Windows 8 Login Screen

is there a way to get Windows 8 to boot to the welcome screen.

I have 3 local accounts and when I switch my pc on it boots into my account and straight to the metro menu.

would like the login screen so I can choose which user wants to login

ty

Comments

• TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you put passwords on the accounts?
  • -Batman--Batman- Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Have you put passwords on the accounts?

no and TBH don't really want to
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    -Batman- wrote: »
    no and TBH don't really want to

If you don't password protect accounts you won't get a choice, it will always boot to the main account and you have to switch once logged on. AFAIK this has always been so, not just in eight.
    They don't need to be fancy passwords, something like 1111, 2222 etc.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    If you don't password protect accounts you won't get a choice, it will always boot to the main account and you have to switch once logged on. AFAIK this has always been so, not just in eight.
    They don't need to be fancy passwords, something like 1111, 2222 etc.

Not true. All versions of Windows since XP have a Welcome screen where you can choose which account to login with, whether they have passwords or not.

I don't know about Windows 8 as I don't use it day to day, but I strongly suspect its the same.
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Not true. All versions of Windows since XP have a Welcome screen where you can choose which account to login with, whether they have passwords or not.

I don't know about Windows 8 as I don't use it day to day, but I strongly suspect its the same.

I stand corrected..sorry, always thought it just booted to the main account without passwords.....Have to admit I've never tried it. :o:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There probably is a way to do it without passwords but I don't know.
    But I do know it should work if you do put passwords on.

You could put a simple password that is the same on all accounts? e.g. 1234
    Forum Member
    Just a thought....Are all the accounts Administrator accounts? If all the accounts have the same rights it may not just boot straight to your main account.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a thought....Are all the accounts Administrator accounts? If all the accounts have the same rights it may not just boot straight to your main account.....

The others should be limited accounts by default.
    Forum Member
    TheBigM wrote: »
    The others should be limited accounts by default.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Unless they are all changed to administrator accounts, won't the only admin account be the one that auto logs on?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, that's what I was thinking. Unless they are all changed to administrator accounts, won't the only admin account be the one that auto logs on?
    Why don't we stop guessing and wait for someone who actually uses Windows 8 to answer?
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Why don't we stop guessing and wait for someone who actually uses Windows 8 to answer?
    Why don't you move on to a thread you can contribute to?
  • Shaun_MurrayShaun_Murray Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    I am a W8 user and have just tried this. What a stupid idea. If you have multiple accounts on your computer you should be able to choose which account you want to load instead of it just loading one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57457967-75/how-to-bypass-the-windows-8-log-in-screen/

You need the second part of this article where you "re-enable" the user and password for each account.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why don't you move on to a thread you can contribute to?

You're welcome.