Martine McCutcheon declared bankrupt

Comments

• 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wouldn't surprise me in the least if she starts appearing in all the magazines with the title "Martine McCutcheon : My bankruptcy hell"

And probably pocket thousands in the process.

Does anyone really care about McCutcheon anyway? She had a fortune, she blew it, now she's bankrupt. Why should she be rewarded for it?
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder why they've never had her on Strictly
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    I'm quite surprised to see this. didn't she have also successful career as a trashy novelist? I'm sure I've seen her books turned into dramas on telly. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scone wrote: »
    Let us remember her Eastender's role where she died on the ice after being tapped slightly by Frank Butcher's car and before anyone says it, yes I know she banged her head.

What gets me about this is that no one even touched her after she had fallen, no one took their coat off and wrapped it round her, they all just stood staring, watching her last breath, I found it quite odd.

Sorry, thinking out loud :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m19Zer-UPpE

I've sat through all that - even though I remember it well! DOH! :o

Watched it all, till you get to the 'good bit' - and the acting throughout is really bad - and real overacting too!

& you are right - the dying scene is really weird. It's drawn out far too long, like an awkward silence. It's uncomfortable and nobody moves at all, they just all look around. It's like the director has said 'Right, everyone give everyone else their best shocked/stunned expression'

Should have got a stuntman from diehard to do a proper crash scene to beef (horse) it up a bit. Or maybe even Bruce Willis himself in a black wig. :p
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HALibutt wrote: »
    I've sat through all that - even though I remember it well! DOH! :o

Watched it all, till you get to the 'good bit' - and the acting throughout is really bad - and real overacting too!

& you are right - the dying scene is really weird. It's drawn out far too long, like an awkward silence. It's uncomfortable and nobody moves at all, they just all look around. It's like the director has said 'Right, everyone give everyone else their best shocked/stunned expression'

Should have got a stuntman from diehard to do a proper crash scene to beef (horse) it up a bit. Or maybe even Bruce Willis himself in a black wig. :p

Haha :D
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Most successful soap to screen stars???

What has she done on TV since leaving Eastenders???

Yoghurt adverts and being killed by a wheel of cheese in an episode of Midsommer Murders

She had a succsesful singing career between 1999 and 2001. She released hits such as Perfect Moment, I've got You, I'm Over You, Love Me/Talking In Your Sleep and On The Radio, a cover of Donna Summer's 1980 single.

Also she's had three albums out, one of which was the soundtrack to the musical she was in, in 2003 called My Fair Lady. I believe she played the lead, Eliza Doolitle for a few weeks.

There's also been a greatest hits released last year, featuring hits, album tracks and remixes.

http://cdn.7static.com/static/img/sleeveart/00/018/793/0001879345_500.jpg

Plus, the Activia Ads and being in a few TV episodes of various programmes.

I was watching French and Saunders 1999 Christmas Special on Gold the other day. I saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcffm6wZeVE It is Dawn French doing a parody of MM's Perfect Moment. So hillarious! :D One line that is extremely funny is, "All's I know's is, I was Tiffany!" Scroll to 53 seconds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    She had a succsesful singing career between 1999 and 2001. She released hits such as Perfect Moment, I've got You, I'm Over You, Love Me/Talking In Your Sleep and On The Radio, a cover of Donna Summer's 1980 single.

Also she's had three albums out, one of which was the soundtrack to the musical she was in, in 2003 called My Fair Lady. I believe she played the lead, Eliza Doolitle for a few weeks.

There's also been a greatest hits released last year, featuring hits, album tracks and remixes.

http://cdn.7static.com/static/img/sleeveart/00/018/793/0001879345_500.jpg

Plus, the Activia Ads and being in a few TV episodes of various programmes.

I was watching French and Saunders 1999 Christmas Special on Gold the other day. I saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcffm6wZeVE It is Dawn French doing a parody of MM's Perfect Moment. So hillarious! :D One line that is extremely funny is, "All's I know's is, I was Tiffany!" Scroll to 53 seconds.

Love Dawn French. She's ace! :cool:
    Although she was better as Catherine Spartacus Douglas Jones though! :p

Looking on the U Tube clips I caught French and Saunders doing a take off of Jodie Marsh and Jordan. It's brill! :D:D
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think MM is like a lot of 'minor' celebs who gain some form of fame and, to a certain extent, plaudits. Think they will be the next oscar/emmy/tony winner and attempt to move to a bigger stage.

When it goes belly up, they panic a bit, don't listen to, or have no advisors to direct them.

They then keep up the pretence of being a big star, with all the expenses involved, in the hope that being photographed or reported on will transfer to work offers.

It's akin to a gambler who keeps doubling up on red, in the hope that if it lands everything will be rosy.
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't these celebrities have accountants who would advise that they owe a boat load of tax? Wouldn't they advise their clients to put some money is a separate account to pay their tax, or something like that? Maybe MM thought there would be another large paycheck sometime in the future.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Why do people hate Martine? I've never understood it.

