How to use a sound bar!

2»

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,437
    Forum Member
    Sony not got one then ??

Not as I've noticed (I'll have to go and look!), and I've not seen any others that have - the most recent been a Philips one last Saturday (where we changed the wall mounted TV from a 52 inch to a 55 inch).

Presumably then they have started adding them for the ARC facility? - because there's no use for HDMI on it otherwise :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    Not as I've noticed (I'll have to go and look!), and I've not seen any others that have - the most recent been a Philips one last Saturday (where we changed the wall mounted TV from a 52 inch to a 55 inch).

Presumably then they have started adding them for the ARC facility? - because there's no use for HDMI on it otherwise :D

think its brilliant , just make a lot of kit obsolete !!

whens Sky going to upgrade their HDMI ports ?:confused:
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would a soundbar have an HDMI socket on it?.

They generally have optical in, and two phono's in.

My Yamaha soundbar has 2 HDMI in plus HDMI out as well as 2 optical and coaxial in. You treat it just as you would an amp with separate speakers.

I use CEC to control the volume of the soundbar via the HDMI out.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,437
    Forum Member
    whens Sky going to upgrade their HDMI ports ?:confused:

And Freesat, and Freeview - pretty well most items don't support CEC.

I wonder of you have to pay a licensing fee to Sony/Panasonic to use it?.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Why would a soundbar have an HDMI socket on it?.

They generally have optical in, and two phono's in.
    My Panasonic sound-bar has HDMI in & out, and it links directly to the Panasonic TV's audio controls. If the sound bar is switched off audio is routed through the TV speakers and when adjusting the volume the on-screen volume display label shows 'TV Volume'. Switch the SB on and the label changes to 'Home Cinema Volume'. The SB also toggles the LED on it from green to orange for TV / DVD viewing.

In answer to the OP though, the TV remote control adjusts the SB volume as the signal for it is sent from the TV. This is for Panasonic kit though linked through HDMI-CEC, which Panny refer to as Viera Link..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Hi i have just bought a Konig Sound bar but it will not play through my Samsung TV, no sound at all.
    I have tried connecting to my Sky box and it producers sound, however there is a delay on the sound and there fore it is out of sync with my TV.
    there are no other connectors other than the red/white pin sockets on the bar, i have also tried adjusting the sound delay on my TV settings and Sky box but it is still out of sync.
    Help please!?
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,610
    Forum Member
    What sound outputs does the TV have?
    Forum Member
    it as component audio L and R and AV audio L and R (both red and white pin sockets)
    also a digital optical socket but there is nothing to connect this to to the sound bar.
    Forum Member
    The audio sockets associated with the Component sockets will be input, not output and I suspect what you call AV is actually the Composite input. Perhaps it would be safer if you told us the model number of the TV.

TBH I wonder why you went for a Soundbar that did not have an optical audio input?
    Forum Member
    Model number LE40C750R2K.
    I am just baffled as to why sound comes out when connected to the sky box but not the TV.
    I have also tried my TV upstairs... nothing.
    Thanks
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    The audio sockets associated with the Component sockets will be input, not output and I suspect what you call AV is actually the Composite input. Perhaps it would be safer if you told us the model number of the TV.

TBH I wonder why you went for a Soundbar that did not have an optical audio input?

Ha so do i now, it was cheap and the reviews indicated no issues....
    Forum Member
    The specs confirmy my suspicion. However all is not lost. You should be able to audio out from the (second) SCART socket using a suitable converter lead or adaptor commonly available from the likes of Maplin. For example

http://www.maplin.co.uk/scart-to-phono--svhsadapter-13372
    Forum Member
    ha thanks, by coincidence i have just ordered one of these for another reason so i will try it first!!
    Thanks
  • Anne RobinsonAnne Robinson Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Soundbars are my favorite type of home cinema speaker system due to their low profile design types in comparsion to lots of seperate little speakers! :cool: