BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    What a cracking analysis. And written in the middle of the night too. Along with "fairness" and "equality", are you familiar with the words "obsessive" and "vendetta"?
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Middle of the night'

Jim jams, hot water bottle and bed by 10.30pm is it ?
    Forum Member
    'Middle of the night'

Jim jams, hot water bottle and bed by 10.30pm is it ?

When I start work at 5am, yes, it sometimes is.
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a cracking analysis. And written in the middle of the night too. Along with "fairness" and "equality", are you familiar with the words "obsessive" and "vendetta"?

Obsessive ?

Thats you isn't it Mapperley ?

8600 posts to date and still counting.......all I should imagine defending the BBC .......together with your good self having a vendetta against other posters who express an opinion if even slightly critical of presenters or how the organisation is run.Really weird.I take it you are you the ' Fedster ' guy on the 5live blogs who hates every poster having a critical opinion of the BBC.... ?He's an early riser,so he keeps informing us all.Don't tell me you work for the beeb as well ?

Any how top post Lone Drinker.
    Forum Member
    Obsessive ?

Thats you isn't it Mapperley ?

8600 posts to date and still counting.......all I should imagine defending the BBC .......together with your good self having a vendetta against other posters who express an opinion if even slightly critical of presenters or how the organisation is run.Really weird.I take it you are you the ' Fedster ' guy on the 5live blogs who hates every poster having a critical opinion of the BBC.... ?He's an early riser,so he keeps informing us all.Don't tell me you work for the beeb as well ?

Any how top post Lone Drinker.

I'm not expecting you to read all of those posts, but that's over a period of three years.

And if you did, you'd see that I contribute to many commercial radio threads too.

I have robust debates with other posters. I don't follow their every move, every day. As I have explained previously, I'm open to valid constructive criticism - but not to keeping a detailed tally on a presenter simply because you happen to dislike them. That's obsessive by anyone's standards.

No idea who fedster is. I work various shifts, so not always an early riser.
  • mmlabbdmmlabbd Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As we , the licence fee payer, pay Derbyshire's BBC salary of £250,000 a year

Collectively maybe, but your contribution to her salary (if indeed it was that high) is approx 1p per year (if you even pay your licence)...so on your own, your opinion on Ms Derbyshire is worth about 0.007% :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not expecting you to read all of those posts, but that's over a period of three years.

And if you did, you'd see that I contribute to many commercial radio threads too.

I have robust debates with other posters. I don't follow their every move, every day. As I have explained previously, I'm open to valid constructive criticism - but not to keeping a detailed tally on a presenter simply because you happen to dislike them. That's obsessive by anyone's standards.

I think you are becoming a little confused about obsession and members of the general public/licence fee payers keeping a watchful eye on how the BBC operates .To me that is only a good thing and if the BBC hadn't been so over protective of its supposedly ' star names ' in the past then certain recent well publicised situations may not have arisen.
  • mmlabbdmmlabbd Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fact, while were talking wages - lets just remind people that the entirety of 5live only costs licence fee payers £2.82 a year (24p per month if you like) about half the price of one Daily Mail per month...so shall we keep that in our heads when talking about money we all pay.
  • Scottie_McClueScottie_McClue Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    It would appear that you are. ;)
    Forum Member
    I think you are becoming a little confused about obsession and members of the general public/licence fee payers keeping a watchful eye on how the BBC operates .To me that is only a good thing and if the BBC hadn't been so over protective of its supposedly ' star names ' in the past then certain recent well publicised situations may not have arisen.

Really? We have a poster who would appear to tune into the Five Live webcame every day for no other purpose than monitoring a presenter's attendance in a studio.

As others have explained, an individual licence fee payer contributes a tiny amount to Five Live's budget. Now, if there were thousands of people complaining about this issue, you might just have a point. Fact is, most listeners really aren't interested.

And if you're honestly trying to link this matter to, say, Jimmy Savile, that really is clutching at straws.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And if you're honestly trying to link this matter to, say, Jimmy Savile, that really is clutching at straws.

I don't think I mentioned Jimmy Savile but there you go ? I am not so sure that the general public have as much confidence as you appear to have in how the the BBC is run and I welcome the fact that people pay attention to and question( and the same can be said for any big organisation )is a worthwhile exercise and I happen to think that that is a good thing.If you feel that questions shouldn't be asked then just ignore and be complacent about the whole thing... with any amount of excuses, it obviously doesn't interest or concern you ?
    Forum Member
    I don't think I mentioned Jimmy Savile but I am not so sure that the general public have as much confidence as you appear to have in how the the BBC is run and I welcome the fact that people pay attention to and question( and the same can be said for any big organisation )is a worthwhile exercise and I happen to think that that is a good thing.If you feel that questions shouldn't be asked then just ignore and be complacent about the whole thing... with any amount of excuses, it obviously doesn't interest or concern you ?

