Older games being updated to HD

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I understand it must be difficult for games developers to come up with new ideas but is updating older games to HD welcome in the gaming world or does it just show that it's become stale ?. Imo, modern games look fantastic but where's the game play gone ?. There are very few games nowadays that I return to time after time once completed, so will these HD remakes/updates be welcomed ?.

Thanks for all/any replies.

Ian* long time gamer

Comments

• djpakredjpakre Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Personally I think there is a market for older games being updated in HD. Especially the HD collections. Specifically Jak & Daxter HD, R&C HD and Sly HD. They were brilliant when the were first knocking about.

Above are the ones that work. Especially for me, I'm 25, so they were a big part of my PS2 gaming as a teen.

Only one reason I can see not to release Remakes/Updates? The AWFUL Tony Hawks PS HD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They open the doors to knew fans on PS2 i'd never played Jak & Daxter, R&C and Sly but once they announced a HD classics collection of the three i instantly knew that they must be good or why would they be remastered so i took the plunge and i like them

As with most things though i you think it's unnecessary they nobody is going to force you to pay attention to them
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    I think the halo Hd remake is the only true Hd remake with everything looking different
    Ive had the metal gear and devil may cry 1's and while metal gear has always looked amazing they just look the same but are avaible on 360 etc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    They open the doors to knew fans on PS2 i'd never played Jak & Daxter, R&C and Sly but once they announced a HD classics collection of the three i instantly knew that they must be good or why would they be remastered so i took the plunge and i like them

As with most things though i you think it's unnecessary they nobody is going to force you to pay attention to them

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not saying it's not worth it but isn't it just a case of 'We've ran out of ideas so lets go back to the good old games and just update them to HD and hope gamer's accept it' or do gamer's really want these remakes ?.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they're a good thing. Keep in mind a lot of the HD versions are released as fans campaign for them. I think they also give a lot of great games that didn't do so well, but generated a lot of word of mouth praise, a much deserved second shot (ie. Jet Set Radio, Rez, Okami, Ico etc.).
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Metal Gear Solid HD Collection was excellent. Superb value for money.
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a free game on steam called "black mesa" which is the most of the original Half life, but with much improved graphics (HD)
    Some gameplay....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBNtWmv1PjQ
  • BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The lack of backwards compatibility in modern consoles is part of the reason, but I would agree that a lack of good design and ideas is also part of the problem too.

I really struggle to think of what games could be considered "modern classics" in the current console generation. On PS3 there's MGS4, Valkyria Chronicles, any of the Uncharted series but the rest?

But if I think over the previous two generations, there are a LOT of games that I would go back to again and again and again. I make a point of playing through MGS, seeing all of the endings and easter eggs, once per year. That game never fails to draw me in; the same with any of the Oddworld games.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I definitely like to see Final Fantasy 7 get a HD remake.
  • vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is without doubt the most asked game to be remade or have a HD upgrade... will it happen? Unlikely unless you have the PC version.

I do think it is a good idea but only if the demand is there and it doesn't become the in thing for companies to do. By that meaning they focus more on remakes than coming up with new games and new stories etc.
  • NiueNiue Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I would love for the original three Spyro The Dragon Playstation series to be remade in HD, especially the third one, (Year Of The Dragon). Also, if they remade Spyro Enter The Dragonfly in HD, it would give them a chance to fix the rough edges that the game had the first time round, and add the extra levels that were originally rumoured for the game, but got dropped from the game.
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Id love to see some really old games. amiga/c64 period, used as a basis for a full length game.
    'Mercenary' on the amiga for eg, wire frame at the time..Love to see this in full HD modern graphics. The amiga game only took about 15 mins to cpmplete...so they could use that as the intro maybe.
  • Darksonic222Darksonic222 Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Can't wait for Hitman hd trilogy
  • soransoran Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vampirek wrote: »
    It is without doubt the most asked game to be remade or have a HD upgrade... will it happen? Unlikely unless you have the PC version.

I do think it is a good idea but only if the demand is there and it doesn't become the in thing for companies to do. By that meaning they focus more on remakes than coming up with new games and new stories etc.

Well they did a pretty impressive tech demo of a HD FF7 for the PS3 a few years ago, enjoy :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVCYy8C5Av4
  • DSWNSMDSWNSM Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love these re-releases of games.

I think i would lose it if Shenmue 1 and 2 got a HD remake.
  • McLovin85McLovin85 Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they're done properly then they are fantastic. Look at Tony Hawks HD for example - looks stunning, plays like a new gen game but still giving that nostalgic feeling at the same time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Metal Gear Solid HD Collection was excellent. Superb value for money.

Agreed. I loved playing 2 and 3 again in HD.