This "HD Ready" nonsense is misleading, is this TV actually 1080p?

Made a bit of a blunder, in trying to get hold of a cheap 1080 TV, this auction listing has the TV down as having a resolution of "1920x1080" whilst several other sites have it down as either being that or the dreaded "1366 x 768" which I believe is only equivalent to 720p.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141047851387

If the screen doesn't actually offer "1920x1080" then the listing is misleading is it not, I have no idea why I actually went for it, but I had a sinking feeling somehow only when it was too late that it might not actually be that resolution.

Sony Bravia KDL-32EX310

It would still be a step up from the SD CRT I've had for over 10 years, particularly as now the screen will have a PC input and HDMI sockets, so maybe I will stick with it anyway, but have I been stupid enough to actually not get a full HD TV?

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The manual for this TV states it is 1366x768 resolution

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4288091112.pdf

HD Ready says zip all about the screen resolution. All it actually means is that the TV can accept a certain range of resolutions on it's inputs, process them and then display the results on screen. It does not mean it has to display every single pixel of that input signal however.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's 1366 x 768 pixels. On a 32" it will make very little difference to 1920 x 1080. Incidentally HDready1080p indicates a 1920 x 1080 panel.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    Made a bit of a blunder, in trying to get hold of a cheap 1080 TV, this auction listing has the TV down as having a resolution of "1920x1080" whilst several other sites have it down as either being that or the dreaded "1366 x 768" which I believe is only equivalent to 720p.

No - it's not 'equivalent' to anything, it's a 768 pixel panel so displays 768 resolution (regardless of the source).

The 32 is 768 pixel, but the 42 inch model is 1080.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141047851387

If the screen doesn't actually offer "1920x1080" then the listing is misleading is it not, I have no idea why I actually went for it, but I had a sinking feeling somehow only when it was too late that it might not actually be that resolution.

Depends exactly what it says, it accepts 1920x1080 signals, and displays them at it's own resolution.

Sony Bravia KDL-32EX310

It would still be a step up from the SD CRT I've had for over 10 years, particularly as now the screen will have a PC input and HDMI sockets, so maybe I will stick with it anyway, but have I been stupid enough to actually not get a full HD TV?

Not really, it makes absolutely sod all difference :D

A good 768 pixel set will give better pictures than a cheaper 1080 set - and even amongst top sets you need to view from VERY close to be able to tell the difference at all.

The 'only' place where you might see an advantage is using it as a computer monitor, where the extra resolution 'might' be helpful, and of course you're close enough to be able to see it.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    The manual for this TV states it is 1366x768 resolution

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4288091112.pdf

HD Ready says zip all about the screen resolution. All it actually means is that the TV can accept a certain range of resolutions on it's inputs, process them and then display the results on screen. It does not mean it has to display every single pixel of that input signal however.

Thanks for that, I did see that manual. Looks like I should be sending this back then, there isn't a chance that this is a 1080i TV with the full resolution on screen, I could perhaps live with that?

Ought I to leave negative feedback given the listing seems to be misleading?
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that, I did see that manual. Looks like I should be sending this back then, there isn't a chance that this is a 1080i TV with the full resolution on screen, I could perhaps live with that?

As I said above, it makes sod all difference - do you find the picture quality lacking in some way?.

I've just read the page, and it's certainly incorrect and misleading.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The listing quotes a display resolution of 1920x1080 which is incorrect. So you could have a comeback over that.
    Forum Member
    As I said above, it makes sod all difference - do you find the picture quality lacking in some way?.

I've just read the page, and it's certainly incorrect and misleading.

If the listing states "1920 x 1080" then that is what I expect, it's unfair really to expect buyers to have to do a lot of background research before being sure that they will get what is listed, but if I'd done that I wouldn't be in the compromised situation I'm in now. As I have PS3 for games and Blu-Rays, I think I should have the correct TV, having said that most games seem to be 720! I do notice it on a parents TV which is 1080 and also has a PS3, a mate has a 720 and you can tell that it is a bit lower on resolution, but still pretty good. But as I didn't set out to choose a 720 TV why should I accept it is my conclusion I think!
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's certainly misleading, but the seller has been quite clever in that the bits they have written say HD Ready, and they specifically say they can't guarantee the "Manufacturer's Description" which states 1920X1080.

As you say, some sites out there do erroneously say it's 1920x 1080, including Ebay's own product description, and that's where they've quoted from.

Not sure what stance Ebay would take, but if the seller hasn't sent it off yet, I would get in touch and see if they will cancel the sale.
    If they cancel the sale and you agree, then the seller won't incurr any costs.

