Abba Vs Queen

adamlee19adamlee19 Posts: 632
Forum Member
✭✭
sadley i dont know how to do a poll but in your views who is better and why do you think that.

Im going for Queen simpley cause not only did they make amazing songs but when they was on tour it was just wow they made the crowed feel involve. I like ABBA but when they was in tour it just looked like they was board.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think for me Abba just edges it on the singles front, though they were both great singles bands. However, Queen made great albums too, whereas Abba's are mostly quite patchy. And as you said, Queen were renowned for being a great live act.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abba..... queen comes nowhere near (in terms of composing songs, benny/bjorn two of the all time greats) although their popularity was possibly larger in the uk.

personally too abba... cant stand queens faux theatricals, however, freedie was possibly the greatest ever frontman.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ABBA.

Both groups had very different musical agendas and can't be obviously compared. However, as I've said elsewhere, ABBA were masters at the art of writing and performing perfect pop songs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The VIsitors>>>>>>>>

Basically.....such a very powerfully haunting song and very futuristic in sound and scope <3

I do love Freddie Mercury however.....but for me....Abba
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ABBA were probably the best pop act of the seventies and one of the best of all time, while Queen were nothing more than a very good "Music Hall" act (imo, of course).
  • ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely ABBA.

ABBA's songs were so varied.
    They started off with the Glam Rock sound with songs like So Long, Bang a Boomerang and Rock Me, they had ballads like Fernando, great pop songs like Money money money and Take a chance on me, disco inspired songs like Summer Night City, Voulez-Vous and If It wasn't for the nights. They even dabbled (very very slightly) with synth pop on albums like Super Trouper and The Visitors for eg songs like Me and I, Head Over Heels and Under Attack although I wouldn't really describe it as synth pop but you can definitely hear the synths there.

They literally went through nearly every different style of music with the exception of Rap (thank god). What's more I don't think Abba ever had ONE duff single. In some ways they were probably the best band ever.

When it comes to melody alone I don't think there has ever been one band that comes close to ABBA.
  • manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    embryo wrote: »
    I think for me Abba just edges it on the singles front, though they were both great singles bands. However, Queen made great albums too, whereas Abba's are mostly quite patchy. And as you said, Queen were renowned for being a great live act.

I'd say it was the other way round as regards albums. Most of Abba's were great but a lot of Queen's were patchy and worldwide didn't sell anythhing like Abba albums did.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ItsNick wrote: »
    Definitely ABBA.

ABBA's songs were so varied.
    They started off with the Glam Rock sound with songs like So Long, Bang a Boomerang and Rock Me, they had ballads like Fernando, great pop songs like Money money money and Take a chance on me, disco inspired songs like Summer Night City, Voulez-Vous and If It wasn't for the nights. They even dabbled (very very slightly) with synth pop on albums like Super Trouper and The Visitors for eg songs like Me and I, Head Over Heels and Under Attack although I wouldn't really describe it as synth pop but you can definitely hear the synths there.

They literally went through nearly every different style of music with the exception of Rap (thank god). What's more I don't think Abba ever had ONE duff single. In some ways they were probably the best band ever.

When it comes to melody alone I don't think there has ever been one band that comes close to ABBA.

You've basically said what I wanted to. There was some folk stuff in their earliest songs and a bit of country. Very varied as you say. The only pop act with such high pop sensibilities are the Pet Shop Boys.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This must be a candidate for the most stupid thread ever posted. Either that or a sense of humour quite out with my own.
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next thread who is better Madonna or Metallica, how can you compare two totally different groups?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    Next thread who is better Madonna or Metallica, how can you compare two totally different groups?

You can't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    You can't.

i could ;)
  • CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's better to compare Abba to Fleetwood Mac and Queen to Deep Purple or something, the comparison you made doesn't really fit.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's better to compare Abba to Fleetwood Mac and Queen to Deep Purple or something, the comparison you made doesn't really fit.

Okay, in my oh so very humble opinion:-

ABBA > Rumours era (and later) Fleetwood Mac
    Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac > ABBA

Deep Purple > Queen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This must be a candidate for the most stupid thread ever posted. Either that or a sense of humour quite out with my own.

why?.... i see no reason why two great acts from the 70's and 80's cannot be compared. they both had a varying degree of impact on our music , both popular then and now. sure they were both differing styles (but not that much), but taking that into account you can draw a reasonable comparison, both starting out in 74 and both courting the singles chart and although abba split long before queen, queens golden era was all but finished soon after .
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the time, Queen.
    Now in hindsight, I'd have to say ABBA.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    I have to say that on a board like this which is so heavily influenced to cheap pop, its obvious who was going to win this little poll. Queen were never about making "hum-able" melodies. Bohemian Rhapsody doesn't exactly roll off the tongue as a tune, but its a still a work of genius. And put that alongside about 25 of their other songs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Queen
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why?.... i see no reason why two great acts from the 70's and 80's cannot be compared. they both had a varying degree of impact on our music , both popular then and now. sure they were both differing styles (but not that much), but taking that into account you can draw a reasonable comparison, both starting out in 74 and both courting the singles chart and although abba split long before queen, queens golden era was all but finished soon after .

Yes, they both had an influence on UK pop but this is presented as who is better? Chalk or Cheese...and I choose both!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, they both had an influence on UK pop but this is presented as who is better? Chalk or Cheese...and I choose both!

Cheeese all day long
    :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aye both very different in what they do but ultimately what they do have in common is that they make some great music! Queen easy steals it for me they are untouchable in my eyes!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

its the same with all these 'who is best' questions though...there are two answers, a personal preferance, and a realistic unbiased reality. like... to a westlife fan they are/were the best thing ever, in reality their impact and influence on music is practically non existant.

thats why id suggest that abba are 'better' from a realistic pov, as bjorn/benny have the edge of queen in terms of composition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say that on a board like this which is so heavily influenced to cheap pop, its obvious who was going to win this little poll. Queen were never about making "hum-able" melodies. Bohemian Rhapsody doesn't exactly roll off the tongue as a tune, but its a still a work of genius. And put that alongside about 25 of their other songs.

really?... you dont think 'dont stop me now', 'we will rock you', 'radio ga ga', etc etc etc are not 'hum-able' ?

ok bo rap isnt, but neither is 'the name of the game' . tbh i cant see much difference between abba and queen's material except one is classy pop, the others pop-rock.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ABBA for me
  • Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my opinion Queen are the worst band of all time.

Therefore Abba are better by default. And the fact that they wrote some damn good pop tunes.