Interview for Sainsburys - New procedure

bingoesbingoes Posts: 4,378
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Have interview for Sainsbury's tomorrow. Been told new procedure for interview will involve questions on DVD and a maths test :eek: Hate interviews, anyone been for an interview lately and know what the maths test involves, freaking out over the maths test in an interview environment.

Any advice will be appreciated - thanks :D

Comments

• HelicaseHelicase Posts: 4,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dear lord! Just for a job at Sainsbury's? I've been saying this a long time but sooner or later people will need degrees just wipe their arses!
  • Melanie858Melanie858 Posts: 3,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ I think it depends on the job though. There are a lot more jobs at Sainsbury's behind the scenes, than just the checkout staff. Management, buying, marketing etc.

OP what job is it you are going for that you need to do these tests? I have always been awful at maths tests in interviews, even though normally my maths is not bad!
  • I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    Sounds fine to me.

I went for around 12 interviews in the mid-90s when I jumped from my first job. Then, psychometrics tests were the sexy thing and you had them at every interview.

Most interviews were comprised of two interviews, except the one I had for Hitachi. That had 4 interviews.
    Interview 1 was to assess you generally. Interview 2 was a technical one. Interview 3 was a personnel type one. If you got through those three, the 4th interview was a final one with the bigwigs. Also, a bigwig from Japan was sent over. He would stand outside the room, behind you, staring in at you, while the others interviewed you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't advise you about that, sorry. All I know is that my boyfriend went for an interview for them when he was about 16. The interview was a bit long winded, considering it was just for a part time checkout operator. They took his measurements and everything for the uniform. They said they would be in contact with him to tell him the outcome of the interview, either way.. even if he had been unsuccessful. He never heard anything from them ever again.
  • feistyfeisty Posts: 2,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helicase wrote: »
    Dear lord! Just for a job at Sainsbury's? I've been saying this a long time but sooner or later people will need degrees just wipe their arses!

I sincerely hope they would be assessing numeracy and literacy skills....

Google example numeracy and literacy tests

Here is one to start with....and good luck
    http://www.move-on.org.uk/testyourskills.asp#
  • bingoesbingoes Posts: 4,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The position is for a counter assistant. Presume that it is on the fresh foods - weighing and all that. Although I do think that the maths test is for every position now within the store ?

I have worked in M&S sometime ago and was on checkout in the food hall, you didn't need to use your brain for that as everything is worked out for you on the till.

I just know I will fail the maths test - my head will be in a mush state already at the interview :confused:
  • I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    bingoes wrote: »
    The position is for a counter assistant. Presume that it is on the fresh foods - weighing and all that. Although I do think that the maths test is for every position now within the store ?

I have worked in M&S sometime ago and was on checkout in the food hall, you didn't need to use your brain for that as everything is worked out for you on the till.

I just know I will fail the maths test - my head will be in a mush state already at the interview :confused:

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
  • HelixHelix Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Counter Assistant is likely Deli or Fish counter, or possible other counters depends how big the store is.

I have heard the maths test is quite easy. Things like there are 10 bottles on the shelf and jane adds 4 more. How many bottle are on the shelf? I started just before the DVD and Maths Test was introduced.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    Make sure you know the difference between and butter and margarine...
  • angelssupremeangelssupreme Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    you may also get a health and safety thing and a customer service test as well

just brush up on your times tables or sneak a calculator in lol

they can also ask you how you will cope in various situations as well, some one i know had that at an interview for them and didnt get the job

i work for them and doubt i would pass the interview now :rolleyes:

just remmeber that health and safety and customer first

and if its counters if you are unsure of the quality of the food then you dont put it out, a good one is to say you would seek advice from you manager, if they say the manager is not around then say you wouldnt use the food in question

any more advice pm me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    angelssupreme

10-09-2009 Have interview for Sainsbury's tomorrow.
  • KnowAll27KnowAll27 Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    9ct mould wrote: »
    Make sure you know the difference between and butter and margarine...

