America's Next Top Model Cycle 20 (US Pace) *no spoilers*

meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,104
Forum Member
......Guys & Girls

Going to be hard getting used to it being on Friday nights.

Looks interesting so far...

Comments

• meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,104
    Forum Member
    Instead of the phrase 'putting a name to the face', having voted for the photos already it's like 'putting a personality to the pictures'. Sometimes it's disappointing when they aren't as fierce as their pictures portrayed.

But I'm enjoying the cast so far. Though the sob stories got a bit much, particularly Marvin's. His dad being a janitor is not exactly a shocking story.

Poor Chris H lol trying hard to make friends but instead making enemies. So nice of Nina to make an effort with him. Could be an adorkable friendship on the cards.

Not as keen on Jourdan and Jeremy though.
    Jourdan looks to have alot of potential but her brain is still in high school mode. Like she knows she's the prettiest girl in school and her struggle will be rising above the boys attention.
    But then Jeremy's just like the typical high school meathead jock playing it as an innocent mummy's boy but also wanting to hook up with the pretty girl. Jourdan saying he was following her around certainly turned that a bit sour. heh heh

Thought Don was a bit blah initially but he seems quite calm and considered, particularly with Marvin and also acknowledging Chris H as major competition instead of just hating on him.

The preview for next week is a bit OTT, like someone's literally going to plunge to their death.
  • PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,419
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed the opening episodes! Really love the whole guys mix now.

The only problem i had was the SOB STORIES, oh my god.. They were overdid it and the one that had the Janitor as a dad? I'm sorry that was the most ridiculous "sob story" i've ever heard and he mentioned it at least 6 times.

My favourite model so far is Don, i'm totally in love and i like Nina. I also like Jeremy because i feel sorry for him.

I can't remember the name, but whoever the new gay guy is that is replacing Jay just doesn't work. I find him annoying and so unlikeable. BRING BACK THE JAYS.

Next weeks looks so dramatic, i can't wait!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    When and where is this on?
  • riannerianne Posts: 1,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don... love his look. Though, I think he could be a bit of a player. :o:D

I also like Cory. I like his personality so far.

None of the girls have stood out yet, besides Nina for me.

Haven't got any favourites yet. I've seen some of the pictures, but I'm going to wait til I watch the episodes to pass judgement.
  • Lucylocket88Lucylocket88 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    maisyjess wrote: »

I have had a look on the living tv and living it listings and cannot find America's Next Top Model listed there, so I have no idea what channel this is on:confused:
  • PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,419
    Forum Member
    I have had a look on the living tv and living it listings and cannot find America's Next Top Model listed there, so I have no idea what channel this is on:confused:

It's on in America.
    Forum Member
    Tyyleer wrote: »
    It's on in America.

Thanks for that. The show is shown in the UK after, so I think this is why I was confused about when the show was being aired on tv.
    Forum Member
    maisyjess wrote: »

I am guessing this will be showin in the UK on Living TV when Britain and Ireland's Next Top Model has finished
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am guessing this will be showin in the UK on Living TV when Britain and Ireland's Next Top Model has finished

Living still need to show C19 first. Then they will show this one.
  • dylanpartyondylanpartyon Posts: 11,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good start to the series I thought. Most of the guys, pretty much all bar Chris S I think have potential. My favourite from the guys are other Chris, Mike and Jeremy.

On the other hand. The girls are at an awful standard. Only Jourdan, Nina and Kanani looking good. Renee aswell kinda.

But yeah its wierd watching, having not seen the photos yet. Last series I had predetermined favourites girls, and pictures, that I was more disappointed than usual when they went, or when they went before their best photos. So yeah i wanted to watch it without any predjudice at the start. Ill probably cave in eventually and look at them. But hopefully not...
    Forum Member
    Been on holiday so just caught up now.

Yeah, this is on in America at the moment, not in the UK.

Here are my original scores when the pics were first released:
    9 points - Jiana, Cory, Kanani
    8 points - Jourdan, Nina, Phil, Marvin, Jeremy
    7 points - Chris H, Renee, Alex, Don, Chlea, Bianca
    6 points - Chris S, Mike

At least I got the bottom ones right I guess.

Not really digging the hook-ups and matchmaking, especially that triangle of Bianca/Mike/Marvin. I liked Bianca but hopefully now she's gone that will put an end to that.
    Though Marvin's the main one getting thrown down our throats at the moment, everyone else has been fairly balanced in their screentime. Except maybe Kanani is lacking a bit of attention.

