Three to cease trading with Carphone Warehouse

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
Three will cease trading with Carphone Warehouse from 4 December 2013. They did the same with Phones4U in April 2012.

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/27187/Three_to_cease_trading_with_Carphone_Warehouse.aspx#sthash.WmAywxAq.dpuf

Comments

• jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Three really are going solo.

No quidco/tcb
    No CPW
    No P4U
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That isn't to surprising honestly as they want you go directly to them. But also because Three are opening more and more retail shops so they likely think they don't need CW. They some of the cheapest contracts and best value ones around and offering free LTE expect they think this will help them move forward better.

CW will hate losing there custom if customers numbers keep increasing. Three likely think there offers are good enough and just need greater brand awareness. Bit of advertising wouldn't go a miss you often see EE and Vodafone not so much O2 as others but rarely see Three at all. Free LTE is likely going gain them a fair amount of customers by this time next year.

Jabba not sure P4U was for same reason as O2 have cut of new contracts through them as well. P4U are just terrible I've never known a business like them.
  • corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three's word of mouth is so strong right now, they probably don't need advertising.
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, and while they're still the "smallest" network in terms of customers, the incumbents (well, two of them) did have a 20-year headstart.

As I recall 3 has more customers now than Vodafone and O2 combined when 3 was launched.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a pity. I would never take a contract out where the phone has a sim lock. But at the moment I can only see myself buying sim free phones anyway. I do have a Three PAYG sim though and I may make this my main number.
  • japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    Indeed, and while they're still the "smallest" network in terms of customers, the incumbents (well, two of them) did have a 20-year headstart.

As I recall 3 has more customers now than Vodafone and O2 combined when 3 was launched.
    Nowhere near. When Three launched Vodafone and O2 had about 12 million active customers each. Three now have ~8 million active. In fact O2 have added more customers to their total than Three since three launched.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bleh, you're right, I have no idea where the numbers in my head came from :-/

Major brain fart there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    corf wrote: »
    Three's word of mouth is so strong right now, they probably don't need advertising.

The only word of mouth I hear about three is how bad their signal is in school. Meanwhile O2 and Vodafone have full bars.
  • daveyfsdaveyfs Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kierankay wrote: »
    The only word of mouth I hear about three is how bad their signal is in school. Meanwhile O2 and Vodafone have full bars.

Probably not 3G though.
    Forum Member
    daveyfs wrote: »
    Probably not 3G though.

As I live in a city (Glasgow) there is 3G everywhere here on O2 and VF, there is even 4G available.
  • icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But full bars mean exactly naff all .
  • Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,159
    Forum Member
    ic wrote: »
    But full bars mean exactly naff all .

... But a full display of signal bars looks good on your phone, why settle with two bars from three, when you can get all five with O2 or Vodafone regardless of the fact that the full bars represent 2G, and threes pitiful two bars are DC HSDPA+
    Forum Member
    Richard_T wrote: »
    ... But a full display of signal bars looks good on your phone, why settle with two bars from three, when you can get all five with O2 or Vodafone regardless of the fact that the full bars represent 2G, and threes pitiful two bars are DC HSDPA+
    Actually it's full Bars HSDPA+ O2 and Vodafone and 1 bar HSDPA+ on Three if your lucky or in certain parts of the building no signal at all.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually it's full Bars HSDPA+ O2 and Vodafone and 1 bar HSDPA+ on Three if your lucky or in certain parts of the building no signal at all.

and the most funny thing about that is you'll get better call quality on Three 1 bar then you would on O2's or Vodafone's 5 bars thanks to HD voice. You'd most likely get better data speeds on Three's 1 bar too. :cool:
  • neil79neil79 Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No signal whatsoever from 3 where I live. All the other networks have a decent signal. 3 are too expensive for such a patchy network.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is this mysterious HSDPA+ I keep hearing about. Surely you mean HSPA+
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Until they scream from the roof tops they have UK call centres '3' will never get my business. The End.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neil79 wrote: »
    No signal whatsoever from 3 where I live. All the other networks have a decent signal. 3 are too expensive for such a patchy network.

Three have 98% 3G coverage, with EE having a tiny bit more, we've just found out Vodafone have the least coverage at less than 90%, O2 at around 90% (don't believe it) so it is hardly a patchy network.
    Forum Member
    Three have 98% 3G coverage, with EE having a tiny bit more, we've just found out Vodafone have the least coverage at less than 90%, O2 at around 90% (don't believe it) so it is hardly a patchy network.

O2 achieved 90% population coverage this time last year. (November 2012)
  • ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »

Even if this was true, times were different back then. Smartphones are very popular these days and affordable and that's helped Three to grow it's customer base.
    Richard_T wrote: »

I'd rather have a low signal on Three than a full signal on O2/Vodafone/EE. Where Three does have a signal, regardless of strength in terms of bars, it's very stable. I can still get a decent data connection (enough to stream a YouTube video) on 1-2 bars with Three.
    Quackers wrote: »
    Until they scream from the roof tops they have UK call centres '3' will never get my business. The End.

This is a good point. There CS is rubbish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just checked the 3 coverage map where I live and they clearly have poor indoor coverage. I don't want to freeze my bits off to send a text or make a phone call.

3 are too expensive so even if their coverage improved they would need to offer me a better deal.
  • thebennyboythebennyboy Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Just checked the 3 coverage map where I live and they clearly have poor indoor coverage. I don't want to freeze my bits off to send a text or make a phone call.

3 are too expensive so even if their coverage improved they would need to offer me a better deal.

If you think Three is expensive then your a complete tight arse. You should take a look at EE then decide if Three is expensive :D
    Forum Member

3 are too expensive

I agre... Wait! What?????
    Forum Member

I would say they are the cheapest out of all networks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you think Three is expensive then your a complete tight arse. You should take a look at EE then decide if Three is expensive :D

I use Giffgaff :D