www.dreams.co.uk/bed/tv-beds/san-diego-tv-bed-grey-2/

but forget to check if it has a headphone socket;which it doesn't

and was wondering if anybody knew if there was a way around
this

thanks

Comments

• Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Wireless headphones may work if you have aux output on the TV.

Alternatively you can run the TV audio through an external sound system that does have a headphone jack, not really ideal for the bedroom though.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately that link is useless. Tells us nothing about the TV that is helpful in sorting the problem.

If there is no headphone socket then you are relying on whatever audio output it does have, if any. And of course any audio out it does have may well be unsuitable to drive a pair of headphones directly. So you will need some alternative amplifier to actually drive the headphones. Which given the TV is built into the bed could make that an interesting challenge!

If the TV has analogue audio outputs on a pair of phonos then an option could be feeding that to the base station of a set of cordless headphones. That would solve the amplification issue. Similarly if there is a SCART wired for output that could be used with a suitable adapter plug or lead instead.

Things get a little more complicated if there is no analogue output of any sort, either dedicated phonos or via SCART. If the only output is digital then you either need to find a pair of headphones with a digital input (think I may have seen a Sennheiser set that does) or an amplifier with digital in or a separate digital to analogue converter to interface with an amplifier.

And of course if there is no audio output of any sort you are kind of stuffed for options. Unless you are handy with a soldering iron and fancy taking the telly apart and wiring your own headphone socket up!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    TV Specifications:
    - 26 inch HD
    - TV Model: DH2601
    - Display: LED
    - HD Ready
    - Contrast Ratio: 5,000:1
    - Motion Clarity: 60Hz
    - 3 HDMI Sockets
    - 1 USB port
    - Audio Output: 8W and 8W
    - Consumption: 70

is this any help??
    Forum Member
    don't know if this will be any help?

input termina is

ANT
    3 HDMI
    VGA
    YPbPr
    CVBS
    USB
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TV Specifications:
    - 26 inch HD
    - TV Model: DH2601
    - Display: LED
    - HD Ready
    - Contrast Ratio: 5,000:1
    - Motion Clarity: 60Hz
    - 3 HDMI Sockets
    - 1 USB port
    - Audio Output: 8W and 8W
    - Consumption: 70

is this any help??
    I saw that on the Dreams webpage. Unfortunately it doesn't give the relevant information, namely what, if any, audio outputs it has and of what type (ie SCART, analogue phono, optical digital or coaxial digital).

Without that information it is impossible to advise specifically what you would need. If it was a name brand like LG or Samsung for example then that information might be available on the manufacturers website but it sounds like it is some no-name Vestel or similar clone job. So might be harder to find anything useful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    don't know if this will be any help?

input termina is

ANT
    3 HDMI
    VGA
    YPbPr
    CVBS
    USB
    Again still no good unfortunately. Inputs are irrelevant, it is Outputs that we need to know about.
    Forum Member
    ok thanks will try and post what the booklet that came with it says it has.will have to do it later as i don;t have time now

but thanks for your help so far anyway
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr's post covers quite a few of the main points and sums up what I was thinking when reading the main post. You won't find a solution with a few bits of cable and some plugs for a tenner.

FWIW, here's a summary of the obstacles to overcome and why just wire and plugs won't work.
    • First, you need a line output on the TV. Without this there's no point going any further. Since very few TVs have a dedicated stereo line output any more then you're looking at either a SCART socket for analogue audio or the digital audio out on a optical cable
    • Once you have an audio out, the next issue is volume control. Line outputs are rarely adjustable via the TV handset. So you need to find a box that has a volume control too.
    • Next, where's the power going to come from? I doubt there's any extra provision in the bed end. So this means either powering it from a wall socket and getting tangled in cables, or having something battery powered.

If you want to use the headphones you already own, then the practical answer is a long cable from the TV to a small box by the bed that is either battery powered or driven from a wallwart type transformer. This will put your volume control next to you rather than at the end of the bed. If you just want some sound. then as long as they accept a line level input and have a way of controlling the volume then a set of wireless headphones would be the cheaper solution I think.

For a small headphone amp that appears to tick all the boxes except the optical input then have a look at the Fiio E7

If it's going to get messy and expensive dealing with converting optical to analogue and then amplifying it then consider changing the TV instead. I the long run that would be a more sensible option; especially since the San Diego bed has nothing larger than a 26" TV fitted.
    Forum Member
    Right here's what the booklet says,

HDMI INPUT
    SCART
    PC AUDIO INPUT
    PC-RGB IN
    TV SIGNAL IN
    COAX OUPUT
    USB INPUT
    CI
    VIDEO INPUT
    L/R IN
    YPbPrINPUT

this doesn't make a lot of sense to me I hope it does to someone else who could possible help me thanks
    Forum Member
    The TV has a digital output, it could be possible that 5.1 headphones will work, I have never used them so couldn't confirm either way, hopefully another member can.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So far the only headphones I can find with a coaxial digital input are these

http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_hifi_wireless-headphones_502029

Only downside is they are about 300-350 quid a pop!
  • FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what happens when you do not research on a product or an item that you want to buy.
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »

http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_hifi_wireless-headphones_502029

They are expensive.