Ok then, which recently well publicised story were you referring to in the BBC "protecting" its stars?
  • The Magic MonkeyThe Magic Monkey Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Rachel Burden
    Married, young children and looks to have move the family up with her.

Shelagh Fogherty
    Presents most of her shows from Salford

Richard Bacon
    As London centric as they come. Married , young child, but still presents from Salford 4 days a week, most weeks.

Peter Allen
    The doyenne of the daily crew. Past retirement age but still willing to travel up to the North to do the jobs most days. And unlike the statement in a previous post, he was back at work wednesday as was Burden

Mostly correct, however:

Burden did indeed move lock, stock to the north.
    Shelagh, to be fair, does present every show from Salford, EXCEPT for the Wednesday ones from parliamant, when it's sitting.
    Bacon is in London a lot more often than you think. Probably running at about 50/50 London/Salford.
    Peter Allen lives up there during the week, just like he did when 5 Live was in London. No skin off his nose.
  • Flashy VicFlashy Vic Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmlabbd wrote: »
    In fact, while were talking wages - lets just remind people that the entirety of 5live only costs licence fee payers £2.82 a year (24p per month if you like) about half the price of one Daily Mail per month...so shall we keep that in our heads when talking about money we all pay.
    But people have a choice whether they want to buy the Daily Mail or not. And not get threatened with prison if they refuse.
  • MGBCTVMGBCTV Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do people want from 5 Live given it has DQF to deal with
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmlabbd wrote: »

The sum paid as an amount doesn't really matter does it? It could be 2p a month its still public money that has to be paid if you watch & listen to live media or get fined/go to prison you can choose to buy the daily mail or the guardian but their journalists get criticised too
    - of course its a small amount individually -
    we all pay an amount of tax so also entitled to criticise the council or government & hold them up to public scrutiny - likewise with the BBC we are all entitled to our 24 penny's worth too.....

The whole Salford thing is a massive cost exercise...the relocation costs of staff have been an enormous waste so when the key staff are still in London & are being transported/loaned flats etc. People quite rightly are a bit miffed.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Empty chair in Salford again.
    Forum Member

Oh good. That's saved me a job...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Mondays are ITV rather than Salford.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The move to Salford was planned years ago and all the daytime presenters would have been given the choice to move with the station or leave for pastures new.

I wonder what the conditions for this were.
    Of course, if Derbyshire is as good as everyone makes out - all these awards etc - she would have no problem finding another job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mondays are ITV rather than Salford.

Wonder what wednesday, thursday and friday were last week then ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder what wednesday, thursday and friday were last week then ?

I don't know but choosing to appear on ITV instead of travelling to Salford is taking the p*ss.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know but choosing to appear on ITV instead of travelling to Salford is taking the p*ss.

A permanent move for Derbyshire to ITV would solve alot of problems .....for her and some many listeners.ITV is just about her level, so it would a marriage made in heaven.Given her ambition and contacts I am just awaiting for the announcement that she is leaving 5live and has muscled her way into appearing on Daybreak or some other dire programme as a presenter.

The last time I watched anything on ITV, Ena Sharples was still in Coronation Street and Florrie Lindley owned the corner shop.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

it is isn't it? So is she freelancer rather than staff then? I thought she was on a well publicised BBC contract at great cost...
    since 5live recently ran the scandal of supply teachers avoiding tax they have been very quiet about the freelance presenters who have done exactly the same thing but I believed she was on staff in which case why is she also on ITV?

I doubt a permanent ITV move as lack of higher up contacts there....however I thought staying in London was for family reasons not career ones....

It seems the thread has been mostly targeting Derbyshire but sure there are others also unfortunately she is high profile so will get much attention....

The trouble is the whole Salford move is a massive white elephant - like it or not in the regions & up north but London is the capital & centre of so much particularly the politics,finance & media & to move away from that was ludicrous & costly.....that means those presenters who want it both ways will get criticised for it......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    but I believed she was on staff in which case why is she also on ITV?

She reviews the papers on Lorraine - as does Aasmah Mir occasionally.
This discussion has been closed.