I think the show's producers may have actually done the impossible and found an even worse opening music than ever before. Yeesh!

Found it funny how Chlea just put Kelly's nose out of joint straight-away. Think that will come back to haunt her though.
    And when it came down to the bottom three I sort of knew that Tyra wouldn't eliminate her hand-picked recruit.
  • DLS1DLS1 Posts: 2,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else here think that Mike looks an awful lot like Dave Grohl? A seriously handsome version though.
  • Fraser92Fraser92 Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    I like chris s!
    Forum Member
    Yey makeover episode. Not really sure why they did the photoshoot beforehand. All it did was allow you to reflect on how good they can look with their old look when you saw their photos in panel.
    Was good to see the guys joking about the girls being put out at Marvin getting best photo last week all at the bottom this time. ;) heh heh

Here were my original votes for the photos:
    9 points - Chris H., Jiana
    8 points - Cory, Nina, Phil
    7 points - Jourdan, Marvin, Alex, Kanani
    6 points - Don, Mike, Renee, Jeremy
    4 points - Chlea
    yeah Chlea's photo really was that bad. :o

Really didn't think Mike deserved top photo, he struggled greatly and his body was very squashed. The only complimentary thing I can say about his modelling ability is that he looks good.
    Tyra obviously has to justify his presence, just like they always skew the results by fixing their own scores to counteract the fan scores.
    Like Bryanboy saying Jourdan had disappointed her fans when her fan score went from 7.9 last week to 7.8 this week. Meanwhile Marvin, when he had top photo last week only had 6.1 in the fan vote, and this week Mike had 7.5. Quite a good score, but the fan scores are so high this season :eek: this week Jiana and Chris H had 8.8, Nina had 8.6, and Alex, Jourdan and Cory had 7.8.
    Last season the fan scores were so poor in comparison.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I'm in love with Jeremy & Phil. :o

Jeremy is a virgin. :eek::o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I'm enjoying having male models as part of this season, I am already sick of the relationship aspects it brings with it. I really don't care who fancies who and wish there wasn't so much focus on it and more focus on the actual modelling.

The girls are really weak this series. No stands out for me at all. So it already feels like it's been set up for a guy to win.
    Also the photo shoots so far have seemed very cheap and tacky looking to me, even more so than they are usually. I'm wondering whether it's because they now have that stupid moving part of the photo (what's the point?!) or whether it just seems tackier because I'm watching it alongside the new series of Australia's Next Top Model, which always outclasses the British and American NTM's in terms of the standard of models and photo shoots.
    I also don't think the group shots are helping. I feel like it's hard to see peoples faces properly even when they zoom in on them.

I thought the Guess show was stupidly scary and difficult considering it was just a challenge and not a photo shoot. I'm surprised they all managed to do it because I certainly wouldn't have been able to! :o
    Forum Member
    Not really fussed Mike went, he was easily the weakest. Think he should probably have gone instead of Chris S a couple of weeks ago.

Love the supportive friendship between Chris H and Nina, though I'm concerned that they're putting too much emphasis on it. Like it's building so much momentum that it may combust, I hope not though.

The ones who did well this episode (challenge/photoshoot) are pretty much the ones I want to see make it far at the moment - Jourdan, Nina, Chris H, Jiana, Phil, though I also like Cory, Kanani and Alex.
    I wish Marvin would STFU about who he fancies, nobody cares!!! He's gone from the Mike/Bianca thing, now trying to muscle in on Jiana and Phil. :mad:

My original scores of the photos:
    10 points - Jiana
    9 points - Nina, Jourdan, Kanani, Chris H, Don
    8 points - Marvin, Jeremy
    7 points - Alex, Cory, Phil
    6 points - Renee, Mike

Quite close to what the judges thought, apart from Phil being a bit low and Jeremy a bit high. Plus the fans also rate Jiana very high, I think 9 is the highest fan score I've ever seen. :eek:
    I got the feeling that the judges wanted Jeremy to go home and Tyra was disappointed when it was Mike. The judges didn't do enough to compensate for the difference in fan score (Jeremy's 7.2 to Mike's 5.1)

Next week looks......interesting. Full on drag for both genders.
  • Happy_ChappyHappy_Chappy Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jourdan sometimes reminds me of Amanda Knox (looks-wise) - not really when she's modelling, but during the scenes around the house or in interviews. For weeks I thought she looked familiar, but it only just occurred to me during this weeks episode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Here's what I think is wrong with this new ANTM: Kelly Cutrone. Miserable, bitter, hateful mess. I wouldn't take advice on how to look or behave from this individual if my life depended on it.

