HTC J Butterfly

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 289
Forum Member
Anyone seen this beauty?

I really hope they launch it Worldwide.. Surely they can't leave this Japan only?

Comments

• icefallicefall Posts: 7,709
    Forum Member
    Looks lovely, hope so
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks very nice but:

1) Didn't Steve tell us there is no point having screens with greater DPI than their retina display? Hmm, if that wasn't true, I wonder what else was pure BS!

2) Another day, another new HTC phone. I love my Desire S, but they really need to sort out their product range. While Apple and Samsung have strong flagship products with great name recognition, HTC just confuse everyone. What is the HTC flagship phone? The One X+, the One XL, the Butterfly? Or whatever phone they launch tomorrow!
  • n1guyn1guy Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks very nice but:

1) Didn't Steve tell us there is no point having screens with greater DPI than their retina display? Hmm, if that wasn't true, I wonder what else was pure BS!

2) Another day, another new HTC phone. I love my Desire S, but they really need to sort out their product range. While Apple and Samsung have strong flagship products with great name recognition, HTC just confuse everyone. What is the HTC flagship phone? The One X+, the One XL, the Butterfly? Or whatever phone they launch tomorrow!

Agreed, they'd be better putting there efforts into 1 decent flagship model that does everything perfectly and has no issues, every HTC phone I have owned has had something wrong with it be it death grip issues or battery life.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is absolutely a point of diminishing returns with screens and it is not just DPI that Apple highlighted but something called Modular Transformation Function or something (can look it up). A whole bunch of things like DPI, contrast etc

There is also a cost in terms of processing power and battery life in having such hi-DPI screens that it's not really worth it. E.g. the iPad 3 has a powerful GPU but it is so busy pushing so many pixels to the screen that it's quite hampered in what it can do.

But yes, the J is just for Japan.

The HTC 8X will be a nice phone for a good price.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    It looks very nice but:

1) Didn't Steve tell us there is no point having screens with greater DPI than their retina display? Hmm, if that wasn't true, I wonder what else was pure BS!/QUOTE]

Why is it every time there is a new phone someone has to bring up Steve Jobs - very boring now.

Steve Jobs was selling a product - it's all BS to get you to buy it!

As for the phone - it's looking very nice
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    There is absolutely a point of diminishing returns with screens and it is not just DPI that Apple highlighted but something called Modular Transformation Function or something (can look it up). A whole bunch of things like DPI, contrast etc

There is also a cost in terms of processing power and battery life in having such hi-DPI screens that it's not really worth it. E.g. the iPad 3 has a powerful GPU but it is so busy pushing so many pixels to the screen that it's quite hampered in what it can do.

But yes, the J is just for Japan.

The HTC 8X will be a nice phone for a good price.

The 8X looks far too much like a Nokia phone. I expect another round of lawsuits!
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    It looks very nice but:

BIB - this was a problem for HTC, and why they were losing money. They would bring out new phone every couple of months and nobody would know if it was the flagship model or not. Or what the pecking order was for their phones.

I though they tried to address this, when they brought out the One range (One X, One S and One V). Each phone belonged to a top, middle and bottom range. However they have partially muddied the water with the One X+. Although to be fair to them, they have stuck with the same naming convention, the + denoting the better model. I do feel that HTC should release a flagship model, and then stick with it for a year. Make a big fuss about it, that way its clear what their flagship model is. Any improvements they want to add like the One X+, they shouldnt. Add all these new features into the new flagship model the following year. Much like Samsung/Apple. These two companies are successful, so follow what they do.

I believe the butterfly is aimed at the 'phablet' market. So doesnt really fall into the general phone category. Much like Samsungs flagship model is the S3, the Note 2 is a 'phablet' phone. So it falls into a different category.

