Olly: I don't get enough credit

Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/s103/the-x-factor/news/a489993/olly-murs-id-get-more-recognition-if-i-didnt-come-from-x-factor.html
He expressed his belief that he would be considered more credible had he not found fame in The X Factor.
He told Fabulous magazine: "My fans are incredible, but the media and the industry don't give me enough credit because I'm from The X Factor."

He added: "As long as the fan base is growing, eventually the media and the industry will have to realise who I am.

I like Olly, but that doesn't come across in a good way :o

Would he have even found fame without the X Factor :eek:

Comments

• big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    he is spot on, most succesful x factor act
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This sentence isn't very well phrased: "As long as the fan base is growing, eventually the media and the industry will have to realise who I am." Realise "who he is"... kind of sounds a bit conceited.
    I don't think he meant it that way, but he needs to be careful because anyone who doesn't like him will be irked by this type of thing. He sounds like he is taking himself a bit too seriously... I'm not sure that people like that when it comes to pop stars.

Good for him that he is successfull & has many fans, he should enjoy that instead of running after some sort of ellusive recognition. He is setting himself up for disapointment, especially now that he has said he is craving for it.
  • stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    annushka wrote: »
    This sentence isn't very well phrased: "As long as the fan base is growing, eventually the media and the industry will have to realise who I am." Realise "who he is"... kind of sounds a bit conceited.
    I don't think he meant it that way, but he needs to be careful because anyone who doesn't like him will be irked by this type of thing. He sounds like he is taking himself a bit too seriously... I'm not sure that people like that when it comes to pop stars.

Good for him that he is successfull & has many fans, he should enjoy that instead of running after some sort of ellusive recognition. He is setting himself up for disapointment, especially now that he has said he is craving for it.

A friend of a work colleague accidentally bumped into him in a pub and he asked her 'do you know who I am?'. He obviously has issues with recognition.
  • stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    he is spot on, most succesful x factor act

I'd say that title goes to One Direction by quite a large margin.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He comes across as an idiot, then, if that's what he thinks. Olly has been majorly supported by the music industry - radios have played him from day 1, he's been on pretty much every TV show and in every magazine going, and now he's bleating on about not getting enough credit? It's insensitive to all the artists out there who are struggling to break top 40.

And by and large, the media are very good to him. There are a few people who take the piss out of him but the majority of stories you read about him are positive. I expect the main thing he's cut up about is that he doesn't receive artistic recognition from music critics, but the artists who have both commercial and critical success are very rare, and I'm willing to bet that if he had a choice for his next album - critical respect but fewer sales, or the usual reviews and the usual high sales, he'd go for the latter every time.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,766
    Forum Member
    stargirl1 wrote: »

Leona rivals them based on her first album which is the most successful album from an X Factor contestant anywhere in the world.. Olly probably isn't even third.
  • SatanelSatanel Posts: 11,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yikes, comes across as rather arrogant.
  • EndOfSanityEndOfSanity Posts: 15,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Satanel wrote: »
    Yikes, comes across as rather arrogant.

Exactly. I'm not sure whether Olly would have even found fame without The X Factor, in all honesty I don't think he would be this big if it weren't for the publicity he gained by being on The X Factor in the first place.
  • achroachro Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He can take his 5.12 inch penis and go elsewhere.
  • rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member
    He's done very well because he got the right music at the right time pitched with the right image. Vocally he's very weak and has limited ability. He often sings out of tune and is pretty kareoke.

I really can't see any longevity for him in music, once his 'sound' is no longer current, he'll be gone. He's made plenty of money though, so he can't grumble.

The public voted for him to go in week 7 didn't they? If he had gone, he wouldn't have had the opportunities he's had because he ended up the runner up, I suspect.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,104
    Forum Member
    And here was me thinking he'd been damn lucky to get where he is. If I was Olly I'd be counting my blessings and be feeling pretty good about myself. There's been far more talented people on X-Factor who have got nowhere, seems a bit ungrateful.
  • PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    rattie wrote: »
    He's done very well because he got the right music at the right time pitched with the right image. Vocally he's very weak and has limited ability. He often sings out of tune and is pretty kareoke.

