked above.
    Forum Member

Game themselves say:

I worked for GAME, and hardware issues are covered for 12 months. If the OP takes a receipt, they test it, and see a fault it will be replaced.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I worked for GAME, and hardware issues are covered for 12 months. If the OP takes a receipt, they test it, and see a fault it will be replaced.

All electronics are manufacturer covered for 12 months. Ie, Nintendo's job to fix it. I'm sure Game do make some exceptions to that, however, Game's website explicitly says:

Forum Member
    Game's website explicitly says:

I know what it says, I'm just saying if they see a fault it will be replaced providing the OP has a receipt. Besides, that says repairs they will just give him a new one and send the old one off for a repair and claim the money back.

EDIT: Just for future reference GAME online, and the stores are in noway connected with one another. They are almost like a different company.
    Forum Member
    Ignore this post. I'm currently somewhere that the internet service is truly truly dreadful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i just bought a cosmos black original 3ds today from ASDA

i was tempted by the 2ds but feel its a bit ..... sad

and the 3ds xl without a charger is just overpriced when you can get a Vita for £150

original is the best
  • BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Game refuse to change the unit (I doubt that they will) you can get in touch with Intendo directly, and they'll repair/exchange the unit for you without any cost.

It'll go all the way to Germany, but their turn around times are pretty darned quick!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i just bought a cosmos black original 3ds today from ASDA

i was tempted by the 2ds but feel its a bit ..... sad

and the 3ds xl without a charger is just overpriced when you can get a Vita for £150

original is the best

Charger is only like 4.50! Personally, I think the normal 3DS is over priced. Bigger screen FTW!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charger is only like 4.50! Personally, I think the normal 3DS is over priced. Bigger screen FTW!

why they didnt include one is ridiculous

i think they are £6.99 on Amazon
  • WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/b]

why they didnt include one is ridiculous

i think they are £6.99 on Amazon

I know. I recall the original thinking was that the first tranche of 3DS XL buyers would be predominantly owners of the original 3DS, so they already had a charger. This time has surely passed now.

Honestly though, my wife bought a USB -> 3DS power lead for peanuts when I gave her my old 3DS and can use any old 5V charger.