Hollyoaks general discussion (Part 10)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RiDsTeR wrote: »
    Brendan, Mitzeee, George, India, Texas, Dodger etc ...

I didn't hate any of them when they first came into the show (granted I wasn't watching it when India arrived) but I've never really changed my opinion on any character. I've never liked Sinead, I still don't. I've always found Ruby annoying - I still do. I always liked George - I like him even more

I just don't see how they can change people's opinions on Maddie. I also think the character, being as dull and flat as many think she is, is easy to hate so much as she represents exactly what a lot of people don't like about the show at the moment. And disassociating a seemingly superficial and unlikable character from that, I'm fairly certain, will prove very difficult

The Maddie-bashing may sound like a stuck record, but so does HO at the moment and until there's more to discuss.. well at least it keeps the thread active
  • StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    Another good performance by Jorgie Porter on DOI, score of 24 - highest of anyone yet. Good on her! I have to say I prefered her earlier performances but obviously the judges disagree. I think she might win ya know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love to see Jorgie perform again, she's amazing on the ice but they keep leaving her till last and Top Gear starts at 8 so I have to keep catching it online lol
    Forum Member
    iShum wrote: »
    I'd love to see Jorgie perform again, she's amazing on the ice but they keep leaving her till last and Top Gear starts at 8 so I have to keep catching it online lol

I know! I'm only watching it for her so I have to keep sitting through the whole thing!!! Also i'm so annoyed by ITVs shameless promotion of Corrie and Emmerdale when the actors from those come on and you get no mention of HO!!! :mad:
  • avon942avon942 Posts: 18,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon this time next year we will all love Maddie. It's what Hollyoaks does best. Characters are normally hated for some reason whenever they are introduced.

True......
  • vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True.

I actually didn't like Hannah, Nancy, Justin, Steph, The Twins, Rhys, Amy, Darren or any of the McQueens when they came into it.

Nancy, Steph and Jacqui are my fave all timers.

I just have an inkling Jorgies going to leave this year.
    Forum Member
    vkmax wrote: »
    True.

I actually didn't like Hannah, Nancy, Justin, Steph, The Twins, Rhys, Amy, Darren or any of the McQueens when they came into it.

Nancy, Steph and Jacqui are my fave all timers.

I just have an inkling Jorgies going to leave this year.

Possible yes, she's already getting offers from several mags and promotional companies, it won't be long til she starts getting other tv interest. Its often a tactical move made by soap stars before they leave to enhance their profile. I'd say at this point she's going to come away with all the sexiest female awards anyway, when Chris Fountain did it he got best actor at the soap awards despite having a quiet-ish time preceeding that. Her profile is already on the rise so it would be a good time for her to go but i hope she doesn't.
  • ReoReo Posts: 8,638
    Forum Member
    Giving characters a chance is fair enough, but she has been around for months and has been such a shallow character that has only changed for the worse, if that was ever possible. I'm not going to wait months and months to like a character when that character is currently extremely unlikeable, vile and manipulative and why should I have to wait months or even years (how long was it until Steph was nice?) to like this character? And they can't expect her behaviour to be justified when they give her a sob story, why should I ever feel sorry for her after the way she has treated others?

There are limits, sob stories can only cover so much, some things can't be justified and I think Maddie's treatment of others is one of those things. I think it says something when most people think that to get rid of a couple of teens would make the show so much better and Maddie is one of those teens.

But love or hate her the teens aside, it's time they went on a break, they have had way too much screen time this year and it has been non-stop, they also have had the most time of each episode. There are other character stories which need to be told, are we really going to sit through another month of the teens? They are going to be in it until at least Valentines and probably longer.
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 23,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something from another thread which I haven't seen before - the Hollyoaks set:
    Due to Hollyoaks expanding into former Brookside and Grange Hill areas over the last few years, the set isn't very coherent and is spread out in several different locations within Lime Pictures. Here's a rough image I uploaded a while ago in one of the Hollyoaks threads, with some key locations pointed out.

