Monthly Rail Card or Oyster Card?

deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
Forum Member
Hi - quick question...!!!

I currently pay £169 for a monthly rail card to commute from Sanderstead (Zone 6) up to London Bridge (Zone 1) every day (Mon - Fri) but was wondering if it would in fact be cheaper to use an Oyster card instead (I have one which auto tops up whenever my balance hits less than £20)?

Thanks.

Comments

• shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't think you could get monthly rail cards anymore? Or perhaps I'm being stupid :confused: A monthly travel card for zones 1-6 is £219.70 though - http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/national-rail-adult-fares-jan-2014.pdf

Sanderstead is on a red route - http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/national-rail-map.pdf

So you'd be paying £7.50 each way on an Oyster card I do believe (which I work out to be about £300 a month if you make it two journeys each week day for 4 weeks) so you're much better off sticking with your rail card, or the travel card.
  • deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    Just looked on my card and it says Sanderstead to 'Any London Terminus' - maybe thats why its £169?

Thats what I've always paid - whenever I renew, I just ask for ' a monthly rail card from Sanderstead to London Bridge'.

Perhaps the rail card is cheaper than Oyster then....!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^I think this is what you get then, the top option? - http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/seasonticket/tickets

I've just searched my station using that, and it comes up with so many different options. It's really confusing!

But yeah, I'd stick with the rail card you get, as it appears to be cheaper. I know for me, a yearly travel card zones 1-5 is cheaper for my journey than if I were to use my Oyster card.
    Forum Member
    ...perfect - thanks!

:)
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Looking at the price you pay you have an annual national rail season ticket - not a travelcard. Presumably this works because your work is near London bridge so you don't need to get the tube/bus afterwards.

If you travel peak time your season ticket will be much cheaper than an Oystercard pay as you go fare.

The best saving though is to get an annual season ticket - as you get two months for free. Many employers offer season ticket loans interest free for this purpose if you can't take the upfront cost.
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FYI, you can put your annual travelcard onto an Oyster card.

I have an annual travelcard on mine from Zones 2 to 5. Plus I have a bit of top up cash on there for whenever I venture into zone 1.
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Looking at the price you pay you have an annual national rail season ticket - not a travelcard. Presumably this works because your work is near London bridge so you don't need to get the tube/bus afterwards.

If you travel peak time your season ticket will be much cheaper than an Oystercard pay as you go fare.

The best saving though is to get an annual season ticket - as you get two months for free. Many employers offer season ticket loans interest free for this purpose if you can't take the upfront cost.

Its a monthly rail card. Its just for travel on the trains only - from Sanderstead (or Purley Oaks, which is literally 2 mins walk from Sanderstead station) to London Bridge only.

I've thought about an annual one and although I would save on 2 months fees, I just can't justify paying the £1500+ up front fee. :o Also, the fact that I wouldn't use the annual pass on the weekends and any days which I might take leave from work - probably cancels out the 2 month saving....!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »
    I've thought about an annual one and although I would save on 2 months fees, I just can't justify paying the £1500+ up front fee. :o Also, the fact that I wouldn't use the annual pass on the weekends and any days which I might take leave from work - probably cancels out the 2 month saving....!!

If you pay £169 a month now, 12 times a year, that's costing you just over £2000 a year. A yearly ticket would cost you £1760. Either way, you won't use them at weekends or when you are on annual leave, but overall, you'd save nearly £300 a year if you got an annual ticket.

My brother gets a monthly ticket instead of a yearly, and it works out that he is spendng over £300 more than he needs to.
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit, I never bothered getting an annual travelcard until December 2012 when I decided to do it (I'm fortunate in that I can get a season ticket loan at work so didn't have to stump up the cash up front).

It makes more sense for me financially though as I do use the travelcard at the weekend though, either up to London for a wander round, or south (like you from Sanderstead or Purley Oaks!) towards the end of the Caterham/Tattenham Corner line and we go for nice long walks followed by a visit to a pub or two!

One thought for the OP - can you get three monthly tickets? If so, they may offer a bit of a discount rather than paying for three individual months.