As for the J butterfly, it does look a very nice phone. Would love a phone with that high a PPI...just not a screen that big. Even though its not for me, I do hope they bring a similar handset to the rest of the world.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks very nice but:

This phone is in the phablet category, they have made that clear, it's a galaxy note rival. Not something to replace the one range. And it's only for Japan it seems. A shame. Does look rather sexy!
    Forum Member
    Here is an article by The Verge, one of the pictures shows a comparison between the iphone 5 and butterfly screens. Quite a bit of difference. There is also a demo on the site.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a phone that's only available in Japn, its getting a huge amount of international publicity. Maybe HTC has finally done some good marketing and generated interest by telling people about a phone they can't have! (and then they make it available globally in a few weeks and get a second round of free publicity!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    This phone is in the phablet category, they have made that clear, it's a galaxy note rival. Not something to replace the one range. And it's only for Japan it seems. A shame. Does look rather sexy!

The first line from The Verge review:

"The rumors were true: HTC has been working on a new flagship phone with a 5-inch 1080p display"

So if they have made it clear that this isn't their new flagship phone, The Verge missed it too.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The screen may be nice, but that software is ugly. Sense 4 was lovely to look at - this has gone back to Sense 3.5 ala HTC Rythme...
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first line from The Verge review:

"The rumors were true: HTC has been working on a new flagship phone with a 5-inch 1080p display"

So if they have made it clear that this isn't their new flagship phone, The Verge missed it too.

Also it's only a tiny bit wider and heavier than the One X so will fit in your pocket no problem which cant be said about the Note 2.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    I'm on a bit of a Chinese phone manufacture mood today-

Oppo, who currently hold the record for the worlds thinnest smartphone (not apple) and are a well established premium brand in China announced the "Find 5" a while back, its due for release this November/December at a conversion of cost of £300, probably be closer to £400 here in the UK inc shipping/tax.

It's a competitor to the HTC J Butterfly. I think its great to see Chinese/Taiwanese brands like HTC, Oppo, Zopo, Huawei, Jiayu, Star, Xiaomi, Meizu, ZTE & Lenovo release a number of phones that are unique, high spec, low cost and not copies of other phones. Chinese phones have progressed a lot recently proving that China can produce a lot of great phones and not crappy ones.

Here are the specs for the Find 5-
    5.0 Inch 1920x1080 IPS Screen @ 440DPI
    1.5Ghz Qualcomm Quad core processor
    2GB Ram + 16GB ROM
    12.1Mp Camera
    2500mAh Battery
    Android 4.1
    6.9mm thin
    2999RMB (£300)

Great alternative and great price.
  • RushRush Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Possible the best looking phone I've ever seen!
    Forum Member
    Rush wrote: »

It certainly is. Samsung need to hire htcs chief designer.
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do we think are the chances of us getting it over here.

I loved the look of the One X+ but this looks even better. My Desire HD is needing replaced soon.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    It'll come here eventually but under a different name with a few design or even spec changes
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rumours now of HTC DLX, same screen, potentially better battery and 12mp camera as being the worldwide release.

Sounds far too good to be true.
    Forum Member
    Rumours now of HTC DLX, same screen, potentially better battery and 12mp camera as being the worldwide release.

Sounds far too good to be true.

I've heard the rumours and seen the pictures, looks like the J Butterfly.. but better. I was really considering getting the One X + but I might just wait and see what's to come..

I have the Desire S, then I was gonna upgrade to the HTC Sensation XL but soon after the One X was announced, which I had briefly, but all 3 were faulty so I just cancelled. Now we have the One X + that's looks like it could be outdated soon by the "DLX" hopefully the waiting game will pay of eventually.. otherwise its bye HTC, hello Samsung Note 2 (hate touchwiz) looks great in general.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member

It is... This could be my next phone.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    It is... This could be my next phone.:)

It's a Japan only phone :(
    Forum Member
    pow wow wrote: »
    It's a Japan only phone :(

HTC will release the HTC DLX which is essentially the same phone, but for the rest of the world.
    Forum Member
    US version announced, still no word on a UK release. I WANT THIS!
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    US version announced, still no word on a UK release. I WANT THIS!

It certainly does catch the eye. Hopefully details for a UK version soon.