What can be done to promote the heritage and culture of Wales?

fawltytowers93fawltytowers93 Posts: 1,872
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Any Welshies out here.....What do you think?

Serious question here, don't want any childish/joke answers

Comments

• Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    We should stop banging on about the "language" (hides behind stone wall) and actually promote the beautiful beaches (regularly voted some of the best in Europe if not the World), the fantastic Castles (I have at least 7 castles within 20 mins of me) and the great scenery and mountains.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted :D
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    You could start by not referring to us as "Welshies", especially if you don't want 'childish/joke answers'.
    Forum Member
    We should stop banging on about the "language" (hides behind stone wall) and actually promote the beautiful beaches (regularly voted some of the best in Europe if not the World), the fantastic Castles (I have at least 7 castles within 20 mins of me) and the great scenery and mountains.

Isn't the "language" rather a large part of the heritage and culture??

I don't speak it myself, but I'm all for the language being everywhere. Should we repace the language with tanning salons?
  • macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any Welshies out here.....What do you think?

Serious question here, don't want any childish/joke answers

Are you new here?
    Forum Member
    Yes the language is part of the culture, but it is forced on to us, if there is a need it will survive if not it will die. We have so much other things to offer, I doubt anyone goes on holiday anywhere because of the language.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    North or South Wales? Both? I suspect the solutions will be different for each. There appears to be a distinct north/south split for Wales that's at least as strong as that for England.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Take everyone on a walking tour of Mumbles.
  • moondewmoondew Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Wales, I've been there loads of times. One thing that's struck me though is that there doesn't seem to be a Welsh culture as such, there isn't anything that can be said to be unique about Wales, and not found in England, apart from male voice choirs. There isn't even a drink which is Welsh, like, for instance, Scotch whisky or French champagne.

Perhaps I'm wrong though - maybe FMs who live there can come up with some examples.
    Forum Member
    Off the top of my head I can't think of a "Welsh" drink or really a unique food product except maybe "lava bread" which is seaweed.
    Forum Member
    Yes the language is part of the culture, but it is forced on to us, if there is a need it will survive if not it will die. We have so much other things to offer, I doubt anyone goes on holiday anywhere because of the language.

I disagree with it being 'forced' on us. I can choose to ignore it if I wish.
    I'd say a language is an extermely important part of a culture, so it should be preserved, encouraged even. People can, and will, make up their own minds.

If we want to 'promote' Wales, sort the airport out and get it a decent motorway link, or at least a far better rail link.
    Getting people into Wales would be a start.
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Off the top of my head I can't think of a "Welsh" drink or really a unique food product except maybe "lava bread" which is seaweed.

Welsh Black Beef?

I think they could make more of things like the Hay-on Wye and Brecon jazz festival.
    Forum Member

Beer.

There's plenty of new Welsh microbreweries popping up.

Penderyn? A Welsh whisky, vodka and gin are surely curiosities.
  • morganb1611morganb1611 Posts: 458
    Forum Member

Bombay sapphire sources it's water from Lake Vyrnwy if that counts.
    Forum Member
    Yes I know about the drinks but they're not unique or identifiable as "Welsh"

Airport agree, Cardiff is a shambles
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get rid of the malevoicechoirDylanThomasstovepipehatwearingfolkdancingcoalminingfudgeselling visions of Wales we promote and perpetuate whilst chasing the tourist pounds. That's not culture or heritage. That's stereoptyping.

Promote the language. The language is the portal to some of the oldest literature in Europe and some of the greatest poetry and stories in oral and bardic culture. Teach more people to speak Welsh so that they can understand the world their ancestors lived in - the noncomformist tradition, the speeches, the writers, the poets, the battles. Teach people why the castles were built. Make sure they know who Llywelyn ap Iorwerth and Hywel Da and Owain Glyndwr and Nest and Siwan and Daniel Owen and Saunders Lewis were.
    Teach Welsh history in schools. Sod the Tudors and the Home Front. I'm astounded how few people know about the Chartists, or Taliesin or Aneurin or Offa's Dyke or Gwynfor Evans or Hedd Wyn. That's heritage.

Get people listening to Gwibdaith Hen Fran or Maffia Mr Huws, going to see Luned Rhys Parry or Cefyn Burgess exhibitions.Visit Galeri or Ty Siamas. Go to an Eisteddfod. A local one, not the corporate monstrosity the National has become. That's culture.