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/2603/limesets.jpg

* The SU bar in Hollyoaks used to be the bar in Brookside
    * Grange Hill is now Hollyoaks High School.
    * The Brookside Petrol station is still standing, and burnt out from the Helicopter crash storyline in 2002. It is hidden by a fake wall in Hollyoaks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reo wrote: »
    Giving characters a chance is fair enough, but she has been around for months and has been such a shallow character that has only changed for the worse, if that was ever possible. I'm not going to wait months and months to like a character when that character is currently extremely unlikeable, vile and manipulative and why should I have to wait months or even years (how long was it until Steph was nice?) to like this character? And they can't expect her behaviour to be justified when they give her a sob story, why should I ever feel sorry for her after the way she has treated others?

There are limits, sob stories can only cover so much, some things can't be justified and I think Maddie's treatment of others is one of those things. I think it says something when most people think that to get rid of a couple of teens would make the show so much better and Maddie is one of those teens.

But love or hate her the teens aside, it's time they went on a break, they have had way too much screen time this year and it has been non-stop, they also have had the most time of each episode. There are other character stories which need to be told, are we really going to sit through another month of the teens? They are going to be in it until at least Valentines and probably longer.

Well George's storylines continue after valentines week but the may not include all the teens!

Maddie has never had a sob story has she?
    Forum Member
    Possible yes, she's already getting offers from several mags and promotional companies, it won't be long til she starts getting other tv interest. Its often a tactical move made by soap stars before they leave to enhance their profile. I'd say at this point she's going to come away with all the sexiest female awards anyway, when Chris Fountain did it he got best actor at the soap awards despite having a quiet-ish time preceeding that. Her profile is already on the rise so it would be a good time for her to go but i hope she doesn't.

She and Will were awful and she wasn't doing much before that, I don't see what they can do with her character, who at the moment is doing absolutely nothing, maybe something with Joel? I would have thought HOs would give her some good storylines after DOI to try and bring in some new viewers.

But whenever she does leave, I hope it is with Calvin's murder coming back to haunt her with a police investigation over a good 3-4 months with her going on the run, could be good drama
  • Ready Steady GoReady Steady Go Posts: 39,592
    Forum Member
    avon942 wrote: »
    It was suggested that she never got any affection from her parents - I think she said she used to go round to Tilly's house and was jealous of her family.
    Forum Member
    Well George's storylines continue after valentines week but the may not include all the teens!

If they bring back Phoebe, Deena and that guy it would be brilliant.. A one episode storyline was weak! That should have lasted months.

No, she hasn't, but if they are going to try and get viewers to feel sorry for her and accept, forgive and forget her vile behaviour it will probably be with some sob story and I think she is too far gone for viewers to accept the sob story.
    Forum Member
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Something from another thread which I haven't seen before - the Hollyoaks set:

Ouu! thats cool, you must be able to see that on google street maps.
    Forum Member
    If they bring back Phoebe, Deena and that guy it would be brilliant.. A one episode storyline was weak! That should have lasted months.

No, she hasn't, but if they are going to try and get viewers to feel sorry for her and accept, forgive and forget her vile behaviour it will probably be with some sob story and I think she is too far gone for viewers to accept the sob story.

Gone too far? Don't you think you're being OTT? She's being a bitch but she's not doing what Ruby done a year ago and bullied her best friend and ex-boyfriend. She's not done what Brendan did and beat up his boyfriend. She's not cheated on every boyfriend she's ever had remorsely like Mercedes. The audience are perfectly willing to get past all that. She's being underhandly mean to Ruby, yes. She's not the flippin anti-christ.
  • Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I reckon this time next year we will all love Maddie. It's what Hollyoaks does best. Characters are normally hated for some reason whenever they are introduced.

Maddie is the new Ruby. A few months ago people were saying she was irredeemable, now she's liked by many.

