Comments

• kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »

It is the result of apps being available for free or throwaway money.

You don't need bots to push the popularity of an app. Kids with download anything and the trends created on the likes of Facebook and Twitter catch on very quickly.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That contradicts with stores being 'full of zombies'.
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23240971

Weirdly there, Apple are claiming 12 or more downloads per year for 90% of apps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That contradicts with stores being 'full of zombies'.
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23240971

Weirdly there, Apple are claiming 12 or more downloads per year for 90% of apps.

Not sure what the "zombies" claim has to do with your first post:confused

I'm also not sure whether you are saying this is a apple problem? I see that flappy birds is top of the charts in the play store.

From my limited experience. My child came home with flappy birds on their phone, and it appears it was going round the school like wild fire, so I'll stick to my theory that twitter and the like are the only bots needed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it sounds like a heck of a lot of 'twits' happy to pay the $1 fee.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, it sounds like a heck of a lot of 'twits' happy to pay the $1 fee.

$1 or £0.69 is nothing and wouldn't register with the vast majority of people, including kids.

How many purchases do you need to get into 3rd place in the charts in any given week?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your comment suggests both media stories are quite a distance from the truth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your comment suggests both media stories are quite a distance from the truth.

No they don't. My comments give my view based on my experience and the action of my kids and their friends.

You provided a link to a story about "zombie" in which there where quotes from both 'research' and apple. Which one do you believe, and why?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    No they don't...
    Well the Guardian one is pebble in the water like first reading like an ad for a very basic template system.
    It then tells us you need $4000 of sales to hit the chart.

The phonearena one tells a story on how manipulation is achieved.

There is that 'truth distance', even though you refuse to see it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No they don't. My comments give my view based on my experience and the action of my kids and their friends.

You provided a link to a story about "zombie" in which there where quotes from both 'research' and apple. Which one do you believe, and why?
    Well the Guardian one is pebble in the water like first reading like an ad for a very basic template system.
    It then tells us you need $4000 of sales to hit the chart.

The phonearena one tells a story on how manipulation is achieved.

There is that 'truth distance', even though you refuse to see it.

What do you think I refuse to see:confused:

Why are you happy to believe one part of a story and not another.?

What issue do you actually think exists? Are you worried that the play store charts are misrepresenting the number of downloads?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'll deduce from the 'suspicion' stories that a bit of manipulation , and from your observation, that the trending/flock action of the young got it there.
    I'm taking for granted that "game so harmless and devoid of substance that even a baby would be embarrassed of playing it" describes it well.

Major suspicion could also say the $10 app author played a major part. This one is a double buck earner, even getting major prominence in the story!
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's interesting about how charts can be manipulated.

One model is with Free/Freemium apps where thousands of fake downloads can force junk high up the charts. Sometimes from there people are 'enticed' via a low cost in-app purchase or upgrade to the non-free, but low-cost version of the app. Although it's hard to see how the bouncing red ball would entice anyone !

Apple and Google have both been been known remove apps in the past 'to maintain quality' where this has been suspected. What's more murky is where the apps are not free at all and some serious money must be changing hands to drive those up the charts.
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I came here from the DS article on Flappy Bird laughing my head off at their video in which they try to find something good about that pile of shite only to find there's a red bouncy ball app.

I'm genuinely bewildered that these app games could appeal to anyone over the age of 9 but everyday see 'grown ups' playing games where they have to match three balls of the same colour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that I have watched it I understand the attraction of the banality.
    It is quite hilarious that Red Bouncing Ball is meant to be far worse.

If the Flappy author is making money he should grow up and accept life and good fortune. Just like Apple do.
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a549920/flappy-bird-to-be-removed-from-app-store-google-play-tomorrow.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I'm a developer myself and while theres been a lot of speculation about just how Flappy Birds became so successful I have to admit it is very addictive trying to beat your own score! So however he managed it well done to him!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the Flappy author is making money he should grow up and accept life and good fortune. Just like Apple do.
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a549920/flappy-bird-to-be-removed-from-app-store-google-play-tomorrow.html

Nothing 'immature' about not enjoying a level of celebrity and unwelcome abuse via Twitter that he never, ever invited or wanted. I think his move to take the game down so that the fuss would die down and go away was very brave. I think people berating him for it or criticising his motives like you have done is pretty much the problem in the first place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspuds comment about trends is likely accurate in that Angry Birds us 'trending.

The authors only problem is that he is not a corporate author.
    'Take the money', ignore the idiots and getting on with your next creation is what it is about.

Celebrities seldom read the press because they have a life. The very same likely suited him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kidspuds comment about trends is likely accurate in that Angry Birds us 'trending.

The authors only problem is that he is not a corporate author.
    'Take the money', ignore the idiots and getting on with your next creation is what it is about.

Celebrities seldom read the press because they have a life. The very same likely suited him.

Not even closely related to this thread, but that comment made me laugh. I assume you did not write that without laughing out loud:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really can't work out whether you are a stalker kidspud.
    You do trend that way.

If you don't want to disagree and add, please don't post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really can't work out whether you are a stalker kidspud.
    You do trend that way.

If you don't want to disagree and add, please don't post.

You wonder if I'm a stalker when I reply to a post in which you mention my name. Strangely enough, that did draw my attension to the post.

I'll happily disagree.

However, please don't tell me if or when to post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...that did draw my attension to the post.
    I'll happily disagree.However, please don't tell me if or when to post.
    What I think brought your attention is the need to debase .

If I was more pro Apple I'm sure you would not be trolling .
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

Just have a moan elsewhere and move along. You have nothing of sense to sense to say.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Déjà vu feeling needed to know you would turn up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You're not pro-apple, but you do seem to spend a lot of time talking about them. You've even managed to bring it up now, in a thread that has nothing to do with them.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a developer myself and while theres been a lot of speculation about just how Flappy Birds became so successful I have to admit it is very addictive trying to beat your own score! So however he managed it well done to him!

Yes I'm a developer as well.

'Flappy Birds' is incredibly simple but it works on the basis of being a bit silly and simple but annoyingly addictive.

The control system works perfectly for touch screen and there is only one click to re-start the game, which makes it easy for the 'just one more go' thus amplifying it's addictive nature.

It's kind of the app equivalent of a novelty but catchy 3 chord pop song getting to number 1 in the music charts.