The social media guy who sits on the end and only churps up when someone has something to say on social media. What IS the point? Surely Tyra could just introduce a clip of someone on a VT. Why is this guy needed at all? He doesn't contribute anything and I miss the guest judges each week.

The scoring is all over the place. I think they changed it to make it look like it was a fairer system but in all honesty, it wouldn't take much to tweak the scores in favour of the person they want to get rid of that week. It's also not how the modelling industry works. Versace don't run along to twitter and see what everyone is saying about each model. Who cares?

Also the reality TV style footage of the guys and gals in the house detracts from who these people actually are. Less time is spent on the models than usual. I can't even remember the person who went home this week because they didn't spend a lot of time on her.
    Forum Member
    When these drag vids were first released I was praying they would just be some random challenge rather than in the place of a photoshoot. It was funny and all but I was too embarrassed to even score them. lol

As for the phone drama, even though Jourdan is kind of bratty, I can't stand it when people start talking about slapping someone. :rolleyes: I think Nina was right that it's jealousy since everyone was already prickly at Jourdan for getting the best picture.

wtf at Perez Hilton dressing like some sort of bizarre leprachaun.
    Marvin's stand on not bashing people would be very noble if he wasn't bashing Chris H on his twitter last week. :o If you're going to take a firm stand then practice what you preach.
    I think I'm tired of Marvin more than anyone and that kind of sums up how I find him and his edit so contrived and rather false.

I feel bad for Alex being eliminated for not being a good drag act, but her fan scores are always pretty damn good. She was unfortunate to be up against Jiana who gets the best fan scores out of everyone. It means Alex has a huge chance to come back and can put this drag thing behind her. lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't seen episode 6 yet, but I feel like somethings lacking in this series. And it was the same as last series it just feels cold and not warm and welcoming and I miss that atmosphere.

I also feel so far, it's been too sexual. Every photo shoot is just sexy. And it's not really switching it up and it's just a bit bland.

I find Rob and pointless judge and he just seems weak as a judge compared to Tyson. I don't feel like Rob really knows anything. And as much as I dislike Kelly and find her a bit blunt I do think her harshness is needed, she's like the Simon Cowell of the judges. I don't see the point of Byranboy and he annoys me. I'm still not sure if I like the ides of fans voting. I didn't like it last cycle but I think it's seems to be doing okay this cycle. I'm warming to the creative director guy. He's no Jay but he's not terrible.

My favorites is Nina, I love her look, she's a great model and seems like a good person. I can see her becoming amazing and if that happens I hooe she idn't robbed (like Alison was, she was robbed twice)

I like Jourdan, once she gets the confindence and realise she can be more risky she's going to the one to best.

The guys.... mostly annoy me. Corey? (the bald guy) is my favorite and reminds me of Squidward in that episode where he becones really handsome.

I like Chris H as well. And I like Don and Phil's looks but not loving them as people.

Sorry guys that was a long post.
  • DomestosDomestos Posts: 7,014
    Forum Member
    hang on is ANTM male?
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris is my favourite. Gorgeous, and photographs very well. But not liking the ice blonde hair.

I think they chose a fairly weak group of girls deliberately in order to ensure that a male wins. I can't see a girl winning this at all. This week they got stitched up, much harder for a girl to pull off a guy than it is for a guy to drag up.

Alex was one of my preferred girls.:(

Tbh, in some ways Kelly is the best judge, at least she adds something as awful as she is. Robb and Bryanboy are so bad I barely remember their names.

And, this cycle is annoying largely because the focus of the storylines is all about who is attracted to who. It's very dull and juvenile to watch. I don't mind having guys in the competition, but don't really like the dynamic of girls vs boys.
    Forum Member
    Domestos wrote: »
    hang on is ANTM male?

Cycle 20 has introduced males into the competition along with females.
    Yobaba** wrote: »
    And, this cycle is annoying largely because the focus of the storylines is all about who is attracted to who. It's very dull and juvenile to watch. I don't mind having guys in the competition, but don't really like the dynamic of girls vs boys.

Unfortunately, due to the endless potential of these hook-up storylines, I can see it being the reason they brings back 'guys vs girls' again in the future.
    Not that I don't like having male models, but I agree the dynamics feel like they're right out of high school.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the right person went this week.

From watching the comeback series, I can safely say Mike (tyras prodigy) wont be voted back in :p