This is undoubtedly the most important advice anyone here has given you!:D

Seriously though, good luck.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is a sign of the times that companies are doing this, they want somebody vaguely literate and numerate. TBH OP, I think this says more about the perceived education standards than you personally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eng123 wrote: »
    I think it is a sign of the times that companies are doing this, they want somebody vaguely literate and numerate. TBH OP, I think this says more about out education standards than you personally.

I think this is somewhat of an insult to the retail staff in this country..vaguely literate and numerate....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    feisty wrote: »
    I think this is somewhat of an insult to the retail staff in this country..vaguely literate and numerate....

I think you are misunderstanding me. I am looking at it from the Sainsbury mindset. They think it will be cost effective to test people before they employ them, that they are numerate and literate before they offer a job. That way they don't find out later that somebody is illiterate and inumerate. They have the pick of the job market right now so can be choosier as to who they employ.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eng123 wrote: »
    I think you are misunderstanding me. I am looking at it from the Sainsbury mindset. They think it will be cost effective to test people before they employ them, that they are numerate and literate before they offer a job. That way they don't find out later that somebody is illiterate and inumerate. They have the pick of the job market right now so can be choosier as to who they employ.

What I was actually trying to say that this is no reflection on the OP, but perhaps they think education standards have dropped and the quality of education of people appyling as dropped.

I didn't misundertsand you at all...Fortunately I am literate and I read exactly what you wrote...Maybe you should have expanded on yr first comment... as your two seperate comments having 2 entirely different meanings....
  • bingoesbingoes Posts: 4,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all for the advice. Had the interview, maths and DVD test were easy. After had one to one, got on well with the woman she said she would recommend that I was given the position :D although she said HR would have the final say and that she couldn't guarantee it would be the case and 'someone' would get back to me asap. Well, I've heard nothing since, so presume the position has gone to someone else or that I failed the DVD/maths test (surely not). Oh well I'll keep plodding on looking for a vacancy :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all for the advice. Had the interview, maths and DVD test were easy. After had one to one, got on well with the woman she said she would recommend that I was given the position :D although she said HR would have the final say and that she couldn't guarantee it would be the case and 'someone' would get back to me asap. Well, I've heard nothing since, so presume the position has gone to someone else or that I failed the DVD/maths test (surely not). Oh well I'll keep plodding on looking for a vacancy :confused:

Why don't you ring them and find out for sure?? Might just be that they are interviewing a lot of people so it's taking longer to get back to people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surely the only numerical part of working behind the counter is matching the number on the screen to the number on the customers ticket ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new Sainsbury's recruitment DVD is a breeze if you are doing an interview for a colleague level job (cashier etc...).

There is a section on customer service scenarios, a VERY simple maths section, I can't express how simple it is! Very very simple. Then a psychometric section where you have to agree or disagree with statements to see how your 'values' match with those of Sainsbury's.

After the DVD your interviewer will ask you some statutory questions like your right to work in the UK, criminal convictions, previous employers etc... They will also ask why you applied for the job, what you know about Sainsbury's, and why you think you would be good at the job you have applied for. They will also ask you what you think the job involves.

If you have applied for a Team Leader job then the DVD is different and the maths test a bit harder, you also have to do a role play and a scheduling excercise - writing out a department schedule for a week and meeting a load of criteria.

If it is a management or trainee manager job then you will have 2 interviews, no DVD is used, the interviews last half a day and you have a lot of tasks to do - problem solving things etc...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Call the number for the HR support centre as they should contact you to let you know either way whether you got it or not.
  • HelixHelix Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I would contact central HR they have a reputation for being a bit slow with things. It could be on there system that you have the job but they haven't bothered to contact you yet.
  • GeorgiecatsGeorgiecats Posts: 6,628
    Forum Member
    Just do your best in your interview and if you don't know something then say so! Coming across as your natural self is always the best policy. Fretting about various tests (I've had typing tests and then a separate interview so double the fretting) is pointless as you can't know in advance what to expect really. I would think the maths would be something pretty basic.

One good point though - I know employers who put a certain word on people's forms they would never employ. Their crime? They're jabber away like idiots and are hyper and shrieky and as excitable as a bag of frogs.

So don't do that.