I'm greatly insulted by Moondew's comment. Wales isn't just some English shire or some backwater where Americanisms have been slow to penetrate. Of course we have a culture - we're just not intent on plastering it all over bloody YouTube and forcing it across the globe so that it can be turned into a touristy gimmick.
    It's all there ready to be explored, but we value it so much that we tend to keep it to ourselves.
    Forum Member
    I agree Welsh history is neglected in schools even schools in Wales
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:cool: Then you've never tried a `Bakestone` as they are known in Wales (Welsh cakes) to the English...very more-ish, or a tot of `Penderyn Welsh whisky` not to mention the 40 breweries, or their fine bottled Welsh spring water

(http://easyteas.co.uk/grandmas-bakestones-welsh-cakes/
    Forum Member
    ecckles wrote: »
    :cool: Then you've never tried a `Bakestone` as they are known in Wales (welsh cakes) to the English...very moreish or a tot of `Penderyn Welsh whisky` not to mention the 40breweries

(http://easyteas.co.uk/grandmas-bakestones-welsh-cakes/

I got annoyed when Jay Rayner was presented with Welsh Cakes on one of those competitive cooking shows and called them "tea cakes". Moron.
    Forum Member
    Of course I've tried a "Bakestone" but again not a uniquely Welsh thing and neither are any of of the drinks mentioned, please keep up, If they were they could get EU Protected Status like "Cornish Pasties"
    Forum Member
    eluf38 wrote: »
    Get rid of the malevoicechoirDylanThomasstovepipehatwearingfolkdancingcoalminingfudgeselling visions of Wales we promote and perpetuate whilst chasing the tourist pounds. That's not culture or heritage. That's stereoptyping.

Promote the language. The language is the portal to some of the oldest literature in Europe and some of the greatest poetry and stories in oral and bardic culture. Teach more people to speak Welsh so that they can understand the world their ancestors lived in - the noncomformist tradition, the speeches, the writers, the poets, the battles. Teach people why the castles were built. Make sure they know who Llywelyn ap Iorwerth and Hywel Da and Owain Glyndwr and Nest and Siwan and Daniel Owen and Saunders Lewis were.
    Teach Welsh history in schools. Sod the Tudors and the Home Front. I'm astounded how few people know about the Chartists, or Taliesin or Aneurin or Offa's Dyke or Gwynfor Evans or Hedd Wyn. That's heritage.

Get people listening to Gwibdaith Hen Fran or Maffia Mr Huws, going to see Luned Rhys Parry or Cefyn Burgess exhibitions.Visit Galeri or Ty Siamas. Go to an Eisteddfod. A local one, not the corporate monstrosity the National has become. That's culture.

I'm greatly insulted by Moondew's comment. Wales isn't just some English shire or some backwater where Americanisms have been slow to penetrate. Of course we have a culture - we're just not intent on plastering it all over bloody YouTube and forcing it across the globe so that it can be turned into a touristy gimmick.
    It's all there ready to be explored, but we value it so much that we tend to keep it to ourselves.

Cleary he didn't notice the language!

Actually, talking of plastering it all over youtube, I'm of the opinion that most Welsh people feel so confident and assured of their own culture, which is why we don't plaster it all over youtube, or feel the need to shout about it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course I've tried a "Bakestone" but again not a uniquely Welsh thing and neither are any of of the drinks mentioned, please keep up, If they were they could get EU Protected Status like "Cornish Pasties"

Have you any idea how many years it can take to get
    `EU protected Status`...and what `True Welshman` would even care about the EU red tape
    My great\great\great grandmother was making `Bakestones` long before you & the EU were even thought of
    Forum Member
    Ecckles I think you've missed the point, You stated clearly "I've never tried a "Bakestone" you seemed to miss the fact I live in Wales and was born in Wales, so of course I have. My point is we're trying to think of a Welsh Drink (not beer/vodka made in Wales) or food product that is easily indentified as Welsh
  • moondewmoondew Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ecckles I think you've missed the point, You stated clearly "I've never tried a "Bakestone" you seemed to miss the fact I live in Wales and was born in Wales, so of course I have. My point is we're trying to think of a Welsh Drink (not beer/vodka made in Wales) or food product that is easily identified as Welsh

I've thought of one - bara brith, a Welsh fruit loaf.
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ecckles I think you've missed the point, You stated clearly "I've never tried a "Bakestone" you seemed to miss the fact I live in Wales and was born in Wales, so of course I have. My point is we're trying to think of a Welsh Drink (not beer/vodka made in Wales) or food product that is easily indentified as Welsh

If we're talking about food, I don't think Wales has anything which marks it out as uniquely Welsh - but then again there doesn't seem to be such a thing as Scottish or English food either.
    There are typical British foods, with lots of regional variations, e.g. Eccles / Chorley / Sad cakes are all variations on a raisin-filled pastry and I'm sure there are loads of other regional varieties.

Welsh cawl can also be identified as stew, lamb broth, lobscouse or (betraying my Lancashire roots) 'tato hash. Put some pastry on it and it becomes hot pot.
    Say lamb cawl and you think straight away of Wales - but it's served all over Britain, just under a different name.

Oggie / Cornish pasty.... again, variations on a meat and veg filled pastry.

I think it's interesting that Welsh foods have a lot in common with food recognised as being from northern England, probably owing to shared industries during the industrial revolution. Mining and heavy industry needed filling yet cheap food - hence the Yorkshire puds, eccles cakes, cacenni cri (or bakestones), bara brith, dumplings, hot pot, Bakewell tart etc. Starch and stodge to keep the miners and mill workers going all day.