£1 3 pay as you go sim in poundland

spaceman05spaceman05 Posts: 1,139
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi, will be looking to get my oldest daughter a relatively cheap pay as you go phone for christmas(i know too early to be thinking about christmas already), anyway whilst in poundland yesterday i noticed they was selling 3 sims for a £1 that gave you unlimited data and a fair few minutes and texts when you topped up £15 per month, what i was wondering was if i purchased one of these sims now would the advertised offer still work on it if i dont register it for another 11 months, as this seems a good deal but dont want to buy it if it will be obsolete in 11 months time, and yes i know that coverage in my area for 3 is fine, as i have a 3 contract

Comments

• davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    No guarantee that three will keep their pay as you go deals the same in 11 months time

However why pay £1 when three will happily send you out two sims completely free of charge

https://www.three.co.uk/Support/Free_SIM/Order

EDIT - for some reason the link doesn't work when directly linked from another site. From three's homepage click on store then choose Free Sim which is under the sim plans for phones section
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,594
    Forum Member
    davethorp wrote: »

https://www.three.co.uk/Support/Free_SIM/Order

EDIT - for some reason the link doesn't work when directly linked from another site. From three's homepage click on store then choose Free Sim which is under the sim plans for phones section

Your link works if you copy and then paste it into the address bar.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it amusing that the pound shop charge a pound for something thats free .

SCANDAL :D
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i went into the three shop for a PAYG sim and they also charged me a £1 for it.
    i assume the pound was for an initial £1 top-up, but i wasn't given the option of not paying £1
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Most networks will send you a free sim. You may even be able to get cash back.

But it sounds like you will need a phone too.
  • paddypaddy Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    :)As said before any network will send out free Sims

Can't stand thease bloody pound shops ,they are a con

From the original grumpy old Man !
  • scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    paddy wrote: »

Not really I bought FIFA 10 today for a pound.
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @ the OP.

My oldest daughter has a blackberry 9900 and a iPhone 5 and my youngest daughter has a blackberry 9360 and a iPhone 4S (she's only 11). I strongly suspect your oldest daughter would be mortally shamed to have a pay and go phone lol but good luck trying.

Just get her a contract, could you imagine the shame of "topping up" when all of her friends will have contract?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The only time anything is a con is when YOU let yourself be conned.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

the three shop must be a con as well then, as they charged me £1 for a PAYG sim
    Forum Member
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    @ the OP.

My oldest daughter has a blackberry 9900 and a iPhone 5 and my youngest daughter has a blackberry 9360 and a iPhone 4S (she's only 11). I strongly suspect your oldest daughter would be mortally shamed to have a pay and go phone lol but good luck trying.

Just get her a contract, could you imagine the shame of "topping up" when all of her friends will have contract?

Yes the OP. Your definitely needs two £500 contract phones. what were you thinking. it's an important lesson for kids that they just have to ask and things happen. otherwise they will think they have to work for things.

most kids have PAYG phones that i know. if your kid is bothered by that then personally i'd just take it off them.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @ the OP.

You shouldn't judge others by your (lack) of values.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There is no con, the pound shop probably gets the whole pound and the networks are happy to do it.

The networks wouldn't get their sims in the shops otherwise, the idea is the shop gets money for stocking and selling them - they aren't a charity and they won't do it for free.

You can either pick one up when in town for £1 or you can register on the website and wait for it in the post. If you need one on the day or like the convenience of just picking one up when in store then a pound is quite reasonable.
  • modeyinkmodeyink Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @ the OP.

Why do they need two phones each?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    You shouldn't judge others by your (lack) of values.

Off topic mate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    modeyink wrote: »
    Why do they need two phones each?

Questions like that are for PM or the thread gets pulled of topic.
  • modeyinkmodeyink Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Questions like that are for PM or the thread gets pulled of topic.

Mate, you're the one who went off topic. No one asked for opinions on phones or how kids get treated by their peers. You gave an unwarranted opinion anyway, so now others are responding to it.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Off topic mate.

Sorry, when did you become a moderator?

It was on topic and a response to your rather strange comment about payg v contract.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    Sorry, when did you become a moderator?

It was on topic and a response to your rather strange comment about payg v contract.

Cant see why anyone would think your comment was off topic tbh ..... its a 'Discussion' forum isnt it ???
  • spaceman05spaceman05 Posts: 1,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @ the OP.

my oldest will be 12 by the time she gets her first phone, and it most certainly wont be anything as flash as an iphone, but thanks for your input:rolleyes:
  • spaceman05spaceman05 Posts: 1,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Yes the OP. Your definitely needs two £500 contract phones. what were you thinking. it's an important lesson for kids that they just have to ask and things happen. otherwise they will think they have to work for things.

most kids have PAYG phones that i know. if your kid is bothered by that then personally i'd just take it off them.

tell me about it, mind you it is no surprise when kids as young as 8 get to use ipods, imacs and ipads at school these days, you can probably guess what my 2 daughters asked for xmas, hasten to add they never got the apple version but a much cheaper kind that does just as much:p, had to laugh the other week, as my daughter came home and said to me guess what i did for P.E today, I said what did you do and she replied played on the wii, wtf is that all about, when i was at school computers where unheard of and all i had at home was one of those old black ataris lol,
    Forum Member
    spaceman05 wrote: »
    tell me about it, mind you it is no surprise when kids as young as 8 get to use ipods, imacs and ipads at school these days, you can probably guess what my 2 daughters asked for xmas, hasten to add they never got the apple version but a much cheaper kind that does just as much:p, had to laugh the other week, as my daughter came home and said to me guess what i did for P.E today, I said what did you do and she replied played on the wii, wtf is that all about, when i was at school computers where unheard of and all i had at home was one of those old black ataris lol,

it is pretty weird when you see a 6 year old. just firing up the ipad and facetiming someone.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    @ the OP.

Not sure if trolling... or worst parent in the world who uses money to buy their children's happiness... :rolleyes:

OP- It worth looking for cheaper deals on a sim only or different pay as you go package. For example there are sim onlys out there for under £10pm and can be capped. Three have a good one on their website for £7pm at the moment.

Otherwise, look at a cheap pay as you go package from someone like virgin where you can top up £10 and they can use it till they run out (depending on low usage) or they can use it to buy a bundle for the month with texts/calls/data (If they have high usage)

No point spending £500 on a phone, you can get great phones which can do a lot of the things high end phones/kids need for under £100. I would recommend a phone but since you're not buying until november there is no pointbas there will be otherbphones out by thenm
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame the kids won't be brought up to learn how to deal with situations where others have stuff they want and learn it's not just all about having the best gadgets and how superficial that is. I'd rather they grew up knowing it really doesn't matter.

Those things are nice to have, but if the main reason is because they'd feel outdone at school then I don't agree, especially going over the top and spending so much money at a young age.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Agreed Thine Wonk.