Personally, I still don't like either. So much so, I've avoided this thread all weekend and when it's been all about Maddie and/or the teens. I seriously don't care.

On a completely different note, Darren's perfect wedding is looking unlikely going by SoapScoop. They'll make it down the aisle though, they always in soaps, not always happy, but they still do :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was suggested that she never got any affection from her parents - I think she said she used to go round to Tilley's house and was jealous of her family.

Yeah I remember that it was on her date with callum. I think she said when she went to Tilly's house her stomache would knot with jealousy and sometimes she could kill for a hug! Really what she said was quite ambiguous as what she said could mean or happen because of a whole range of things!

I personally wouldn't call it a sob story though!
    Forum Member
    She and Will were awful and she wasn't doing much before that, I don't see what they can do with her character, who at the moment is doing absolutely nothing, maybe something with Joel? I would have thought HOs would give her some good storylines after DOI to try and bring in some new viewers.

But whenever she does leave, I hope it is with Calvin's murder coming back to haunt her with a police investigation over a good 3-4 months with her going on the run, could be good drama

I thought her and Will were ok really, I knew they wouldn't work as a couple from the get go but I didn't dislike it. They will put her with Joel for sure and that's bound to bring her some drama because he's a bit of a bad 'un.

I think her exit story will definately revolve around Calvin's murder and I do wish they'd do something with that anyway because I thought Jorgie Porter was excellent in the aftermath of that at the time.
    Forum Member
    Yeah I remember that it was on her date with callum. I think she said when she went to Tilly's house her stomache would knot with jealousy and sometimes she could kill for a hug! Really what she said was quite ambiguous as what she said could mean or happen because of a whole range of things!

I personally wouldn't call it a sob story though!
    No, luckily she never used it to excuse her actions. I'd actually be up for finding out more about her family life. It would be good to see her away from her friends.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,904
    Forum Member
    It's funny watching Ste and Amy try to out-flirt each other with Rhys's new lodger!!
    Forum Member
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    Maddie is the new Ruby. A few months ago people were saying she was irredeemable, now she's liked by many.

Personally, I still don't like either. So much so, I've avoided this thread all weekend and when it's been all about Maddie and/or the teens. I seriously don't care.

On a completely different note, Darren's perfect wedding is looking unlikely going by SoapScoop. They'll make it down the aisle though, they always in soaps, not always happy, but they still do :D

Me too, i'm so bored of the constant chat about it. I actually don't dislike the majority of them and although I don't like who Maddie is at the moment, I'm hoping they will make her likeable again but I don't even want to read this thread half the time because it goes round and round on the same things and the hyperbole is getting silly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, luckily she never used it to excuse her actions. I'd actually be up for finding out more about her family life. It would be good to see her away from her friends.

Agreed!:)
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    It's funny watching Ste and Amy try to out-flirt each other with Rhys's new lodger!!
    Even though it was filler, I enjoyed the whole dinner party thing with them all! It was really well played, not just by them but by Claire Cooper and Andy Moss too. They always seem to make even the most mundane stuff shine.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,904
    Forum Member
    Even though it was filler, I enjoyed the whole dinner party thing with them all! It was really well played, not just by them but by Claire Cooper and Andy Moss too. They always seem to make even the most mundane stuff shine.

I agree. They have real talent and bounce off each other so well.
    Rhys does fantastic 'jibs' (facial expressions):D
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,607
    Forum Member
    Another good performance by Jorgie Porter on DOI, score of 24 - highest of anyone yet. Good on her! I have to say I prefered her earlier performances but obviously the judges disagree. I think she might win ya know.
    She has done very well so far but I agree with you, I didn't think she was as good tonight. It didn't flow smoothly. She's not in any trouble, though. She's certainly in with a chance of winning although, realistically, if, as expected, it ends up being between her and Matthew Wolfenden, he is likely to get more votes. He is at least as good as she is and Emmerdale has a far bigger audience than Hollyoaks.
This discussion has been closed.