Any Linux/Ubuntu experts out there?

ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
Forum Member
Just got a new Chromebook and installed Ubuntu on an SD card. I can log in fine with the username and password I set up during installation but to connect to wifi (amongst other things) I need to provide the password for 'root'...which I don't remember setting during installation. Unfortunately to set the 'root' password from terminal I appear to need the 'root' password so I'm in a catch-22.

Apparently it's relatively to easy to reset the root password in recovery mode but none of the standard suggestions I've read for getting into recovery mode appear to work on the Chromebook.

I appreciate it's a real shot in the dark but has anyone got any inspiration?

Comments

• flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's a standard Ubuntu install then the password you use to log on with should be all you need - there hasn't been a need for a separate root password for years.
  • bob187bob187 Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From a terminal window, try "sudo passwd root"

Assuming your user account is in the sudoers group, this will allow you to reset te root password.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Root is diabled by default in Ubuntu.
    You should be able to make any changes by using the password you entered when installing Ubuntu
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    flynn wrote: »
    If it's a standard Ubuntu install then the password you use to log on with should be all you need - there hasn't been a need for a separate root password for years.
    1saintly wrote: »
    Root is diabled by default in Ubuntu.
    You should be able to make any changes by using the password you entered when installing Ubuntu

I'm very much a LINUX novice but I don't think it is standard. I've seen it elsewhere referred to as 'ChrUbuntu' (although not in the instructions I'm following).
    Forum Member
    bob187 wrote: »
    From a terminal window, try "sudo passwd root"

Assuming your user account is in the sudoers group, this will allow you to reset te root password.

The user account isn't in that group unfortunately.

However I'm working now on the theory that that command, or something similar, has been missed out of the installation instructions I'm following. I've restarted the installation process and added that line in where I think it needs to go.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know you can access Linux in Chrome via the developer mode? Just install Crouton, it works inside Chrome so you keep the benefit of the Chrome box whilst being able to do more power user command line stuff seamlessly.
    Forum Member
    rosetech wrote: »
    You know you can access Linux in Chrome via the developer mode? Just install Crouton, it works inside Chrome so you keep the benefit of the Chrome box whilst being able to do more power user command line stuff seamlessly.

I've got my 'ChrUbuntu' dual boot working properly now - as I suspected the installation instructions I was working from had an omission - but I'll bear this in mind for the future.

Thanks all for the input.