Could they recast JR now that Larry has died?

alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
Forum Member
They are half way through filming the series - so not sure how they can do it as they whole storyline for the 2nd series has been written?

Recast him?

Comments

• steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is wrong with using the Dallas thread?:confused:
  • Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    I don't think they could. His fans would be angry I'm sure and after so many years playing JR it wouldn't be right for someone else to do it.
  • alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    What is wrong with using the Dallas thread?:confused:

I know, sorry, I did realis after I did it

How can I merge it into it??
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    alienpanda wrote: »
    They are half way through filming the series - so not sure how they can do it as they whole storyline for the 2nd series has been written?

Recast him?

There is no way anybody else could play JR.
  • heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mersey70 wrote: »
    There is no way anybody else could play JR.

Too right.
  • CpCCpC Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    No to recasting just let him die off like they did jock, as was said he is not replacable.
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Jim Davis died they didn't recast Jock, they didn't recast Bobby either when Patrick Duffy first wanted to leave. The only main character they ever recast was Miss Ellie and that was a disaster they reversed within a year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have probably already filmed an ending in case it happened as they knew he was ill.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They won't replace him - HE made the show what it was tbh. No one can do JR like he did.

I think like Steveh31 said - they knew he was ill so they had probably prepared for a 'just in case' scenario. If not then I'm sure they'll give JR the greatest send off a soap has ever had.

Larry Hagman = TV Legend.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    They have probably already filmed an ending in case it happened as they knew he was ill.

Doesn't look like it. Deadline reported that he had already shot 5 or 6 episodes of season 2.
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Larry Hagman IS JR. He's one of the most iconic TV characters ever. It's frankly delusional to even think that recasting him would ever be considered. RIP Larry.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    When Jim Davis died they didn't recast Jock, they didn't recast Bobby either when Patrick Duffy first wanted to leave. The only main character they ever recast was Miss Ellie and that was a disaster they reversed within a year.
    Well, Pam Ewing was recast after Victoria Principal left, first by an extra in bandages and later by lookalike actress Margaret Michaels for a farewell scene.

Of course, it would be insane to recast J.R. Ewing. The only 'recasting' would involve a body double to match-up new scenes to whatever footage they already have in the can.
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,929
    Forum Member
    In no way can they recast J.R. Ewing as it would be an insult to the character and to Larry Hagman. R.I.P.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Doesn't look like it. Deadline reported that he had already shot 5 or 6 episodes of season 2.

That doesn't mean they didn't film one in case actually this could turn into a bonus for the tv companies and send ratings shooting up and bring even more interest into the revival.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That doesn't mean they didn't film one in case actually this could turn into a bonus for the tv companies and send ratings shooting up and bring even more interest into the revival.
    Well, J.R. had a couple of 'soft' departures in the first season of the revival which could easily have led to the character going on the run when his crimes were uncovered back in Dallas. I expect the production team have done everything possible to give Larry the most appropriate send-off.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 29,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even mentioning a JR recast is insulting. Larry is JR and no one else should ever play that role ever!!
  • spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Recast him?

Absolutely no way could anyone other than Larry Hagman play J.R; I would suggest he dies in a helicopter crash over Southfork; then James could return to fight over J.R's millions with Jon Ross, oh & throw in a secret child born to Mandy Winger - fathered by J.R.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The writers knew that Larry was ill, & of course old, so I'm sure they have a contingency plan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »

It wouldn't have been half as bad if they'd dressed Donna Reid in the same clothes as Barbara Bel Geddes, & done her make-up & hair the same.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Recast him?

Don't be absurd!
  • David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    He'd already filmed six episodes of the 15 ordered for Season 2; they have time to re-write a suitable ending for his exit.

Sad thing to have to do, but I'm sure they'll give him a great send-off. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    No..there is only one JR Ewing and that was Larry Hagman ..RIP :(
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. People die, so write it into the story and give him a good send off on screen as he would get off screen. It's what JR would have wanted :D
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a difficult one. My heart says you can't recast such an iconic character. My head says that Dallas can't be the same without JR. Tough spot. RIP Larry though - an absolute legend.