Is it because she tried (and failed) to crack the US? Or because she left EE? Or just because of those annoying adverts?

No, because she is talentless and annoying. :rolleyes:
  • LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe she can apply for a job at Downing Street.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LolaSvelt wrote: »
    Maybe she can apply for a job at Downing Street.

Come on, we're in a bad enough economic state as it is and given her outstanding tax bill has likely contributed to it, the only person that would entertain the thought would be Hugh Grant playing a befuddled buffoon because in real life he seems like a no BS media savvy machine.

Although I can see Cameron going for it since he seems to have a thing for celebrity endorsements.
  • lyndalahugheslyndalahughes Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Most successful soap to screen stars???

What has she done on TV since leaving Eastenders???

Yoghurt adverts and being killed by a wheel of cheese in an episode of Midsommer Murders

Echo Beach with Jason Donovan...LOL.
  • Tori's SoapboxTori's Soapbox Posts: 4,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But, despite this fame and accompanying fortune, she was made bankrupt by the High Court after failing to deliver the final £82,000 of a £417,000 tax bill.
    i4u wrote: »
    Sounds like she didn't pay tax for a number of years?

Now she's in the Kerry Katonna club, her next job will likely be advertising loans.
    flyingv wrote: »
    This is the bit I don't get. My understanding is that normal, non-celeb people don't have a bankruptcy order dissolved until 6 years have passed irrespective of whether you clear your debts or not. It's something that's meant to stay on your financial records for 6 years, so how is it that hers only lasts a year? Perhaps you get special rates if you're a celeb...:confused: Agree with the earlier poster who said she has most likely 'bought' houses and cars for family and close friends so that it seems as if she has no assets that can be used by HMRC as payment of her tax bill. She must not have paid tax for yonks to have a bill of £417k.

The £417,000 refers to Kerry Katona's tax bill. The article jumps about a bit referring to different zelebs, so it's not clear but it reads 'Her stock rose higher after winning I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here. But, despite this fame and accompanying fortune, she was made bankrupt by the High Court after failing to deliver the final £82,000 of a £417,000 tax bill'

Interestingly, I've not seem any figures about how much MM owes
  • Tori's SoapboxTori's Soapbox Posts: 4,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to hear this; I used to like Martine back in the day. She certainly hasn't done herself any favours over the years, but then that could be said of others I like too.
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    Bet she's gutted EE bumped Tiffany off! suppose they could always do a Dirty Den style comeback through:rolleyes:
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lil lexie wrote: »
    I'm quite surprised to see this. didn't she have also successful career as a trashy novelist? I'm sure I've seen her books turned into dramas on telly. :confused:
    I was going to ask about that. I remember vaguely seeing her ages ago on some show where she was promoting her new novel. I can't remember if she wrote the book or if she had the idea and someone else wrote it for her.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    I was going to ask about that. I remember vaguely seeing her ages ago on some show where she was promoting her new novel. I can't remember if she wrote the book or if she had the idea and someone else wrote it for her.

Ab yes, Martine's dip into the land of chick lit - sadly the first chapter is no longer on line, but oh my, what a read that was... I give you some quotes I've managed to dig up

Hmmmm, who does our heroine, Mandy, remind us of...
    "hair was dark as ebony and … fell in shiny waves over her shoulders; her skin was flawless, even and gleaming, her long dark lashes framing her beautiful big brown eyes perfectly. Her lower lip was fuller than the top and when she smiled she lit up the room."

And my favourite of all
    If you went for it, truly went for it, you could get the life you wanted here, and that was Mandy's aim - to have it all. And why not? She'd read a greeting on a card once in Paperchase on the King's Road that had truly stuck with her: Reach for the moon, and even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."

Although, to be fair to Martine, she didn't use a ghost writer, she absolutely should have, but she didn't.

But still, she threw up over Mick Hucknell, so I forgive her :)
  • ConcretepigsyConcretepigsy Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No sympathy for people like this, they have everything spend everything end up with nothing and we as consumers have to pay higher charges and interest rates to pay for their financial corruptness.

Bet she is still living a lifestyle most of us can only dream about
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can a person go bankrupt. It's not an IQ test, don't spend more than you can afford, send her down! :D
  • television2004television2004 Posts: 2,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She will only be bankrupt for a year. It used to be 5 years but the Labour government changed it to 12 months.
    Bankruptcy is a convenient way of getting rid of all your debts. No doubt she has now gone on holiday to some warm country!
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bigheather wrote: »
    Jonathan Pryce being fairly diplomatic about McCutcheon's absenteeism during My Fair Lady
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVHSfMYm7_Q

I know the fellow who played Colonel Pickering in the production, and they were a deal less diplomatic behind the scenes!