What about the Beef in our Beef

gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
Forum Member
✭✭
So what is in our beef. As well as the horse, we ought to be concerned about the the beef.

If they can pass of horse as beef, they can sure as hell sneak condemned beef, unfit for human consumption, back into the beef chain,

that's the biggest problem, I would think.

would vets be sanctioning the horses as fit to eat? If the vets are doing their job properly then it's a labelling fraud at some point in the chain. If not, then it's much much worse.

Comments

• Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what is in our beef. As well as the horse, we ought to be concerned about the the beef.

If they can pass of horse as beef, they can sure as hell sneak condemned beef, unfit for human consumption, back into the beef chain,

would vets be sanctioning the horses as fit to eat? If the vets are doing their job properly then it's a labelling fraud at some point in the chain. If not, then it's much much worse.

Simple , buy from your local butcher and avoid the supermarkets
  • NatoPMTNatoPMT Posts: 3,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ahh the beef chain.

Cows munching on burgers, calves sampling bourguignon, free BSE for all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Auld Snody wrote: »

thats no guarantee, im sure their are rogue local/family butchers out there that throw in some roadkill to the mincer
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NatoPMT wrote: »
    ahh the beef chain.

Cows munching on burgers, calves sampling bourguignon, free BSE for all.

The beef chain sounds like a blues tribute act
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member

So you're saying 100% of butchers are trustworthy?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's face it, the French think we are idiots. We have made a laughing stock of ourselves.
    Forum Member
    Let's face it, the French think we are idiots. We have made a laughing stock of ourselves.

Why do you say that? The scandal has affected the French as well you know.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What troubles me is that instead of saying 'Stop beefing over it!' do we now have to say 'Stop chomping on your horse!'?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    will you still be buying / eating beef..?
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UK beef is incredibly monitored, as I said in another thread op.
    You can't monitor other countries though can you. They aren't as strict as us because we have "form".
    It's also interesting to note that the horse was picked up in the uk/Ireland because of our testing anyway, do you really think every country tests as much as even we do? (Which is still not enough).

This whole thing is appalling, but remember that it is a criminal conspiracy and not the result of legitimate sources.
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    The latest scare over teinted meat shouldnt be such a Surprise - von Bismarck is on record for quoting along the lines of -

"Never ask what goes into making laws and sausages' !
  • WeetibixWeetibix Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When did we start worrying about what the French thought of us?
  • excelentsexcelents Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what is in our beef ?

Soylent Green :cool:
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A chicken from the average butcher is approximately 3 times the price of one from Tesco, mainly due to economies of scale.

A large chunk of the country simply can't afford regular butchers.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you're saying 100% of butchers are trustworthy?

Not to mention a lot more expensive too and you've still no guarantee that it's safe. What people are overlooking is what are they fed on? How do we know the feed or the chemicals/fertilisers used on the land/grass where the cows graze is safe for us to consume? It only takes a farmer to cut corners or use a cheap alternative and it's in the meat that you're eating and the milk which you drink. Just because something says it's 100% pure beef doesn't make it all ok.

Only way to be safe is to buy direct from an organic farm shop that doesn't use harsh pesticides and herbicides on the land where the cattle graze and instead uses natural fertilisers and organic feed. Sadly you pay premium prices for such things. A price which most of us can't afford.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Not to mention a lot more expensive too and you've still no guarantee that it's safe. What people are overlooking is what are they fed on? How do we know the feed or the chemicals/fertilisers used on the land/grass where the cows graze is safe for us to consume? It only takes a farmer to cut corners or use a cheap alternative and it's in the meat that you're eating and the milk which you drink. Just because something says it's 100% pure beef doesn't make it all ok.

Only way to be safe is to buy direct from an organic farm shop that doesn't use harsh pesticides and herbicides on the land where the cattle graze and instead uses natural fertilisers and organic feed. Sadly you pay premium prices for such things. A price which most of us can't afford.

I think you need to look at the allowable chemical list for organic farmers, and decide if you'd want to consume that too.
    Annoys me when folk think that commercial organic farming is perfect and nothing is used. It really is.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    geniusgirl wrote: »
    I think you need to look at the allowable chemical list for organic farmers, and decide if you'd want to consume that too.
    Annoys me when folk think that commercial organic farming is perfect and nothing is used. It really is.

True. But it's probably still the safest option bar raising your own cattle and slaughtering it yourself or turning veggie but even with veg you still don't know what chemicals have been used to grow them. Unless were all prepared to raise and grow our own food we must put our trust in suppliers.

I think the best option is to shop local and support your local butchers and farm shops or buy direct from a reputable abatoir. At least that way you're keeping local businesses and farmers in a living and not giving your money to large corporate fat cats who's only concern is making big proffits and putting small businesses out of business. Plus you know exactly where it's coming from.

After all this fiasco I'm going back to my local farm shop/butcher. I don't care if it IS a bit more expensive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why ??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The beef in your average steak and kidney pie is the same as you would find in a tin of dog food, its how they use up the left over rubbish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You mean the French who have suspended the license one of their own companies for deceiving French and European consumers with beef products that were horse? Just because they eat horse doesn't mean they're not angry horse is being sold as beef.
    Forum Member
    gerr60 wrote: »
    The beef in your average steak and kidney pie is the same as you would find in a tin of dog food, its how they use up the left over rubbish.

Don't really care as long as it is actually beef.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What amazes me is that anyone found meat of ANY type in these lasagne and burgers. The last time I bought a frozen lasagne while on a self catering holiday many years ago it finished up in the dustbin and we found a fish and chip shop for a meal instead.

I wonder how long it will be to find that organic marked produce is not actually organic. What proof is there. A box of organic supermarket organic potatoes or any fruit of vegetables can be filled with an inorganic version if they ran out, who would know.

At the extortionate price this organic stuff is, nothing would surprise me.

I will stick with my local butcher who can at least tell me the farm his meat comes from and he is not that much more expensive than a supermarket, but then I do not mind spending my money on decent meat from a local source.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gerr60 wrote: »

Iceland have the worst S & K pies, simply slop. If I dont make my own, an ASDA S & K deep pie will do at a pinch.

As for the "superior" retailers, I wouldnt touch an M & S pie if you paid me. The last one of them I bought went straight in the bin, as it was composed almost entirely of fat and gristle....