Why does Australia use a very similar logo design for their version of Freeview?

simpsonspetfoodsimpsonspetfood Posts: 20
Forum Member
The only difference with their logo is that it is more rectangle.

Comments

• lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Similar but there are other differences besides the red background which in the UK version has concave sides reminiscent of a cinema screen whereas the Australian version has convex sides reminiscent of a CRT tube.

The most significant differences are the typeface, the use of a capital F in the UK version and the design of the letter i. In the UK version this looks a bit like a transmission tower with a five pointed star forming the dot. The Australian version is a straight sided rectangle topped by a "star" consisting of four triangles around a central square somewhat like a "square" TV picture.

Much more serious are the UK vendors on "a well known auction site" who use counterfeit versions of both the UK and Australian logo to purport that USB tuner dongles they sell are approved by the DTG.
  • disremberdisrember Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because the aus goverment (and New zealand) brought the copyright to the concept, so they have exactly the same.
  • television2004television2004 Posts: 2,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really is Freeview in Australia and New Zealand. Unlike the UK they do not have any TV licence to pay!
  • N.DeanN.Dean Posts: 1,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really is Freeview in Australia and New Zealand. Unlike the UK they do not have any TV licence to pay!

Although whenever a consumer buys something which is advertised on TV, they will be paying for TV programmes.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do your research. ABC is tax payer subsidised so most Australians do fund it.
  • television2004television2004 Posts: 2,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do your research. ABC is tax payer subsidised so most Australians do fund it.
    What about the rest, If they do not pay tax do they need a licence of course not!
    Read what I wrote!
    They do not pay a TV licence FACT.
    No detector vans. No letters in the post warning you if you do not have a licence we will send the heavy mob round!
    All TV needs funds from somewhere to keep it going.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about the rest, If they do not pay tax do they need a licence of course not!
    Read what I wrote!
    No detector vans. No letters in the post warning you if you do not have a licence we will send the heavy mob round!
    Read what you wrote. You said "That at least TV in Australia is really free" No it is not and that is proved but you were too busy turning this thread in to another TV Licence bashing thread.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I did not know that, thanks for the info
    Although whenever a consumer buys something which is advertised on TV, they will be paying for TV programmes.

Thats what its all about, just like ITV.

I note BBC is spending around four minutes an hour now,advertising itself.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Comparing http://www.freeview.com.au and http://www.freeview.co.uk there seems very little similarity at all, apart from the word "freeview".

The font is different (ours has serifs, they have a sans serif font)

We has a capital F, they do not.

They have wording below "freeview", we do not.

We have white lettering on red, they have red on white.

There is a frame round ours, but not theirs.

Apart from all that, they are identical. :confused:
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    Comparing http://www.freeview.com.au and http://www.freeview.co.uk there seems very little similarity at all, apart from the word "freeview".
    Absolutely, just had a look and don't understand the OP at all, nothing like each other apart from using being spelt the same!
  • lambylamby Posts: 3,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was there over Xmas and new year. I thought they had better free TV sports coverage but its about the same as here. The only advantage is they show some A league games and all home Aussie internationals. They only show overseas cricket when they are in England.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    Read what I wrote!
    Lol, detector vans.:D