I saw some 5.1 headphones on Ebuyer, no idea of the quality, they were £132, they had an optical input though, but a coaxial to optical converter would take care of that.

http://www.ebuyer.com/398180-tritton-ax-pro-plus-dolby-5-1-true-surround-gaming-headset-tri90303b001-02-1?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products&gclid=CMqunJPqgLYCFYbHtAodvhoA4Q
    Forum Member
    thanks for your help everyone,is it worth me trying the 5.1 first as 300-500 quid is a lot of money
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about something like this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/SCART-adaptor-3-5mm-socket-audio/dp/B000BN6L8Q

You would need a headphone amp to go with it but the cost would be a lot less than 5.1 headphones though obviously the quality will be less.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »

I have these (they have optical s/pdif)

http://www.waeplus.co.uk/item/123687/MDR-DS6500---Wireless-Headphones---black?ref=gooad&gclid=CIeSh5-BgbYCFUnMtAodIk4Ahw
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    What about something like this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/SCART-adaptor-3-5mm-socket-audio/dp/B000BN6L8Q

You would need a headphone amp to go with it but the cost would be a lot less than 5.1 headphones though obviously the quality will be less.

I think 'less quality' is rather misleading - while in theory it may be correct, in practice any difference is going to be many, many times below the chances of hearing any difference.
    Forum Member
    Your all so utterly knowledgeable,and I'm so confused now.
    your all really helpful,but without spending too much money,which way would you all recommend I go first?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your all so utterly knowledgeable,and I'm so confused now.
    your all really helpful,but without spending too much money,which way would you all recommend I go first?

Scart adaptor connected to a cheap pair of cordless headphones (the adaptor may well come with the headphones). Prices start from about £25.00 though for quality I would use Senheissers. You need to check that the scart socket outputs audio with the TV volume muted or turned down. There is often a setting in the TV setup menus to select a fixed level audio output from scart.
    Forum Member
    There is often a setting in the TV setup menus to select a fixed level audio output from scart.

Sorry Graham, I would disagree with that statement - the output from a SCART is almost certainly going to be at a fixed level, it would be EXTREMELY rare for it to be adjustable, or even have a menu option to be adjustable.

I don't think I've ever seen any such option on a TV?, although such features are relatively common for headphone/line outputs. The whole point of a SCART is that it's a fixed standard level.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry Graham, I would disagree with that statement - the output from a SCART is almost certainly going to be at a fixed level, it would be EXTREMELY rare for it to be adjustable, or even have a menu option to be adjustable.

I don't think I've ever seen any such option on a TV?, although such features are relatively common for headphone/line outputs. The whole point of a SCART is that it's a fixed standard level.

Confusing menu on my Sony TV, The menu option says AV Audio Output Fixed/Variable (is the scart not an AV output :confused: ). The TV scart on a pvr is invariably variable, the vcr scart fixed so it's not true a scart audio output is always fixed level.
    Forum Member
    Confusing menu on my Sony TV, The menu option says AV Audio Output Fixed/Variable (is the scart not an AV output :confused: ).

Isn't that for the phono sockets on an older set, or the headphone/line output on a modern one? - not SCART.

The TV scart on a pvr is invariably variable, the vcr scart fixed so it's not true a scart audio output is always fixed level.

That's Humax for you, they have never been able to design SCART sockets properly :D

The crazy variable audio from the Humax remote is just a bodged method instead of making the remote work the TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't that for the phono sockets on an older set, or the headphone/line output on a modern one? - not SCART.

That's Humax for you, they have never been able to design SCART sockets properly :D

The crazy variable audio from the Humax remote is just a bodged method instead of making the remote work the TV.

As far as I remember other kit is identical, the Topfield certainly is. Not sure if it's just the rca audio outs, never tried the scart, like I said the menu is ambiguous.
    Forum Member
    As far as I remember other kit is identical, the Topfield certainly is.

So another company who can't be bothered to do it correctly :D

Not sure if it's just the rca audio outs, never tried the scart, like I said the menu is ambiguous.

I'm pretty sure it's only the phono outputs, there would be no need or reason to want to make the SCART output variable.
  • misarmisar Posts: 3,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure it's only the phono outputs, there would be no need or reason to want to make the SCART output variable.

I have three boxes connected to an old Philips CRT TV, all via SCART:
    - old Thompson (TUTV) Freeview PVR
    - old Silver Crest FTA satellite
    - modern Technika Freeview HD

Just checked and the remote volume controls on all three boxes change the TV volume (from 0 to max). The TV remote volume control also controls the volume (within the limit set on the boxes) unless you select mute on the boxes (all 3) which kills the sound.

I used to have another CRT TV where I took the SCART sound output from the TV to my hifi. In that case changing the TV volume did not change the SCART output volume.

Possibly the two different uses (directions) of SCART outputs are causing the confusion.