LG Nexus 5 codename Megalodon leaked?

2»

Comments

• StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    slick1two wrote: »
    Hard to say really, how much the stock shortage thing was true. Google may have been trying to create a buzz by putting a small number of phones on the play store. There seemed to be more than enough availability in carphone warehouse and the phone networks also had plentiful supply .

Then the stock came back on the play store the day of the Blackberry Z10 launch Good timing from Google, (how convenient) And it's been in stock ever since.

So i'm guessing LG and Google are cool, they probably just played the good cop bad cop routine for a bit, Don't think there was ever any fallout.

Bit in bold.

Nah, they didn't. I struggled like hell to get one on boxing day and only the carphone warehouse had 1 left out of every phone shop in Dundee.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Bit in bold.

Nah, they didn't. I struggled like hell to get one on boxing day and only the carphone warehouse had 1 left out of every phone shop in Dundee.

Pretty sure they had them online though at carphone warehouse, no?
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    slick1two wrote: »
    Pretty sure they had them online though at carphone warehouse, no?

In fairness, i dunno. I was looking in shops :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fairness, i dunno. I was looking in shops :)

Yeah I just remember browsing around for it, when Play was out of stock and I am sure I came across it on carphone warehouse, unless I imagined that lol
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    Well, One of LG's directors said in January it was primarily due to poor sales forecasts from Google, both in terms of the total number of sales and the forecasted distribution between countries.
    Well, they'd hardly stand up and say that it was due to them trying to make extra profits.

That said, it's quite plausible Google didn't forecast how popular it would be.
    That doesn't necessarily mean they did a bad job of trying to predict what the demand would be like, simply that it was so radically different to the way the market normally works that normal predictions would be useless.

Roush wrote: »
    Equally though, I wouldn't be surprised if LG did't divert supplies away from other retail channels to support the Play Store shortfalls.
    Probably in the end, given that the sales through other channels were relatively poor due to the price difference.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some new news has leaked regarding Google's Motorola X phone.

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_x_phone_render_surfaces_some_more_specs_added-news-5757.php

Rumoured specs:

- Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
    - Snapdragon 800 chipset
    - 4.7inch screen
    - 1280 x 768 resolution display
    - 4000 mAh battery
    - Gorilla Glass 3
    - IP57 certified
    - no microSD card slot

Could be announced May 15th at Google's I/O.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it's a water-resistant Nexus4 with a big battery?

That SoC seems wasted on a 720HD handset.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    So it's a water-resistant Nexus4 with a big battery?

That SoC seems wasted on a 720HD handset.

Let's see. The screen will be below par at 768, it needs to be 1080 to be a top phone these days, but they are only rumours. With 1080p and the rest of those specs it will wear the HO and S4 as hats.
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit in bold.

That's not exactly true is it, you said you got fed up of waiting for goggleplay store to get stock so you went to CPW and took their early upgrade offer. You even advised others to do the same for such a great handset.

You never once mentioned struggling to get one, I doubt it's still in your posting history though.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given they're producing one of the devices in the current Nexus range, I'd say that's an incorrect conclusion.

The device they produce is a 10" tablet for which they have no own brand competitor of similiar specs. I can't see them making a phone which will go head to head with S4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    The device they produce is a 10" tablet for which they have no own brand competitor of similiar specs. I can't see them making a phone which will go head to head with S4.
    So the evidence that they wouldn't make a high-spec Nexus handset for fear of competing with their own-brand high-spec handset is that they produce a high-spec Nexus tablet that's higher-spec than any of their own-brand tablets?
    Not sure I see the logic there.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the evidence that they wouldn't make a high-spec Nexus handset for fear of competing with their own-brand high-spec handset is that they produce a high-spec Nexus tablet that's higher-spec than any of their own-brand tablets?
    Not sure I see the logic there.

but their nexus table it priced way above their own tablets, they are not competing in the same space.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but their nexus table it priced way above their own tablets, they are not competing in the same space.

The Galxy Tab 2 10.1 about the same price or just below as the Nexus 10 and the Note 10 is priced above it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »

I can't imagine they will release it with the Snapdragon 600. if it was coming out around about now, then yes but it will likely be out around October time, by then it won't be as cutting edge as the nexus 4 was when it was released.

Interesting they could go the 720p route. The N4 display looks fine to me. I still think in the end they will shoot for 1080p but then if it's going to sell for a cheap price like the N4 did then i can understand the knock down in certain features.

Still I don't think any of this is concrete, and so things will still change from week to week pretty much with a new batch of rumours.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Maybe KLP will run like a dream on this... Or they wish to change the focus from spec to features.. But I agree does seem odd
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Maybe KLP will run like a dream on this... Or they wish to change the focus from spec to features.. But I agree does seem odd

I'm all for that now. Spec wise with the latest line of hardware we have more than enough power for real world use. I think phone manufacturers need to concentrate on other areas such as battery life and features. What phone needs to be more powerful than a Samsung s4, HTC One or even a Nexus 4? Also how many more pixels do you need on a screen which is under 6 inches? 6 inches!! People use to say Full HD didn't really matter unless you had a TV bigger than 32 inches!!

Anyways I don't want to take this into a PPI war we've had enough of those! But I think now is the time to refine the experience of using a smart phone with some more tweaks and features. Give us a better battery for starters and a great camera that does both stills and video as good as the 808 Nokia did.

Also love Things like google now and jelly bean itself brought some nice optimisations to the table. So looking forward to KLP to see what we get.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 16GB Nexus 10 sells for £320.
    The going rate for the 16GB Note 10.1 is about £350.

The Nexus has a more powerful SoC and a higher-res screen for a lower price.