ETA: You did notice it said it comes without a remote, didn't you?
    Forum Member
    emptybox wrote: »
    It's certainly misleading, but the seller has been quite clever in that the bits they have written say HD Ready, and they specifically say they can't guarantee the "Manufacturer's Description" which states 1920X1080.

As you say, some sites out there do erroneously say it's 1920x 1080, including Ebay's own product description, and that's where they've quoted from.

Not sure what stance Ebay would take, but if the seller hasn't sent it off yet, I would get in touch and see if they will cancel the sale.
    If they cancel the sale and you agree, then the seller won't incurr any costs.

ETA: You did notice it said it comes without a remote, didn't you?

I did notice that, a universal remote would work, plus the remotes are £10-£15 on Ebay so I was prepared to live with that, but not the thing being the completely wrong resolution!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    Not sure where they got that "Manufacturer's description" from as the model looks to be obsolete and very little detail is available on the Sony website for it. There is still a Support page for it. Which if you scroll down far enough says it's 1366x768.

Though quite why the screen resolution is under "Eco and Energy saving" and not "Display" is anybody's guess:confused:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/KDL-32EX310/specifications
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its is fraud.

That is not manufacturers listing but a copy of Tesco's previous error.
    Crafty beggars are using this to grab sales.

Ask for a refund, it is they who inserted Display Resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels in the bay boxes, not Sony! Cheap TVs. It even seems Sony sold them to the public at £180 last year.

Simply file a claim. It is far too major an error for them not to provide a full 100% refund. If considering keeping it, settle for £50+ refund. They will probably still make a profit that way.

BTW those disclaimers as often as not mean they know they tell porkies.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we just bought a new full hd, 1080p TV - and we can tell the difference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we just bought a new full hd, 1080p TV - and we can tell the difference.

Depends on how good the previous HD Ready set was and how good the new one is.

A good HD ready will look a lot better than a poor Full-HD panel.
    Forum Member
    Got it now, screen quality really good as it's a Sony, but yes I can tell that it's not quite 1080p, the difference is kind of subtle really but I'm the sort of person who notices subtle differences in everything, and I have my parents 1080 TV which is also a Sony to compare it to. It's pretty good for SD broadcasts as the screen quality is closer to the resolution.

I'll probably live with it, sell it after a few months to get a full 1080 HD that I should have got in the first place, I've planned to do that when BBC THREE, FOUR, NEWS & CBBC HD launch which is when, next year?
  • MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's 1366 x 768 pixels. On a 32" it will make very little difference to 1920 x 1080. Incidentally HDready1080p indicates a 1920 x 1080 panel.

Nonsense. I so wish people would stop giving advice when they don't know what they are talking about.

You can never say what you have said without knowing the viewing distance. Without that, you're just just giving duff advice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mythica wrote: »
    Nonsense. I so wish people would stop giving advice when they don't know what they are talking about.

You can never say what you have said without knowing the viewing distance. Without that, you're just just giving duff advice.

You have to sit stupidly close to a full-HD display even a good one to see the difference. My Son has a HD-Ready 40" Sony. To see the difference on mine which is also 1920 x 1080 Sony you have to get about 2ft from the screen. Who watches a 40" screen from 2ft. So it's you who is giving duff advice. I have seem some diabolical pictures from supermarket brand Full-HD displays :eek:

The best pictures I ever saw on any TV was a Pioneer Kuro plasma, sadly now discontinued. Guess what it had 768 lines.
  • MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to sit stupidly close to a full-HD display even a good one to see the difference. My Son has a HD-Ready 40" Sony. To see the difference on mine which is also 1920 x 1080 Sony you have to get about 2ft from the screen. Who watches a 40" screen from 2ft. So it's you who is giving duff advice. I have seem some diabolical pictures from supermarket brand Full-HD displays :eek:

The best pictures I ever saw on any TV was a Pioneer Kuro plasma, sadly now discontinued. Guess what it had 768 lines.

See the truth comes out. How did I give duff info when I stated a fact, some people are so strange :confused:
  • 56up56up Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if the goalpost have moved, but when HD was first mooted, the standard was set such that any TV with a vertical resolution over 720 lines could be called HD.
    There were still plenty of 4:3 transmissions and hence panel sets so, if remember rightly the horizontal resolution was only about 800 or so (cannot remember the actual figure - comes with age).

So any set that met or exceeded those could justly be called HD (or HD ready at the time as there were no sets with built-in HD tuners).
    So 720p or 1080i, or 1080p if you have it) - all are HD.

And I agree with most, the difference between a 720p image and a 1080i is very difficult to see once you are more that a certain distance from the set. The actual distance depends on the size of the set and thus the subtended angle.

All my inputs go through an Onkyo amp which upscales everything to 1080p and I have no problems at all. The The set is a 60" 55 series 3D Samsung plasma.