I really can't see any longevity for him in music, once his 'sound' is no longer current, he'll be gone. He's made plenty of money though, so he can't grumble.

The public voted for him to go in week 7 didn't they? If he had gone, he wouldn't have had the opportunities he's had because he ended up the runner up, I suspect.

Well obviously he can.....for England:rolleyes:
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't even go shopping around my local Co-op without his damned music belting out in my ears un-solicited. This guy complaining about recognition, he must be deluded. He's actually got far worse in my opinion - over exposure. I mean, in a supermarket! Take him away and slap some sense into his egotistical brain. You got lucky on mediocre talent, and a bit of personality. Nothing else. In 5 years time complain, when you really have been forgotten and are a has been by your early 30's. Which he will be. Saying things like that only hastens the demise of these kind of acts. You can fall from a mighty height extremely rapidly don't forget. Credibility? If you want long term credibility, you go the hard slog way, not the TV entertainment X Factor route. His choice. Now lie in it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He needs to produce some decent music - he hasn't yet.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    He comes across as an idiot, then, if that's what he thinks. Olly has been majorly supported by the music industry - radios have played him from day 1, he's been on pretty much every TV show and in every magazine going, and now he's bleating on about not getting enough credit? It's insensitive to all the artists out there who are struggling to break top 40.

And by and large, the media are very good to him. There are a few people who take the piss out of him but the majority of stories you read about him are positive. I expect the main thing he's cut up about is that he doesn't receive artistic recognition from music critics, but the artists who have both commercial and critical success are very rare, and I'm willing to bet that if he had a choice for his next album - critical respect but fewer sales, or the usual reviews and the usual high sales, he'd go for the latter every time.

~This. and he has said this too often to be saying he has been misquoted
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stargirl1 wrote: »

No one will ever match them so I dont class them as x factor contestants .

Ok I admit I forgot about those boys
  • vagbreathvagbreath Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    achro wrote: »

My bedroom, preferably
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    achro wrote: »

that's quite an exact figure, lolz!! can i tag along next time you use the tape measure? :p:o:o
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Olly Murs: 'I'd get more recognition if I didn't come from X Factor'

wutt, mate? :eek:

you won't be recognised-- not get any recognition-- without XF... period!!!! lolz!! :sleep: :sleep:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »

I agree with this.

The dude gets played over the radio, TV a lot. is that not some sort of recognition??
    He should be greateful. Like you mentioned, many artists do not have the support of radio or tv and they struggle to break the top 40.
  • blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without X Factor he'd never make it,the people who make it without a show like that are normally ridiclously talented/vocally amazing which olly isn't He should just be appreciative as he's cheeky chappy songs just wouldn't be distinctive enough to stand out. X Factor gave him the platform and they still keep giving him the platform year on year, without it he'd be nothing.
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    I think it's not really fair why everyone's being so harsh here.

Olly is perfectly respectful of his roots. He hasn't said anything against the XF. So I don't what you all are talking about in terms of him being disrespectful to the platform which gave him his career.

And also it's a fact that many in the music industry loathe talent show contestants. They're the arrogant ones. Look at Leona - somebody with outrageous vocal talent. And the one year she was so successful, she got nominated for 4 Brit Awards. Did she win any? No. Because the music industry is conceited and arrogant and think of themselves as above the common people and talent show contestants.

It's not Olly's who's conceited, it's the music industry's attitude towards talent show contestants. Anyone who can't see this is naive. Olly is perfectly right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What pills is he on? The media gives him more than enough credit!
  • soulloversoullover Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I

It's not Olly's who's conceited, it's the music industry's attitude towards talent show contestants. Anyone who can't see this is naive. Olly is perfectly right.

But Olly doesn't acknowledge other talent show contestants having a problem with the media, just 'Me, Me, Me' :rolleyes:
    He has had a very lucky start compared to others trying to make it in the industry. Because of XF he's had a huge budget spent on him by a leading management & record company, He also has continued his high profile by being on the XF spin-off programme. Doe she honestly think he's have had a hope in hell of replicating this success without that launch pad?
  • mkirilenkofanmkirilenkofan Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He has done better than I expected him to.........happy Olly? ha!

I think his music is absolute S*** BTW