Peter Sellers - nasty piece of work

cleo petracleo petra Posts: 984
Forum Member
✭✭
Not relevant to any current news but have been reading some articles about Peter Sellers today and am horrified at his treatment of his children and his last wife's actions.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1525601/Michael-Sellers.html

He married Lynne Frederick in 1977 but they were estranged at the time of his death and there was evidence he was changing his will in favour of his third child Victoria on the day of his fatal heart attack

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/7892368/Peter-Sellers-changed-his-will-on-the-day-he-died-legal-papers-show.html

but because the paperwork wasn't filed and he and Lynne Frederick were still legally married she inherited £16 million in today's money from his estate and the 3 children got £3000 (in today's money) each. Spike Milligan asked her to think of his children and to do the decent thing but she wouldn't. She died in 1994 and the money has gone to her daughter from her second marriage Cassie Ungar. How unfair.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I've read some books about him. Not pleasant stuff. PS was a very talented but deeply flawed human being.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    He was horrid, he never even hid the fact, and nobody ever covered this up. His daughters also been quite vocal about him

...hats off to him tho for shagging the Queens sister
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    cleo petra wrote: »

He married Lynne Frederick in 1977 but they were estranged at the time of his death and there was evidence he was changing his will in favour of his third child Victoria on the day of his fatal heart attack

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/7892368/Peter-Sellers-changed-his-will-on-the-day-he-died-legal-papers-show.html

but because the paperwork wasn't filed and he and Lynne Frederick were still legally married she inherited £16 million in today's money from his estate and the 3 children got £3000 (in today's money) each. Spike Milligan asked her to think of his children and to do the decent thing but she wouldn't. She died in 1994 and the money has gone to her daughter from her second marriage Cassie Ungar. How unfair.

Surely that shows that Lynne Frederick was an even nastier piece of work?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's crazy that his fortune and the rights to his films belong to a woman who was born after he died, and who he wasn't related to.

Knowing that his biological children are still alive, you'd think she'd have a twinge of conscience about it...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ria Vega wrote: »
    Surely that shows that Lynne Frederick was an even nastier piece of work?

He shouldn't have left it to the last minute to try and correct his will. She kept what was legally hers.

He was a nasty piece of work because he was an appalling excuse for a father, we don't have any evidence of how she was as a mother - but she did leave everything to her child!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cleo petra wrote: »
    Not relevant to any current news but have been reading some articles about Peter Sellers today and am horrified at his treatment of his children and his last wife's actions.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1525601/Michael-Sellers.html

Perhaps you should read more objective reports about Peter Sellers, rather than simply accept one side of the story.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    He shouldn't have left it to the last minute to try and correct his will. She kept what was legally hers.

Oh, so he should've known he was going to die of a heartattack and change it before he died?!

Legally, it might've been hers, but morally, it wasn't.

As I said, she's a mercenary nasty piece of work too
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ria Vega wrote: »
    Oh, so he should've known he was going to die of a heartattack and change it before he died?!

Legally, it might've been hers, but morally, it wasn't.

As I said, she's a mercenary nasty piece of work too

He was the one who made the original will to leave it all to her in the first place.

He was the one who ensured his children were left with nothing.

Although I would like to think that if I were in her position I would give a larger portion to the children.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DariaM wrote: »
    Perhaps you should read more objective reports about Peter Sellers, rather than simply accept one side of the story.

It won't get in the way of moral outrage over people they don't know.

I comment on many matters but refuse to take sides in public family will disputes because we just do not KNOW who deserved what and why. The papers have their slant but who is anyone to decide who is worthy or not in the eyes of the giver?

It's just something that should be a private matter imo.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For all he was a talented actor, he was extremely arrogant and always demanding to be chauffeur driven in a Rolls Royce. Sellers was also very greedy and obsessed with money.
  • gregsanisongregsanison Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was horrid and not funny at all!
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,193
    Forum Member
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    It's crazy that his fortune and the rights to his films belong to a woman who was born after he died, and who he wasn't related to.

Knowing that his biological children are still alive, you'd think she'd have a twinge of conscience about it...

Sellars son Michael died of a heart attack in July 2006, 26 years to the day after his father he was 52.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Fits the stereotype of "laughing clown" comedian to a tee.

Troubled soul with a mercurial talent, but immensely difficult to live with.
  • StockingfillerStockingfiller Posts: 3,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant and brilliantly funny but an insecure egotist. His children were treated appallingly I think. When acting with Sophia Loren he apparently used to go home and tell his then wife how much he loved Sophia -who apparently had nothing to do with him except onscreen.He's a good example of a man who cared predominantly only about his own self esteem.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Interesting that he spent his life as a mimic and putting on accents, perhaps trying to hide the fact that were wasn't much of a person behind the constant facade.
  • fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my favourite comic actors, but a mad as a box of frogs. My favourite story of his madness is either not allowing his daughter Victoria to see him until she changed her dress (he thought the colour unlucky) or when staying at a very nice hotel in Europe, ringing them when an hour away from getting there to run a bath. When told they had mixer taps to get it to the right temperature, he flipped and said the bath had to hot and then left to cool!
    He relied on dodgy palm readers and other such loons, he was dominated by a very strong wiled mother.
    However he only gave that small amount of money to the children because a lawyer told him if he gave them nothing they could challenge the will in court. He knew what he was doing. Lynne Frederick was a lot worse for not helping them afterwards, don't forget she married David Frost six months after Sellers died.
    There are a number of good biographies of him, I reccommend 'PS I love you' by Michael Sellers for a very personal account. I don't know if its still in print.
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a good example of a man who cared predominantly only about his own self esteem.
    Unfortunately his lack of self-esteem was the root of many of his problems... he apparently turned down the Gene Wilder part in "The Producers" because he wasn't interested in working with unknown director Mel Brooks, but after the classic film was released, he was so angry with himself about it, that he masochistically forced himself to watch the movie every single week (via projector - this was pre-video)...

He was undoubtedly an incredibly talented comic actor, but he had no quality-control whatsoever... I always think it was appropriate that his last 2 movies were "Being There" (subtle, understated, a truly great performance in a classic movie) and "The Fiendish Plot of Dr. Fu Manchu" (dreadful mugging in an appalling and unfunny movie), which sums up his career, really...
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Interesting that he spent his life as a mimic and putting on accents, perhaps trying to hide the fact that were wasn't much of a person behind the constant facade.
    I never knew Peter Sellers dealt in hackneyed clichés.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I read about how Peter Sellers treat his children. Disgusting that he left his fortune to someone rather than his family. I suppose he wanted that thrill of intense nastiness right up to the end.
  • StockingfillerStockingfiller Posts: 3,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately his lack of self-esteem was the root of many of his problems... he apparently turned down the Gene Wilder part in "The Producers" because he wasn't interested in working with unknown director Mel Brooks, but after the classic film was released, he was so angry with himself about it, that he masochistically forced himself to watch the movie every single week (via projector - this was pre-video)...

He was undoubtedly an incredibly talented comic actor, but he had no quality-control whatsoever... I always think it was appropriate that his last 2 movies were "Being There" (subtle, understated, a truly great performance in a classic movie) and "The Fiendish Plot of Dr. Fu Manchu" (dreadful mugging in an appalling and unfunny movie), which sums up his career, really...

That's what I meant, actually. I should have made that clearer though. The story about Princess Margaret and Victoria;s pony is a cracker. Princess Margaret admired the pony. When the children came home from school they were told that he'd given their much loved pony - to Princess Margaret as a gift.
    Insecurity but also narcissism and inexcusable behaviour. That's what many people do if they have the power to get away with it. He was a fantastic, performer but no one, is so brilliant that they are entitled to behave any way they choose. He must have been a nightmare to be around when he became very successful.
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

See also Tony Hancock. And John Lennon, who was the funniest Beatle and a bit of a **** as well.
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was horrid and not funny at all!

Whether he was funny or not is a matter of opinion, same as any comedian - but popular evidence seems to be against you.

And regardless of how funny he actually was, he's indisputably the best and most versatile voice actor I've EVER heard. Nobody could transform their voice as brilliantly as Sellers managed to. His contributions to The Goons were extraordinary and pretty much every successful comedian since acknowledges it.
  • FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the time Peter's last wife, Lynne died, the £4.5 million fortune he willed to her had whittled down to thousands of pounds left and this was caused by Lynne's chronic drinking & drug use.

So Lynne's daughter from her third marriage, Cassie Unger, didn't get much out of what her late mother had left her. Apart from thousands of dollars left, Cassie also received some of Peter Sellers's possessions (i.e. jewellery & papers) as well.